Limited memory browser issue

elgordo10

Nov 1, 2011
Here is the response from support. I reported the issue using their support page...

"Dear Valued Customer,

Here at VIZIO we offer best in class technical support and this would be best discussed over the phone.

We have a specialized agents dedicated to answer any tablet related questions. Please contact us at our Toll Free Tech Support line at 1-888-849-4623 so that we may better assist you.
Please have your tablet’s serial number and purchase information ready when calling in.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sarah Baxter
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946"

I didn't bother to call. From the sounds of things it would be a waste of time. I did respond to the email. Didn't hear back from that...

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011
I discussed with Vizio support and they swear you can move to the external SD card. He didn't sound too convincing. I'll probably just return the unit for a refund.

Looks like a total waste of time trying to convince the VIZIO techs that there are some real problems that need to be addressed. I found this new customer review today on the Vizio homepage:

http://www.vizio.com/review/product/view/id/17204/

"great once modified - Review by compugeek

AS Usual, there are plenty of people that complain that this cheap tablet lacks this or that. I know android enough to know that there isn't much you can't make a device do if you simply search the app store.

First of all, Skype works perfectly fine on this tablet. I don't understand how anyone is having issues here.
Second, you can move Apps to your sd card. Just download Astro or some other file manager that has that function ... "

When they (Vizio) hear uninformed and glowing reviews, such as this drivel, no wonder they don't believe (or understand) the technical truth when it smacks them in the face ...

1. There is currently no way the run an app directly from the "external" (not internal) SD card. You can backup your apps to the external SD card (the one you insert yourself), but that's not the same as "relocating" (for system use) an app to the external SD card.

2. Skype works to some degree but not "perfectly". The latest Android Skype version 2.5 rotates your video image 90 degrees, see link: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/android/

So sad, if no fix is planned then I'm afraid my Viz will be going back to Costco before my 90 days expires ...

Last edited:

Wgaich

Oct 30, 2011
One last dumb question from this newbie. You can't download applications DIRECTLY into the external SD card. Can you download applications INDIRECTLY to the external SD card (via your PC)?

NOTE - I only want to use the Vizio Tablet with a Vulkano Flow (Slingbox competitor). I should be okay here, unless someone has a comment.

Thanks in Advance.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
One last dumb question from this newbie. You can't download applications DIRECTLY into the external SD card. Can you download applications INDIRECTLY to the external SD card (via your PC)?

NOTE - I only want to use the Vizio Tablet with a Vulkano Flow (Slingbox competitor). I should be okay here, unless someone has a comment.

Thanks in Advance.

Depends what you download the files with. The stock browser puts downloads in internal memory. You can then copy the files to the external SD Card.

Opera mobile gives you the option of where to save downloads.

Applications will install in internal memory.

Where a particular app that accesses the internet downloads depends on the app. If it does not have a setting for choosing where the files go they will probably end up on the internal memory.

McGiles

Sep 6, 2010
Put my 2 cents in to them as well for what it's worth - "You have a really great tablet here, but it will have to be returned if I can't load apps to here - /mnt/sdcard/external. I don't care that there's not that much internal memory if we are able to compensate for that with more efficient use of external (our own sdcard memory)."

Hope I don't have to return it to Costco's - they have 88 days to fix it.

bc3737

Nov 10, 2011
Good Morning,
SD Card "Issue". Say I install Opera, Launcher Pro and a GPS APP. Will I have an issue with just 2 Gig of "internal Storage?? Or are some apps installed to the 2 gig dedicated to the OS?
As always - Thanks

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I have 1.78 GB free on the internal user memory.

I have 330 MB free in "Application storage.

I have Opera Mobile, Launcher pro, and Co-Pilot Live premium USA on my VTAB.

See the attached screen shots for more info on what I have installed.

Edit: The SD Card issue is an issue, but not a deal breaker for most.

Attachments

• $20111115_apps_01.png
    $20111115_apps_01.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 474
  • $20111115_apps_02.png
    $20111115_apps_02.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 462
  • $20111115_apps_03.png
    $20111115_apps_03.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 434