Life of a Sylvania 7" Tablet?

KDTech

May 4, 2011
Got a Sylvania 7" tablet Monday and I must say, it's not "that" bad. After plenty of research here and a few other places I got the unit running like a charm. No more wireless lag and a better looking layout with Launcherpro added.

I'm wondering though, what's the lifespan of this unit? Didn't know how long it's been out (It looks like it came out around November) but wanted to get some feedback on how long these units are lasting.

I've seen bricking complaints and other issues but are some of the modifications doing this or is it just standard usage.

Anyway, I'm new to the Droid Universe and I'm loving what I see so far.

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
A lot of the problems people were having with bricking were due to modification attempts or system update attempts. I bricked one (prior to the Froyo update) with a system update. The problem is that the Express tablet doesn't have a recovery image and the tablet told you to use a SD card with the recovery image (which didn't exist). Now that we have the froyo update that is a thing of the past because if bricked you can just insert the SD card and reload the 2.20 image. Obviously reloading your apps can be a pain (not so much if you use a backup program like Astro or Titanium Backup). I bricked mine just a day ago trying to load a custom boot animation, I inserted the sd card and was back up and running again in 30 minutes with all apps restored.

This tablet is no where near the quality of a Galaxy or Ipad, but then again we paid 1/4 the price. For the cost and functionality these tablets really are a great buy. There are some software quirks and functionality issues with the USB ports due to the software. The only other problems I have seen people having is cracked screens, but that is a user problem, not manufacturer. The software quirks will more than likely be fixed by someone on this forum. As long as your willing to do a little work and read the posts on this forum carefully you can modify your tablet relatively simply and end up with a great little device.

Digital Gadgets is supposed to be working on a 2.30 update so lets cross our fingers that they test it and all is well after that update is pushed out, but if not someone here will fix that one too.

KDTech

May 4, 2011
A lot of the problems people were having with bricking were due to modification attempts or system update attempts. I bricked one (prior to the Froyo update) with a system update. The problem is that the Express tablet doesn't have a recovery image and the tablet told you to use a SD card with the recovery image (which didn't exist). Now that we have the froyo update that is a thing of the past because if bricked you can just insert the SD card and reload the 2.20 image. Obviously reloading your apps can be a pain (not so much if you use a backup program like Astro or Titanium Backup). I bricked mine just a day ago trying to load a custom boot animation, I inserted the sd card and was back up and running again in 30 minutes with all apps restored.

This tablet is no where near the quality of a Galaxy or Ipad, but then again we paid 1/4 the price. For the cost and functionality these tablets really are a great buy. There are some software quirks and functionality issues with the USB ports due to the software. The only other problems I have seen people having is cracked screens, but that is a user problem, not manufacturer. The software quirks will more than likely be fixed by someone on this forum. As long as your willing to do a little work and read the posts on this forum carefully you can modify your tablet relatively simply and end up with a great little device.

Digital Gadgets is supposed to be working on a 2.30 update so lets cross our fingers that they test it and all is well after that update is pushed out, but if not someone here will fix that one too.

Thanks for the info! My tablet OS is running at 2.10 so I really need to see about upgrading to 2.20 soon so I can do a restore.

oldjohn

May 21, 2011
I am new to this forum so am not familiar with how to enter text. Hope I am doing this right.

I have 2.2 version tablet I bought from CVS. Can't get the email working without a "connection error' when trying to bring in mail.

I did get Amazon Market installed and all works well.

Also, I don't understand how to get a 2.2 recovery SD setup. Can you explain?