Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite,

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
How would you go about loading the adb patch you made in the case of a live cd ? does the live cd create a ramdisk or could you run it off a flash drive directly ? If you will explain it, maybe we could add it to the sticky threads for non widows users. We have a mac guy doing the Linux users...8042 without livesuite thread.

I'm curious

Linux can run from flash drive, I have a version on flash drive, cd are just cheaper, anyway a livecd or liveusb both work the same way, you have a ramdisk that stores your downloads and modification, you can make this permanent or temporary. The livecd works just like running installed Linux. slower but will run all commands a fully installed Linux will do including adb commands.

here is an example

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741824

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I do not normally use windows either but, Mepis linux (my OS of choice) does not seem very compatable with adb at this point. I have been able, at least so far, to get further along on this project than on my linux machine.

Let's face it, 95% of the pc users in the US use windows (not sure of the rest of the world) and if the sales of these tablets keep growing it would be a very good draw to linux if someone had a one or two click build out there for Linux. Something where someone could down load one "build" that included all the steps and software to make this happen even if it was a stand alone linux system just for that purpose. Oh well, just dreaming in type.

I just noticed you mentioned you used Mepis, I used to build my own Version of Mepis back in the day. Don't run across many Mepis guys anymore.

MEPIS Community Forum - View topic - Mepis_Gnome Remaster

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I have moved everything into that directory inside the c drive and I still get the same message. Windows is not recgonizing adb as a command. Is there something I should be typing instead of that in windows?

One of the things I ran into with Mepis is I run a 64 bit system and there were some of the lib 32 files that wer needed and not available. Perhaps that would be a repository issue but, I wasn't even sure justy what was needed.

If someone has a link to a download for a distro that has everything I need I could download and burn an iso image and try running from the live cd/dvd.

I am getting real discouraged trying to make this work. Been at this for a few days and have made some progress but, the thought of downloading all this stuff agaion is not inspiring.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok what about this I sign a zip that can be installed via stock recovery, it will root and flash recovery for you, you download the zip rename to update.zip boot into recovery and flash it.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Ok, just tested Vampirefo's adb bin file with ubuntu 12.04 live cd. copied the file to the destop and it works with my tablet.

Just search "ubuntu live cd download" and you'll find the ISO at ubuntu.com-

Vamp mentioned loading linux on a flash drive, a couple years ago i found an old 64 meg (thats meg not gig) flash drive. I put DSL linux on it and sometimes use it to test systems. works like a champ. The dsl iso is about 50 meg.

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Does it have to be a 32 bit system? The Linux box and this box are 64 bit. My laptop is 32 bit but, doesn't always play well with wifi but might be worth a try. Someone mentioned DSL distro. Does it have what is needed though. I'll download and burn a cd of ubuntu. Thanks

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Well I cannot boot ubuntu to the laptop.I'll try a smaller distro. I cannot get ubuntu to boot to the laptop at all. Puppy will not connect to the internet. The command given in this post do not work in windows. Is there a linux distro with all the programs and software needed preloaded? This is an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Is there a way to open a terminal while running ubuntu live dvd?

I have it 32 bit running on my linux box with the DVD but, not being familiar with ubuntu, I have not yet found a way to enter the terminal. Thanks

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Found out how to open the terminal from ubuntu forums. Cannot yet figure out how to navigate to the directory that has the files in. Still too stupid to quit.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I just looked at this thread. In Windows, were you attempting to use the root utility to root your tablet or do the rooting by hand? If you were trying to do it by hand, you might want to download the root utility anyway, since you can use it as a guide as you type in the commands.

Usually, if you get an "adb is not recognized" error in Windows it's because you are trying to execute ADB from outside of the directory it is located in. ADB is not in your Windows path and therefore cannot be executed outside of its directory. Thus you need to cd to the directory, e.g. F:\ADB and run ADB.exe from there.

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Well what an ordeal. I have good news/bad news. I finally was able to transfer all my files to my laptop running 32 bit Mepis 8.5 and get the coby rooted and went through the google apps signed thingy and all went well except there is no google apps on here upon reboot. Wasn't before and still not. So now what? Any other things to try? Cannot use the google apps without the google apps icon.

At least now we know it doesn't work well on 64 bit systems. Thanks

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well what an ordeal. I have good news/bad news. I finally was able to transfer all my files to my laptop running 32 bit Mepis 8.5 and get the coby rooted and went through the google apps signed thingy and all went well except there is no google apps on here upon reboot. Wasn't before and still not. So now what? Any other things to try?

It does work on 64 bit, but you need 32libs, I run 4 distros on my desktop, 1 is 64bit to compile jellybean the other 3 distros are 32bit.

for gapps you can try this if you want.

allwinner_root_gapps_signed.zip

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Well what an ordeal. I have good news/bad news. I finally was able to transfer all my files to my laptop running 32 bit Mepis 8.5 and get the coby rooted and went through the google apps signed thingy and all went well except there is no google apps on here upon reboot. Wasn't before and still not. So now what? Any other things to try?

How far did you go on the instructions ?

Gapps can be flashed via the recovery you installed. Have you made a backup from the new recovery ? do this before flashing gapps.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
On my stock rom, the system partition is 249 of 251meg with full gapps. Is this a problem ?