Learn How to Easily Root Motorola Xoom 4G and Wifi to Android 4.0.3(4)

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Before you start here are the links you need:

1. Xoom Wifi ROM Download
  2. Xoom US 4G ROM Download
  3. Xoom EU 3G Rom Download
  4. Xoom US 3G Rom Download

Original Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1484770

Hey everyone this is feverhost from TabletVideos.info, AndroidTablets.net, and XoomForums.com. Lastnight I finally rooted my Xoom 4G to ICS 4.0.4, which is Android’s newest Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. The entire process took about 20 minutes, because I had to download the USB files, ADB etc… I wanted to show you how it looks on my Xoom, how I did it, and what features I think that are pretty cool.

To start you’re going to need to grab the Motorola Xoom USB driver. Mind you all of these links will be attached in the description of this video and on my website: TabletVideos.info. So download that program, and install it to your computer. I recommend that you use the USB cable that came with your Xoom, and once you install the USB driver, reboot your computer. Once your computer is back up, hook up the USB cable and your computer should now recognize your xoom. It can take up to a minute to fully recognize your tablet.
Next… You need to download EasyADB, which again, I have a link on where to download that. Once you have downloaded it… create a folder in your C:\ drive called sdk_tools. Then extract all the adb files to that directory.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] step is to download the Recover Image for the tablet. Click on the link in the description of this video. Once downloaded move that .img file to C:\sdk_tools.

4[SUP]th[/SUP] step… download the ESO Stingray file that goes with your Xoom. There is WIFI, 3G, 4G US, and other countries. I’ll supply a list of what link you need to go to. Once that file has been downloaded (it will be about 100MB in size) move it ot your MicroSD card on your tablet. That is very important it has to be on the external MicroSD card.

5[SUP]th[/SUP] step… download the Google Applications file, called EOS GApps. Also make sure to put that on your MicroSD card.
Now… we are at the ADB part of this process. Make sure, before you being, to check USD debugging on your tablet by going to Settings, Applications, Development and enable USD Debugging.

Now your Xoom should be connected via the USB cable, if not, make sure you do it now.
Once that has been done click on start, then run, and type in cmd. Once the dos prompt comes up type: c:\sdk_tools. To confirm that the Xoom is in fact recognized by your computer type in adb devices. If the tablet is recognize it will display a bunch of numbers and letters. If not… I suggest unplugging the cable, and then re-plug it back in. If that doesn’t work… restart your computer and try again. If that fails.. remove the USB driver from Motorola, re-install and reboot. Also make sure it’s the original USB cable.
Next.. and this part is very important (in the dos prompt) type in adb reboot loader. Don’t be shocked if your xoom reboots, that’s what it’s suppose to do. It will say on the top of the tablet “starting fastboot protocol support”.

In your dos prompt type in fastbook oem unlock. A warning will come up saying that you are going to unsecure your tablet… use the Volume Down button to cycle to unlock then Volume Up to confirm. At this point remember… once you do this.. it will completely wipe all your apps and personal information off the tablet. Anytime you load a custom ROM onto your tablet everything gets removed… although your external MicroSD cart will NOT be affected. Once your xoom complets this task and does not reboot by itself… in the dos prompt type fastboot reboot. Although everytime I have done this, the tablet would reboot itself.

Once the Xoom has rebooted and your computer has again recognized it (in the dos prompt) type in adb reboot bootloader. The file will be the recovery-Tiamat one that you downloaded to your sdk_tools file previously. Next unplug the USB cable and rebot your Xoom by pressing the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.

After the tablet reboots and you see the Motorola Logo, wait 3 seconds then hit the Volume Down key. You should now see ‘Android Recovery’ on the top left corner. If you don’t get into this section quick enough you will have to flash the recovery image again. That is the adb reboot booloader command etc…

Now press the Volume Up button to select Android Recovery. It’s smart at this point to backup your existing device image to your MicroSD card, incase something bad happens. Use the Volume Down button to go to ‘Backup and Restore’ and use the power button on the back of the Xoom to select Backup. This will backup your image to your external card.

Now use the Volume Down/Up buttons to go to ‘wipe data/factory reset and select it with the power button. This will completely wipe all data from your tablet. There is no going back from this point.

Using the Volume Down/Up button go to ‘wipe cache partition’ and select YES and use your power button to select.
Next… go to advanced and select ‘wipe dalvik cache’. Select the go back option.

Now select install zip from sdcard and choose the ESO zip file. It will be ESO-Stingrary 1.0.0 etc…

Once that is done re-peat the process for the GApps file. V10.5 is the newest.. Wait for the process to end and click ‘Reboot system Now’.

If all goes well.. once the tablet reboots you will see a logo on the bottom right of the tablet… it will spin for a few minutes, and ICS 4.0.04 will load up. This ROM already has root built into it, so there is no need to try to root it.. it’s already done. If the tablet keeps sticks at the spinning logo on the bottom right of the tablet, I’ll create a new video on how to fix that.
So that’s how you root the Xoom tablet… WIFI, 3G, 4G etc….

Last edited by a moderator:

Tcbj

Apr 22, 2012
This looks great and I want to try it. Am I missing the link to the recovery though?

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
Great tutorial here...thumbs up and thanks.

Easy to understand, will try this awesome guide.

rsteph49

Sep 27, 2012
I've been thinking about rooting my Motorola XOOM (3G with the 4G upgrade chip). I've never rooted a device before (i'm fairly new at a lot of the mobile computer side of things. I have one question, and this may be stupid so forgive my ignorance; with step 3 (using the recovery image), is this going to wipe out all of my currently downloaded apps, and any video/audio/text files I have downloaded on the tablet? Or will this just overwrite the operating system and leave everything else? Thanks for your help; just trying to get a full picture of what's going to happen when/if I root my tablet; before actually doing anything.

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
is this going to wipe out all of my currently downloaded apps, and any video/audio/text files I have downloaded on the tablet? Or will this just overwrite the operating system and leave everything else?

Unlocking bootloader will wipe till like out of the box..
Backup all the files on your PC is advisable.

Thanks for your help; just trying to get a full picture of what's going to happen when/if I root my tablet; before actually doing anything.

Come to our sister site and we will assist you to root, unroot or flashing as it is more specialize on Xoom: http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192326

rsteph49

Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for the information Astrix, I figured that was what it did, but wasn't sure. Is there any trick to the backup? When I sent in the tablet for the 4g upgrade I backed-up the files, then restored it to factory default. But when I got it back and tried to put everything back it didn't seem to work, I had to re-download everything and redo everything from scratch. Didn't know if there was maybe something I missed in following Motorola's standard instructions for backup. Thanks again, I'll check out the link you sent as well for more information.

rsteph49

Sep 27, 2012
So I never got a chance to try rooting my tablet - work and classes got in the way. With some time off around Christmas I would like to try again. I was trying to get all the files I needed, and some of the links above did not seem to be working for me.

Can anyone help me with where to get all the files I need to go through the rooting process? I have a Motorola Xoom, running Android version 4.0.4 (though I'm not opposed to upgrading if there is a newer version out there). If it makes a difference I did get the 4g update on this tablet.

Also, I have some games with a lot of time spent on them. I can redo everything after rooting, but does anyone know a good app or something I can use to back up the game data, to recover it after the rooting process?

Any help on both items would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.