Limited memory browser issue

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
Puleeeeeze!!! If I have to read this solution one more time I just may puke all over my Vtab. This does not move apps to the user installed external sd card folder and is just one more example of Vizio not really understanding the issue. This issue is past being a deal breaker for me. I'm giving mine to my wife who will only use it for surfing the web and as an ereader and buy myself an Asus.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

elgordo10

Nov 1, 2011
Puleeeeeze!!! If I have to read this solution one more time I just may puke all over my Vtab. This does not move apps to the user installed external sd card folder and is just one more example of Vizio not really understanding the issue. This issue is past being a deal breaker for me. I'm giving mine to my wife who will only use it for surfing the web and as an ereader and buy myself an Asus.

I'm going to have to check my SDcard tonight and see if the apps are actually moving to the external card. If their not, your right, that is really stupid on Vizio's part.

So your saying that the usable internal storage in the Vtab is seen by the OS as an external card. When I move an app to the SD card using the Manage Applications scenario it's not really moving it??? I would assume it's on the Internal card to begin with. From what I've read 2gb is for the OS and 2gb is for storage. I'm confused??

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
That is correct. The user installed sd card is on /mnt/sdcard/external. You'll find no apps are moved there. You can copy media and such to it, but it's otherwise useless.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

elgordo10

Nov 1, 2011
That is correct. The user installed sd card is on /mnt/sdcard/external. You'll find no apps are moved there. You can copy media and such to it, but it's otherwise useless.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

Well if that's the case Vizio has 29 more days to fix the problem. If not it's going back to Sam's Club. Thanks for the info...

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011
Puleeeeeze!!! If I have to read this solution one more time I just may puke all over my Vtab....

Don't give up the ship! We need your voice and knowledge about this issue. So, hang in there and keep pressing Vizio for a fix.

elgordo10

Nov 1, 2011
Well, I tested moving files to the SD Card last night and it doesn't really do anything. It just moves the files around in the internal memory like jhynes1230 said. What a joke! I put in a support issue on this with Vizio this morning. I even attached the text from this thread to show how unhappy people are. I'll post the response if and when I get it...

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011
Well, I tested moving files to the SD Card last night and it doesn't really do anything. It just moves the files around in the internal memory like jhynes1230 said. What a joke! I put in a support issue on this with Vizio this morning. I even attached the text from this thread to show how unhappy people are. I'll post the response if and when I get it...

The support issue submittal is much appreciated, thanks.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
It has been submitted to them before. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a support person and finally got him to see what I meant, but no response from them yet.

I think a good compromise would be to prompt the user on first boot (or a device reset) and ask how they want the memory setup. If you opt to use an external SD Card then the internal memory could be mounted in a different manner.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Alot of newbies make the mistake of buying tablets soley on price. Storage capacity is a major consideration that must be acknowledged, when buying a tablet. I would limit myself to a storage capacity of 16gb for apps downloads. You could manage with a minimum of 8gb, but it starts to get tight at that point. As Android becomes more mature, the flexibility and usefulness of the SD slot hopefully will improve. But for now, it has become an issue with some of these tablets in the market place. Vizio seems to have rushed their tablet to market without debugging it, so many are stuck with a not fully functional device with very little storage capacity. In the future, a safe bet is to stick with the major contenders in the Android tablet market.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
It has been submitted to them before. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a support person and finally got him to see what I meant, but no response from them yet.

I think a good compromise would be to prompt the user on first boot (or a device reset) and ask how they want the memory setup. If you opt to use an external SD Card then the internal memory could be mounted in a different manner.

Marvin02, I think that is a great idea. Do you know if this proposed idea was submitted to Vizio?

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I addressed it when I spoke to the support tech and in my email that I sent them. The answers I got indicated little or no understanding of the issue.

Wgaich

Oct 30, 2011
I recall someone saying that downloading "app2sd" will essentially fix the external SD problem. I'm checking into it further.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
I recall someone saying that downloading "app2sd" will essentially fix the external SD problem. I'm checking into it further.

This only moves it from internal memory to the "virtual sdcard" which is still internal memory (not an external SDCARD)

specifically it moves it to the directory
/sdcard = which is still internal memory (2GB limit)

NOT

/sdcard/external = which is an external memory card (up to 32GB)

If you haven't done so already, Please call Vizio Tech support to issue a request to get this fixed. Many of us already have and perhaps if enough of us continue to keep up the pressure, this will get some attention at Vizio

Wgaich

Oct 30, 2011
I discussed with Vizio support and they swear you can move to the external SD card. He didn't sound too convincing. I'll probably just return the unit for a refund.