Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite,

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
Would someone be willing to develop a CWM update that includes both Touch and internal SD card support?

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
You don't need to use the boot.img or custom rom, unless you want to, they are provided as is. the main thing is to install the recovery and use it to backup your tablet before making any other changes.

Also note I have no way to test anything I have made, I simply used the dump provided on this forum, if your 1042 is different the version I used, this custom rom might not work correctly for you.

Don't ask how to setup adb in this thread,no help will be provided for that.

Read through entire thread before trying this or before asking questions, I have limited time and wont answer questioned that have already been covered on this forum

What I will be covering in this thread is how to root, install recovery, install a modified boot.img, install a custom rom. all without using "livesuite"

you will need adb setup and working, I am a Linux user, don't want to use windows to modify my tablets.

Anyway lets begin.

download 1042_root_recovery.zip

1042_root_recovery.zip

extract to your desktop you should have a folder called data, and a text file root_recovery, it contains the following commands. type one command at a time allow each command to finish before typing next command.

The first command is simply coping the contents of the data folder to your tablet, the second command is asking for shell, third and fourth commands are setting permissions, fifth command is sending exploit, sixth command is asking for root permission, seventh command is installing recovery, eight command is booting into recovery.

open a terminal

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su "Note at this point you can backup your system, recovery and boot.img, you don't have to but you might want to, see note 1 below."

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

once in recovery

volume up and down to navigate power to execute. silver button is back.

at this time you should make a backup.

download 1042_boot.zip

1042_boot.zip

adb push 1042_boot.zip /sdcard

then use recovery to select install zip from sdcard and install it.

reboot

download 1042_update.zip

1042_update.zip

place on sdcard

adb shell reboot-recovery

select install zip from sdcard and install it.

credits

steev

saurik

fun

If there is anyone that I left out of the credits, please let me know so I can give you credit for any work that I might have borrowed.

Note 1 if you want to backup your recovery, boot.img and system before making changes run commands below.
adb shell
su
mkdir /sdcard/dump
cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/1042_system.tar /system

then use either adb pull to put them on your pc, or mount the tablet with the pc.

after recovery is installed

to get into recovery from normal mode download terminal from market

su

reboot-recovery

or from adb shell

reboot-recovery.

I am running windows 7 trying this today as I could not find an easy way to get adb through my Mepis linux.

Okay, I have the android adb interface loaded on my 1042 tablet and I have downloaded the 1042 root file and extracted it to my desktop. I have also downloaded and not yet extracted the boot and update files. On your first steps, regarding te root recovery text doc. No Can find. Has this changed or been updated. Also tried the command you suggested in the terminal and the terminal spits back "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". Do I need to be in admin for the commands? Thanks

Nope doesn't work in admin either.

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
This is what I see when I open the data folder. Wish I knew how to print screen in windows.

install-recovery.sh (these first three look like documents but windows doesn't know what to open them with or
mempodroid doesn't have the right program to do so)
reboot-recovery
recovery (this is an executable file that opens up dvd burner to burn an iso but, there must be other steps toget an image off the tablet first)

root.sh (these last three like the first three look like doc pages but not able to open them.)
su
superuser.apk

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know anything about windows, do you know how to boot from Linux livecd? If so get a 32 bit burn to cd boot from it and use the adb binary I gave you. You need to be root.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I am running windows 7 trying this today as I could not find an easy way to get adb through my Mepis linux.

Okay, I have the android adb interface loaded on my 1042 tablet and I have downloaded the 1042 root file and extracted it to my desktop. I have also downloaded and not yet extracted the boot and update files. On your first steps, regarding te root recovery text doc. No Can find. Has this changed or been updated. Also tried the command you suggested in the terminal and the terminal spits back "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". Do I need to be in admin for the commands? Thanks

Nope doesn't work in admin either.

You must load ADB and the drivers ON THE WIDOWS COMPUTER. In windows you will open a command prompt (like linux terminal).
you must navigate to the folder where you put adb.exe and the root and recovery files. Then you can follow the instructions at the start of this thread.

You will find the ADB and driver files at the sticky thread at the start of this coby dev forum.

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
You must load ADB and the drivers ON THE WIDOWS COMPUTER. In windows you will open a command prompt (like linux terminal).
you must navigate to the folder where you put adb.exe and the root and recovery files. Then you can follow the instructions at the start of this thread.

You will find the ADB and driver files at the sticky thread at the start of this coby dev forum.

In linux I can use a cd command to change directories, is this the same in windows? It doesn't seem to work that way. Can also use F4 in linux to open a terminal while in a directory. Anything similar in windows?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
In linux I can use a cd command to change directories, is this the same in windows? It doesn't seem to work that way. Can also use F4 in linux to open a terminal while in a directory. Anything similar in windows?

cd is similar in windows command promt (old dos prompt). cd \ takes you to the root directory. cd \example takes you to example directory.

There is no f4 equivelent in windows, but you can go start, run, cmd enter. or "windows key", "r", "cmd", "enter key".

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I have copied the file to the c drive and each time I try to run the first command, it says 'adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
I have copied the file to the c drive and each time I try to run the first command, it says 'adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

I dont use windows.. but isnt it supposed to be in C://WINDOWS or something

Sidenote:
I hate windows
Another sidenote:
Linux rules

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012

You must put the ADB files and the Root/recovery folder and file in that same folder. It is easiest to make a folder in the root of your drive. Call it cobyadb or whatever. put all the files in that folder. When you open the command prompt, navigate to that folder (cobyadb). That would be "cd \cobyadb"

At the prompt type "adb devices". you should see one device, yours. From there, follow Vampirefo's instructions. One more thing, MAKE ALL THE BACKUPS. Don't forget or its too late.

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I do not normally use windows either but, Mepis linux (my OS of choice) does not seem very compatable with adb at this point. I have been able, at least so far, to get further along on this project than on my linux machine.

Let's face it, 95% of the pc users in the US use windows (not sure of the rest of the world) and if the sales of these tablets keep growing it would be a very good draw to linux if someone had a one or two click build out there for Linux. Something where someone could down load one "build" that included all the steps and software to make this happen even if it was a stand alone linux system just for that purpose. Oh well, just dreaming in type.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well any 32 bit Linux does work, even from livecd that's why I suggested it.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Well any 32 bit Linux does work, even from livecd that's why I suggested it.

How would you go about loading the adb patch you made in the case of a live cd ? does the live cd create a ramdisk or could you run it off a flash drive directly ? If you will explain it, maybe we could add it to the sticky threads for non widows users. We have a mac guy doing the Linux users...8042 without livesuite thread.

I'm curious