Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite,

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I am running Mepis Linux and tried this approach for my Coby MID 1042. The very first command suggested by the OP I got a 'bad command' error. I have tried other methods with no success as yet. All I am attempting to do is get google play apps on this tablet. They are pretty much useless with the apps that come installed.

PS I tried to root this on a windows machine as well and I am just so unfamiliar with windows (don't even know how to open a terminal there) that I gave up.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Dieselrider said:
I am running Mepis Linux and tried this approach for my Coby MID 1042. The very first command suggested by the OP I got a 'bad command' error. I have tried other methods with no success as yet. All I am attempting to do is get google play apps on this tablet. They are pretty much useless with the apps that come installed.

PS I tried to root this on a windows machine as well and I am just so unfamiliar with windows (don't even know how to open a terminal there) that I gave up.

Did you ever hear the phrase Come on Man? You know you have to download adb binary. You have to have adb setup and running just like everyone else.

This might help you, i don't run into many Linux guys that don't already have adb setup and working.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14054-a-plain-english-guide-to-setting-up-adb-on-linuxubuntu/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Did you ever hear the phrase Come on Man? You know you have to download adb binary. You have to have adb setup and running just like everyone else.

This might help you, i don't run into many Linux guys that don't already have adb setup and working.

A Plain English guide to setting up ADB on Linux/Ubuntu - Tutorials - RootzWiki

I really appreciate the help. I have downloaded the developer package from developer.android.com/sdk. However, that is one big package that at this time in my life (and perhaps never) will it be used. I only need according to you (and I am inclined to believe you completely) the adb functionality of that so I can set up my tablet to get google apps. All the rest is wasted space and, furthermore I have no idea how to use the adb part of that whole package. Thank you once more for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
adb is just one file

you can use the one I uploaded or the one in the package.

place it in /usr/bin

run as root from terminal

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Dieselrider said:
I think I have the 32libs installed. I sure hope so because if I have to go through all that to build them, this tablet is going back to the store.

Are you just wanting to install a gapps, a rom or what?

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I give up! Tried to download what I thought were all the lib32 files from the synaptic and still get this error when trying to install adb.

[root@Thatch bin]# chmod +x adb
[root@Thatch bin]# ./adb
./adb: /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.1' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
[root@Thatch bin]#

Maybe I have the wrong repositories selected or something. I thought I had the lib32 files. Maybe I can look at this again Sunday.

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
I give up! Tried to download what I thought were all the lib32 files from the synaptic and still get this error when trying to install adb.

[root@Thatch bin]# chmod +x adb
[root@Thatch bin]# ./adb
./adb: /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.1' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1' not found (required by ./adb)
./adb: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./adb)
[root@Thatch bin]#

Maybe I have the wrong repositories selected or something. I thought I had the lib32 files. Maybe I can look at this again Sunday.
Let me upload my adb binary and see if it works for you
http://db.tt/Yxi8xIaa
Place it in /usr/local/bin and chmod it

Last edited:

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
This CWM appears to allow for zip flashing only from the external SD card...is anyone else seeing this same issue?

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
I think I know why the update.zip you have is not booting up for people (including me). Its because you took the .odex files out of app and framework. I tried to take the odex files out of my rom but it would not boot and from looking at logcat it says something like "odex file not found for...".

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I think I know why the update.zip you have is not booting up for people (including me). Its because you took the .odex files out of app and framework. I tried to take the odex files out of my rom but it would not boot and from looking at logcat it says something like "odex file not found for...".

Not really a problem, people can just switch out the system folder with their backup rezip and flash. Anyway I don't have this device, you do so you can provide support for the 1042 users.