Would you purchase one?

• 17 inch Android Tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 inch Android Tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Please note: This poll is set up so you can vote multiple choice in the event you would buy either you can vote that way, but if you do, please make at least a quick post letting us know you did that so we have a better view of the results. Thanks

Wanted to get some opinions from the crowd.
I would like to have a tablet or as I think some larger tablets are called "Slate" that is between 15 and 17 inches. I know there are some in the 14 and 15 inch range right now but they are in the 1500.00 price range.
So the questions are. If someone made a good tablet that was 15 to 17 inches, would you buy one and how much would you be willing to pay?
Setting some specs I'll say.

17 inch HD display with capacitive touch. Compearable to Retinal display.
Quad core or higher.
Min 6 gigs of RAM
10mp rear and 3mp front facing cameras
GPS etc etc
Min of 64 gig SSD
And then all the usual hardware.

Now, given that the price on all hardware goes down as new devices come out, how long do you think before something like this would hit the 600.00 mark. And do you think that a company like Ainovo could do something like this now and do it right? Which includes Google certification and the US Android market, and selling the device to the West with the devices in English out of the box.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wouldn't want those sizes as a stand alone tablet. If this is the new direction of laptops where you basically have a tablet screen and keyboard dock then ok, I can see that. Laptops and tablets are still far apart in use and performance but converging. The newest ideas are focusing on a webtop type application that basically gives you a laptop when docked and pc when not.

On that note I feel anything over 15 inches is not portable enough, laptop or tablet. Above that and you are really only talking about a device which sits on a desktop despite its form factor. In some ways convergence is good in others not so much. I'd prefer to have a larger heavy duty stationary unit and a tablet of 10" or less for portability while everything works seamlessly together without skipping a beat (think iCloud).

I think we are still quite a ways off from convergence of laptops and tablets. First of all the software is just too far apart. Perhaps Windows 8 can change this but for now computers are far better at productivity than tablets primarily because of the OS. Microsoft and Apple seem to being trying to marry the idea of desktop and tablet OSes while Android seems to be destined to try the webtop approach.

At the moment the waters appear pretty muddy. Mobile/tablet OSes have a long way to go to be true powerhouses while it appears that traditional OSes are being dumbed down to be more like mobile OSes. Windows 8 seems to be the closest to capturing a new paradigm to deal with this convergence but until it is actually out and in use it is hard to say.

I think it is going to take something that is as much different from what we know today as the iPhone was to smart phones when it came out. In other words the real game changer OS/device combo which will facilitate the convergence of desktop/laptop/tablet/phone has yet to be created.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
I have a hard time seeing how that it could be made to survive falling down at that size. Seems like you're better off with a tablet style laptop in that size range. Even 10" is plenty big for me and I use my Transformer as a desktop replacement. I wouldn't want to sacrifice portability for extra size.

I'd guess it would be 2-3 years from now for 15"+ to be sub $800.