Lenovo A1 review on Cnet

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Like everything else, there's no one size fits all. I never video chat, and I have some good quality cameras, so a tablet camera and mic means nothing to me. I need to get another GPS, so the Lenovo would save me some money there. The Nook 2 has better claimed battery life, which I really like. The Lenovo does appear to be very sturdy, but the touchscreen is the most likely area of damage for most tablets. As far as dual core, I would assume that it would also be an advantage if you were running more than one app at a time. It would be nice not to have to shut down one app to run another properly. Like I say, I'm not sure which to choose, but I will say that right now these two tablets look like the best options to me. I wish I could justify both.

KVanB

Jan 3, 2011
Yesterday I put in my order for the 16GB version for $199.00 at LogicBuy. I think the last day is today(11/10) for the offer. I have been shopping around for a tablet for a while now and this one strikes me as having everything I want.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I was swayed into going for the Lenovo A1. I did some research on the offline GPS and wasn't impressed. Lots of marginal reviews of the app itself, and it hasn't been updated in a while, plus it's based on open source map data. That feature seems like something that - if it isn't supported strongly - may not be around for any length of time. I was really interested in the cams; that and the $199 price was enough to tip the balance in favor... until I tried to get one. I went to LogicBuy at 10:40 last night EST. The coupon was still there. I tried it and it didn't work, even though it showed the A1 was in stock. I went back and looked at the coupon and it said something along the lines of "expires on 11/10/2011 or sooner". I guess they decided 10:40 at night was too late.

So at $249 I had to reconsider, and with the B&N member discount, more RAM, and a more advanced processor I think the Nook Tablet is a better buy, and even without the cam will probably be a platform which will have "longer legs" - given the support community for rooting and the newer processor.

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
I noticed that the Nook Tablet has a better cpu, but I didn't think that would matter much for the few things I would be doing with it. The nook lacks the GPS, 2 cameras, bluetooth, and a mic... and costs 25% more. I think the few user reviews I have seen (of the Ideapad A1) were all for the early release 2GB model. I am pre-ordered on Amazon for the 16GB and not going to cancel based on one unhappy user. I have also seen high praise for the A1 by another early recipient. I would think that both Lenovo and Amazon would refund or exchange to keep their customers satisfied.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I noticed that the Nook Tablet has a better cpu, but I didn't think that would matter much for the few things I would be doing with it. The nook lacks the GPS, 2 cameras, bluetooth, and a mic... and costs 25% more.

Not as of 10:40 last night. Now the A1 is the same price as the Tablet, and actually more if you have the B&N new member discount. I agree completely that at that discounted price the A1 was a no brainer choice.

Last edited:

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
I guess I should have mentioned, my Amazon pre-order was... $199.99 for the 16GB (no tax and free shipping)... and also, having no prior android experience, I was uncertain if I would feel comfortable rooting the nook and flashing some non-official Gingerbread ROM. So for the price, the Ideapad A1 seemed like a good "starter" tablet.

kittenann

Nov 9, 2011
I guess I should have mentioned, my Amazon pre-order was... $199.99 for the 16GB (no tax and free shipping)... and also, having no prior android experience, I was uncertain if I would feel comfortable rooting the nook and flashing some non-official Gingerbread ROM. So for the price, the Ideapad A1 seemed like a good "starter" tablet.

I felt the same way and I ordered mine from Lenovo for $199.20 but I paid tax:( . I liked the idea of having offline GPS. I am hoping it works as well as my handheld GPS. This will be my first tablet.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Hmm. Any chance there's a way to get an extra $25 off? That's put it about where it was at the incentive price. It'd be good enough for me.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Anybody know anything about these guys? Here's what it says when you click on it:
Special Order

IMPORTANT: This item is marked SPECIAL ORDER. Please be aware that special
order items can take as long as 3 to 4 weeks to be delivered.

In addition, because the item is not currently in
stock, there is a possibility that it has been discontinued. We advise that
you verify this product's status with the manufacturer before you complete your
purchase.

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
Clearly, it is NOT the case that it's out of stock because it was discontinued. It's out of stock because they are selling faster than they are being produced. I am not familiar with this website, but my pre-order is already in with Amazon (at a slightly higher price). Their bizrate rating seems pretty good... Customer Certified - Over 25,000 customers have rated this store!

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
They get a 8.57/10 from resellerratings with over 1500 buyer entries. Looks good.

Hmm, again. Model #22282EU is not recognized on the Lenovo website. Lenovo only shows the K, L, N, P, and N variants. Not the E. I went to the Levono UK site thinking it was an EU model, but it doesn't show up there either.

Last edited: