Light bleed question

tel

Jul 30, 2011
I'm thinking of buying the Transformer, iconia or Thrive, but leaning more towards the Transformer.
I've been reading that the Transformer has a light bleed issue, is that true?
Could some Transformer owners kindly tell me the truth on this please.

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
I bough the transformer 3 days ago, and I honestly don't know if mine has a light bleed issue. I haven't been looking for it so it might have a bit of light bleeding, but since I haven't noticed it, it can't be much.

klindsay1824

Jun 10, 2011
I owned a Transformer before getting the Galaxy Tab 10.1 - certainly had no problem with light bleed or anything else for that matter except the quality of the build - nasty sharp edges around the tablet and a bit flimsy - the main reason I sold it in favour of the 10.1 Tab.

Seadart

Jul 24, 2011
Klindsay824 - I am not sure what Klindsay is trying to say here but since there are no 'sharp edges' on a Transformer and the tablet is anything but flimsy I think he/she is confusing the Asus Transformer with something else - or more likely has the Galaxy/Transformer the wrong way round - the Galaxy is certainly flimsier than the Transformer which has an aluminium case (with round corners!)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Seadart

Jul 24, 2011
I have a Transformer with dock and it is VERY good. My choice came down to the Iconia or the Transformer and I chose this the Transformer. I do not have a light bleed problem. If you do have a problem then get it replaced, it seems a good one does not have this problem.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

tel

Jul 30, 2011
I read that Asus have resently fixed the bleed problem on the B60 version.
I also gave Asus Australia a call and the tech guy said they get about 1 or 2 a month returned with light bleed fault.
I'd really like to buy the Tranformer but i think the the light bleed is unacceptable, especially for $750 Aussie dollars.
Anyway i haven't seen much about it on this forum so it must be rare, so fingers crossed i get a good one.:)

klindsay1824

Jun 10, 2011
What I'm saying is I have owned the Transformer and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and in my opinion the Tab is a far superior build - both in quality and style. The Transformer has sharp metal edges to it and has a less than solid feel - with a degree of give in the backing. The Tab provides a more 'welded' finish and feels more solid in the hand despite being considerably lighter and thinner than the Transformer. At the end of the day you get what you pay for!

brandysnap

Aug 4, 2011
got my transformer a couple days ago and it does have a tiny little area (about 1cm across) at the bottom of the screen where light is bleeding in.
i find that acceptable and dont think ill rma as i could end up with something far worse.

as for general build quality. hmmm, i dont think the thing is that well built, the case gives slightly on the left hand side and seems to be getting looser the more i use it. right hand side where all the ports are is firm.
speakers are awful, tinny, weak portable radio things that distort at maximum volume or even slightly lower than maximum, have no bass at all and lack any decent amount of volume to them. dont get this thing if you like your music and dont like wearing earbuds/phones.

im quite disappointed in my first foray into android devices tbh. i think honeycomb looks pretty but doesnt perform at the speed a dual core processor would suggest. onscreen keyboard is awful and lacks response, often missing the fact ive pressed the screen. no way could i touch type on the thing.

its like google have shoved in all these features, kept piling them in there without any regard for the whole performance of the system

as for the speakers. wish id got a galaxy tab 10.1 tbh, i could have afforded one in the uk but the 32gb's were a week away and i couldnt be bothered to wait.
also i thought that microsd cards could be used to store games so i saw the galaxy tabs lack of one as a major downside........ however stupidly microsd's cannot be used to store anything except media on them which makes them useless to me.

sigh.