Launcher apps

Gary_O

Mar 20, 2011
What is your preferred Launcher app for the gTablet, and why?

ADW.Launcher
ADWLauncher EX
LauncherPro
Go Launcher EX
others?

Thanks for your input!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
For my tab, adw.launcher, launcher pro for phone. And this is for no empirical reason at all.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I use Launcher Pro on my phone, ADW (currently) on my Tab. Will either one of them reduce the amount of space between the icons (a layout similar to stock)? Whichever one does that is the one for me...

Edit... I just found out that Launcher Pro is what I'm looking for. It allows me to pick how many rows I want, moving my icons closer together (in case anyone else wants to know this.)

Last edited:

Gary_O

Mar 20, 2011
I use Launcher Pro on my phone, ADW (currently) on my Tab. Will either one of them reduce the amount of space between the icons (a layout similar to stock)? Whichever one does that is the one for me...

Edit... I just found out that Launcher Pro is what I'm looking for. It allows me to pick how many rows I want, moving my icons closer together (in case anyone else wants to know this.)

I'm also using Launcher Pro on my phone (Droid Pro), and ADW.Launcher on my gTablet. ADW.Launcher does allow you to set the # of rows and columns for icons.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Zeam is the best. Bar NONE!

Reason: the Dock alone is reason enough to love this launcher. Your not limited to 1-3-5-No dock icons. Also the app drawer is so much smoother and you have more icons per page.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
+1 Have to agree with the man^! :) Zeam is my launcher of choice for the gTab as well as Nook Color. The one nice thing I wish it had is Launcherpro's neat screen transitions (I'm partial to "cube") but the dock on Zeam is superb, plus you can do an 8x8 spread of icons on the desktop, which allows you to pack in quite a bit.

Oh, really enjoying the gTab by the way. Arrived Wednesday, and we're still on our first date.

I'm still on the stock ROM, and something that took me by surprise is that after I configured it for ADB, I was able to sideload apps! Huh...I figured I needed to root, or at least find and check the box for "Installation of unknown sources" in the Development settings...but there is no such box in the stock ROM! Anyway, I've installed a dozen or two of my favorite apps, switched the launcher to Zeam, and getting Quadrant scores of 1800. Call me a very happy, satisfied new owner! :D

-Matt

BrianHanifin

Mar 24, 2011
I have used them all. Both LauncherPro Plus and ADW.Launcher EX are great choices since they allow you to pack the icons in tight enough for our large screen. They also allow you to resize the widgets (you have to pay for this privilege though). I prefer LauncherPro over ADW slightly, but both have advantages. I believe mine is setup with 10 columns and 6 rows right now.

On my Droid I prefer GO Launcher Ex since it allows me to organize apps in the apps menu into folders. However, Go Launcher Ex is not as good for our screens since you cannot set your icon gride to smaller than 5 columns by 5 rows. And, with all of that real estate, app menu folders are overkill anyway.

Update: I just discovered VTL.Launcher. It is a fork of ADW.Launcher which is optimized for landscape layouts, in other words the dock is on the bottom! :) I am going to give VTL a go for a while. :)

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
^ Thanks Brian, some great suggestions. Hope you'll post back when you have impressions about VTL.

-Matt

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I'm also using Launcher Pro on my phone (Droid Pro), and ADW.Launcher on my gTablet. ADW.Launcher does allow you to set the # of rows and columns for icons.

Really? I couldn't find it in the settings! I'll have to try it and look again. Thanks for that.