light on entertainment heavy on developer tools

rightbrain

Jun 25, 2012
I've just begun shopping, so I don't even know if any tablet exists to satisfy me yet. Please suggest tablets that may suit my needs according to the following criteria:

1. not my primary developer environment
  2. be able to operate while standing up
  3. wi-fi only, don't want to purchase data-plan/smartphone contract etc.
  4. use php, mysql, css, xhtml, xml, json, smart text editor like Notepad ++ to tweak, not necessarily build from scratch
  5. upload and edit jpg or mpeg or mp3 from flash memory cards
  6. no games, media playback for editing purposes, not entertainment

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Rightbrain

My personal opinion is that the Android operating system and apps will be the big problem, not the type of tablet. Android is a tad light on dev tools for the WEB. Since I modify some sights myself I have found it underwhelming at best. Someone else may know of some apps that would work for you but you might end up having to remote into a PC for most of it.

rightbrain

Jun 25, 2012
Welcome to the forum Rightbrain

My personal opinion is that the Android operating system and apps will be the big problem, not the type of tablet. Android is a tad light on dev tools for the WEB. Since I modify some sights myself I have found it underwhelming at best. Someone else may know of some apps that would work for you but you might end up having to remote into a PC for most of it.

Thanks leeshor. I came across Connection between PHP (server) and Android (client) Using HTTP and JSON « Fahmi Rahman and got my hopes up a bit.

I don't want to pay for features I will never use, too. Of course I've had issues with that a lot with both dumb and smart cell phones. And one thing that really makes me want to hurl a device across the room is when I think I'm selecting one menu item, but the configuration is so touchy that I end up launching some kind of "shopping" option and I have to WAIT while it takes its sweet time canceling. And I have better things to do than hack my device's operating system. I'm standing by for anyone's suggestions of bare bones options for tablets. If someone were to convince me to try an Apple product, I'd be really surprised. I boycott Apple and choose open source/architecture.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
have you considered windows tablets?. they might suit your needs better & more & more are becoming available.