Kyros USB Host + device list

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I can try this but I suspect that adding in multiple USB devices that need the power supplied from the tablet USB port may be a problem. A separately powered USB hub would probably be required.
I have one of these and I'll give it a shot with kyb and thumb drive.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Ok ... I have tried in a Belkin usb 4port hub micro hub 1.1 . I get power but it reboots tablet and also i have LCDDensity. i set my screen to 160 and when it rebooted it reset to default 240.
I also had a microsoft comfort optical mouse 1000 pluged in. it worked. No curser but i was able to scroll page and right click to sellect. It did not work with hub pluged in. and i reset my density and retried the gub alone and tablet rebooted ans reseted the density.

MykolW

Jan 19, 2011
Patriot Rage 8 GB USB stick works fine
Super Flash Drive 8GB USB stick works fine
Reboots on a 120G hard drive

...and now for my fave...

Creative Vision M 60GB media Player with 32GB formatted for a "Removable Disk". It's a self powered Hard Drive (for all intents and purposes). The drive doesn't mount, but I can launch files from the file browser.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Is there away to check the power output of the usb? I'm thinking that if we are able to check/change the power output then maybe it can power a bluetooth adapter and homefully a wireless N usb. If so then it could be possible to teth from this. also run bluetooth keyboards.

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
List updated.

Use a multimeter to check the power output of the USB port. Bluetooth will be impossible without the drivers/stack installed on the tablet. a wireless adapter MIGHT be possible, but would require drivers as well.... I don't think that this is a feasible idea at this time.. The USB will not be able to power anything more than a flash drive or mouse. Even if you could up the power to the port, i think it would most likely fry something.

jmp9113

Jan 21, 2011
I took my tablet to Best Buy looking for a usb keyboard. Plugged one in and it caused the kyros to freeze up - twice. Wondering if I will be able to use any keyboard with it. I am trying to do the rooting thing; only have a MAC laptop and am led to believe that I need a keyboard for part of the process - yes?

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
@jmp9113 "MAC laptop and am led to believe that I need a keyboard for part of the process - yes?"

What part are you reffering to. If your talking about needing one to use terminal then no. You can use the keyboard on your tablet just like the step by step tells you to.

jmp9113

Jan 21, 2011
V. Use a Terminal app from Kyros.

a. connect up your usb keyboard to your Kyros.

b. Open AppsLib, press the search hour glass icon, and type Terminal Emulator and press Search. Use the arrows key on keyboard to scroll down until you find Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich. Install it. Close AppsLib.

Found these directions for using a Mac:

c. Run Terminal Emulator. From the usb keyboard:

type su followed by a return
type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img followed by a return
type reboot recovery followed by a return

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Add to the list of verified:
Dell keyboard - model SK-8115
Logitech wireless keyboard - model MX3200
(May need to connect keyboards before booting - one was strange before reboot)

jmp9113 - you don't need a USB keyboard for any steps in rooting, Market etc. Read the sticky at the top of the forum. You need a USB cable connected to your PC and install some things like ADB. See
Android SDK | Android Developers

The wireless laser mouse that came with the Logitech keyboard does "something". But since there is no pointer I could not guess what that "something" is other than sometimes an icon or button is highlighted.
Kensington trackball - also does "something" - again no pointer so it's worthless.

Works:
PNY - Compact Flash Card Reader - no model number on it, about 8 years old.
Ativa SD card reader - Model: 7-35854-88723-0

Does not work as is:
Kingston - DataTraveler 4GB - formatted totally as ext4 (Linux, no MS) - MID7015 complains it is unformatted or in a format it doesn't know. Formatting to MS-DOS may fix that problem, I haven't see a need to reformat it though.

Thanks for the thread jair2k4 this is a good idea.

jmp9113

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for your advice. I think I will have to return this tablet. I am not computer savvy - no IT experience. I got up to recovery.img and keep getting mounting failed (on my Mac). Tried it on my husband's (crappy) PC and although I could download recovery.img, I could not get it to recognize my device. I was hoping this would be a fun little device but I know I would be disappointed with it as is out of the box. Darn!

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
jmp9113,
Don't give up too quickly. There are lot's of things you can load and play without having the Market and without rooting and recovery.img.
AppsLib that came with the Coby has some good stuff and garbage (like fake firefox). There are other sources for free things. Here are a few for starters.
SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
Here's one "FishFood"
https://slideme.org/application/fish-food

In code.google you can search for apk files (the file that gets downloaded and becomes the "app")
Downloads - opensudoku-android - Project Hosting on Google Code
That's a nice sudoku game. From code.google I also got Andoku, npr-android-app, scramblednet, sokobandroid, osmand (off-line maps)
You can also find apks from sites like
Android Freeware: Browse the GAMES category
You can find apk from the people that wrote them like TextEdit:
Text Edit by Paul Mach

And adobe reader straight from Adobe
www.adobe.com

I think I should start a thread about all the other options - there are tons.

Last edited:

jmp9113

Jan 21, 2011
Appreciate the encouragement. Last resort - I think I'll ask one of the IT people at work if they would be interested in taking a crack at it. I'll check out your app suggestions.

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
Wow. My thread was worthy of a sticky? I'm honored.

Haven't had much time to be back on here, or i'd be more active. I'm going to be having a few friends over at some point here in the near future. I'll be asking them to bring every USB device they think they can carry and will be testing all their stuff out. The one thing that i really bothering me at this point is the behavior of the mouse when plugged in. The Android OS was designed for phones, which wouldn't have need of a mouse.... which to me explains the strange way the cursor behaves when one is plugged in. I'm wondering if there is a way to write some sort of program that will emulate a mouse... Just a musing. I know nothing of application development... so if someone sees any merit in that idea, feel free to take it and run with it.

Anyone have any luck with a powered hub? If i can find a small enough hub that will actually work, I am willing to gut my tablet and try to integrate it. Think.... 2 - 16 or 32 gig flash drives mounted internally..... Mmmmm...... or better yet..... Think about cramming this inside.... (Certain it can be done. I've done something similar in my PSP.... and we have host, so we dont have to bother trying to tie into the micro USB port...)

Amazon.com: CablesToBuy™ ZIF CE or 50 Pin Micro IDE to Mini USB Adapter Converter: Electronics

And this:

Amazon.com: 120GB ZIF Toshiba 4200RPM 8MB 5mm 1.8" MK1231GAL: Electronics

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
sssuhl - glad it works for you! could you maybe stand a ruler up to it with it closed so we can see the dimensions and whatnot? I am a minimalist and do not like extra bulk/weight. But if the difference between that case and the stock one (which i am still using), I may be inclined to pick one of these up.