Lenovo A1 review on Cnet

Nemix

Sep 5, 2011
Dude, that's not a review. The Tablet is not even out yet plus it's a prototype. If it were a review the CNET dude would be talking more in-depth about the offline GPS on the A1 which is a feature no other Tablet has ATM. I'm really liking the Tablet, size price and features. Hopefully it does well when released and get some XDNA development action for rooting, custom roms, kernels and overclocking.

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
Does it drive anyone else little nuts that it was announced as the $199 being an 8GB for internal? Now it's 2, which is saddening. I'm thinking of this for replacing my Coby that is now on its way to wherever bad tablets go (internal memory failure). I'm worried that 2GB internal won't be much if all the apps download and cache in the internal memory (I do have an 8gb microSD), since often even moving apps to the SD still leaves gunk in the internal. But I'm having a hard time justifying the 16GB $250 (good price), when $200 is already $40 what I originally paid for my RIP Coby. Of course, Lenovo has better specs and generally higher quality products than Coby, markets already on there, it's Gingerbread, etc.

I'm not going to be doing much more than some web and reading on it, so would 2GB be a detriment or not?

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I am thinking that 2gb is a bit small, if you are wanting to install a bunch of apps. Even 8gb is cutting it close, unless you are a minamalist. I personally would not go lower than 16gb for storage, leaving a little space for future expansion and upgrades.

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
My fiance are arguing over whether 2GB is enough. He keeps saying that I can push pretty much everything onto my external 8GB and just clear my cache periodically and be fine. I'll have a few apps, but I don't really do games much (solitaire). Never got into Angry Birds. It wouldn't be a laptop replacement, more of my "downtime" device that can do a little web when I want.

I was looking Lenovo's website, and it seems to have a lot of preloaded apps, many of which I wouldn't use, so hopefully I could uninstall them (this was not the case with Coby's factory apps), but I wonder how much space they take, or if there's 2GB after the apps are on. I doubt it, but that would be nice, especially if you don't have the option of uninstalling the stock apps you don't want.

On the bright side, it apparently has Netflix and Google Market ready to go. Big plus!

Anyone think Lenovo will do holiday pricing on this? That's another argument. Order now or wait for Black Friday craziness. I never do Black Friday physically, just on the web, but then you could run into back ordered stuff, longer wait, etc.

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Looks like it's finally up for pre-order on the Lenovo website. Lenovo - IdeaPad A1 tablet This is the 16Gb version, I can't see how to order an 8Gb version.

The site says it's $399 list but you can order for $249. Not sure if they will be jacking up the price or dropping it in the future. At $199 I would have ordered one for sure. At $249 I'm hesitant. If they ever decide to hit the $399 price they claim is list, they're dead. Their own higher end products are cheaper than that.

Amazon has one listed at $199. No mention if it's the 8Gb or 16Gb version. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-22282EU-7-Inch-Tablet/dp/B005UBT7LW

Last edited:

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
Amazon.com: Lenovo Ideapad A1 22282EU 7-Inch Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

[h=2]Product Features and Technical Details[/h] [h=3]Product Features[/h]
  • TI 3622 (Cortex A8) 1GHz single core processor
  • 16GB SSD; Mobile DDR 512MB RAM
  • Dual camera 0.3/3.0 MP
  • 7" 1024x600 (16:9) display
  • Android 2.3 Operating System
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

• Processor: 1 GHz
Hard Drive

• Size: 16 GB
  • Speed: 5400 rpm
Ports and Connectivity

• USB 2.0 Ports: 1
Cases and Expandability

• Size (LWH): 7.58 inches, 4.78 inches, 0.47 inches
  • Weight: 14.08 ounces
Wireless

• Wireless Type: 802.11bgn

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
While this is not a dual core, I wonder if it will be a better deal than the soon to be announced (today?) Nook Color 2?

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
In my opinion, once someone comes up with a new ROM for the Nook 2, it'll be hard to beat for the money. I really like the battery life claims. Even if they only hit 75% of what they claim it'll be pretty good. Looks like it may be too little to late for Lenovo, and I had been planning on getting one. Guess some people didn't learn from HP.

I will say if I had the cash, I'd buy one of each and check them out head to head.

Mind you, the GPS on the Lenovo is a bonus. If you figure what you would spend on a separate GPS for your car, makes it a much better deal than just as a tablet.

Last edited:

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Thanks. A well reasoned assessment. I like the Lenovo because it is a Lenovo (IBM), and because of the GPS. But since I already have a GPS it kind of makes that a moot point. And it only has the 512 MB of RAM, potentially limiting OS upgrades in the future. And of course the single core. Too bad, since it looks like a really nice, well built machine (it has a roll cage!) :(

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks. A well reasoned assessment. I like the Lenovo because it is a Lenovo (IBM), and because of the GPS. But since I already have a GPS it kind of makes that a moot point. And it only has the 512 MB of RAM, potentially limiting OS upgrades in the future. And of course the single core. Too bad, since it looks like a really nice, well built machine (it has a roll cage!) :(

Actually Lenova is Lenova, IBM sold the Thinkpad brand years ago, apparently headquartered in Morrisville, North Carolina, Beijing, China and Singapore.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
Nook Tablet has no Cameras, no Bluetooth, no GPS, no microphone.

How much software is written to utilize the dual core? Apps not written for dual core will just use one cpu core... so the main advantage will be the extra 512MB RAM. Is it worth paying an extra $50 and giving up cameras, mic, bluetooth and GPS? I suppose it depends on the apps you plan to use, and will those apps be written to utilize the second core? I think I'd rather have the extra $50 (covers the cost of SDcards) and have the cameras and mic (for video capture), and GPS and bluetooth may come in handy as well.

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Does it drive anyone else little nuts that it was announced as the $199 being an 8GB for internal? Now it's 2, which is saddening. I'm thinking of this for replacing my Coby that is now on its way to wherever bad tablets go (internal memory failure). I'm worried that 2GB internal won't be much if all the apps download and cache in the internal memory (I do have an 8gb microSD), since often even moving apps to the SD still leaves gunk in the internal. But I'm having a hard time justifying the 16GB $250 (good price), when $200 is already $40 what I originally paid for my RIP Coby. Of course, Lenovo has better specs and generally higher quality products than Coby, markets already on there, it's Gingerbread, etc.

I'm not going to be doing much more than some web and reading on it, so would 2GB be a detriment or not?

My MID7022 cannot save to the microSD card, and the replacement hasn't even shipped yet (supposed to be expedited Friday). Goodbye Kyros. Did you get the Lenovo? Opinion? Should I do it?
Thanks for the info.