Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite,

grandcanon

Feb 13, 2013
so all I have to do is to put the zip files in the external SDcard then?
the same process>select install zip from sdcard?

shadowmane

Mar 4, 2013
I just got my tablet today. I had an iRulu before, but it had a resistive screen, and had issues, so I sent it back. I got this tablet instead. I've been reading all day long about rooting Android devices (which I had begun back when I got the iRulu), and found this forum. At first, I thought I had the MID1045, and was searching like crazy for stuff for that discontinued device. Happily, I discovered that I have the 1042-8, which seems to be supported by everything going around the internet.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to do this yet. I want to read through the procedure again a few more times. I have Ubuntu 12.04, so I know this will work (provided my terminal don't act up... I'm having some issues with it updating, but that's not in the scope of these forums). I just wanted to drop a line and thank Vamp for this.

Once I get my nerve up, I plan on putting CWM Recovery Touch on the tablet, with the other stuff as well. I'm glad I was able to find a way to mod this tablet without having to find a Windows machine to do it on.

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
How would I go about just flashing the recovery.img included with this? Through Terminal Emulator because apparently my PC refuses to let me use the SDK or ADB. I'm already rooted. I am so close I can taste it, it has been frustrating me for atleast 12 hours now. Thanks for the help in advance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If you are already rooted, use can use terminal or write a script to install recovery.

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
If you are already rooted, use can use terminal or write a script to install recovery.

I even got flash_image on this thing and it keeps failing when I try to flash the recovery.
#su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
error scanning partitions: No such file or directory

It clearly exists, I can ls and see the recovery.img right there.

I tried via terminal and adb (which I finally got to work after installing JDK v6 instead of 7)

Any advice?

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
So UPDATE, I got CWM on here finally, then I flashed AlienRom... wifi didnt work, so then I remembered this update. Flashed it through CWM.

Great, it has me going through a bootloop. Stuck on android screen, what am I supposed to do? I cant figure out how to do a battery pull like I normally would. What is there to do now? How do I get to recovery?

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
Reboot into recovery, then install your backup.

It wasnt letting me get to recovery, just stuck on android screen. I actually had to let the thing die, and then get to recovery. Back on stock rooted right now, are there any other roms besides Alienrom for this tablet? I see some people flash roms made for the A8 on similar tablets, on varying devices, any chance that is possible with this one? Also found a forum/website where they are selling a rom for $12 which I'm unsure whether it exists or not.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If the site in question is selling a ROM, most likely that site has stolen the work of people on THIS forum.

That said, other than AlienROM, there are no ROMs for your tablet. I personally recommend tweaking the stock ROM rather than installing a custom ROM. The developers have a difficult time keeping up with all the hardware changes Coby pulls out for their tablets. This is borne out by the fact that the very first custom ROMs for these tablets would routinely fail to function on models released just a few months later.

whread

Apr 15, 2013
Hey!

Got a 1042 3 days ago - ran slow and somewhat erratically compared to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and could not find much good stuff on the included app store. Google store was not included so downloaded some app packages from a bitorrent site.
Not knowing much at all about Android or hardware specific things the result was a bricked 1042 by day 2. Did some web searches and found livesuit, found the 3 images uploaded by Mike Hard.
The sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1 worked but no wifi but oddly enough no touch screen issues.
Then I found this site and read the
[h=3]Sticky: READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility[/h]
in the Coby Generation 3 Development section (forum?)

So... despite the warning not to do it tried what was outlined there but ended with the 1042 bricked again.

Went back to livesuit and used the sun4i_crane_mid1042_120820Phip-V1 which resulted in a boot loop.
Did livesuit again with the sun4i_crane_mid1042-CrazyHamster-120808-v1 and got back to operation still no wifi and still no touch screen issues. It does have a crazy hamster app in it though, somewhat annoying.

thought I bricked it 3 times so far so why go the distance and followed the
[h=3]Sticky: READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility[/h]instructions one more time which got me rooted with clockworkmod installed WAHOO but still no wifi and still no touch screen issues. I used the 2 linked images in this thread and found the third by searching the name.
All went well. But still no wifi and still no touch screen issues.

In the hopes of getting the wifi to work cwm flashed the stockMID1042.zip and that got me almost back to the original state, the main difference being the old appstore so that zip came from a dump off an incarnation of the 1042 previous to mine.

Then really got loose and cwm flashed the AlienDroidV2.0 (superb work there, fellow - send me an address and I'll send you a bag of what the Chinese consider the finest tea on earth).

Still no wifi but do have a few clues as to why - the biggest being no mac address is shown ergo the wifi hardware is not being initialized.

Being a complete newbie and also a stunod I made no dumps before the 1st brick and use of livesuit.

I'll watch the threads here and when a dump from a late model 1042 (after November 2012) shows up I'll use it to get back to zero. In the meantime I am seriously considering doing some surgery on this little wench to find out what the wifi module is and it's specs then writing my own.

From what I see these Androids use Linux which seems very, very close to UNIX ( I haven't written a program for more than 25 years so I really am a newbie).

The real result of my 3 days of frenzy is all you with bricked 1042's out there CAN get it back 100% if you find a stock dump from one manufactured around the same time as yours.
The worst that can happen is you get it almost back. So there is hope.

A suggestion: when you post a dump include the approximate dates of manufacture or the build number you can find in settings/about tablet.

It would be a good idea to put the dump in the correct place of course - it does pay to read the stickeys and follow the rules - keeps things organized and easy to find.

Bricked mine 3 times and got a boot loop 5 times in 3 days but still got it to run - follow these guys lead, use you brain and you will have sucess, I did.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You don't have wifi at all? I will be working on my 1042, wifi works signal is weak, I am looking at using the 9742 and 8042 to fix the 1042.

whread

Apr 15, 2013
Just got home -

No WiFi - logs show initialization failure as well as what the system thinks the WiFi module is - then shows all the other failures expected in that situation - RF sniffer indicates no RF in the 802 spectrum near the tablet

Tablet WiFi toggle responds to touch - shown On Or Off but the message "Turning WiFi On" stays on screen indefinitly - utilities show WiFi not on - browers show messages WiFi not on - switch widget indicator for WiFi lights up but WiFi indicator on button or lower right of screen does not appear

Want some logs?