Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for your reply. typing search works fine (even with suggestions). Its voice search that crashes. (The microphone at the other side of the search widget). Its not a big thing, just an annoyance. Voice recording works fine. I'm able to use grooveip app for phone calls.

Any ideas, suggestions ?

jailuis

Aug 8, 2012
After about 2-3 tries, it gave up and installed correctly :) At first it would either stuck at COBY or at ANDROID.. But the thirtd time, got past it and I FINALLY have Gapps on my other tablet ^^ No problem has shown up right now. Thanks Vampirefo, Really ^^

fortega

Sep 19, 2012
I felt my Coby Kyros MID7042 was little more than a toy without root and, mostly, without Google Play. I followed Vampirefo's method and everything worked fine. The only problem I have detected is with voice search, but I dont use that function, so I havent even tried to solve that issue. Excelent work, vampirefo.

Shadowkiller

Dec 12, 2012
I just got a 7042 today, came here and to my dismay all help here, so far is only for windows users, "LiveSuite", if you are happy with livesuite you may use it, however it has two major set backs, one it's only for windows users, second if your usb malfunctions you are out of luck.
I have read through most of the 7042 threads, and have taken from them what I needed, "temp root", from that we can do almost anything.

What I will be covering in this thread is how to root, install recovery, install a modified boot.img, install a custom rom. all without using "livesuite"

you will need adb setup and working, I am a Linux user, don't want to use windows to modify my tablets.

Anyway lets begin.

I have added both boot.img and both updates, this covers both know 7042's.

download 7042_root_recovery.zip

7042_root_recovery.zip

extract to your desktop you should have a folder called data, and a text file root_recovery, it contains the following commands. type one command at a time allow each command to finish before typing next command.

The first command is simply coping the contents of the data folder to your tablet, the second command is asking for shell, third and fourth commands are setting permissions, fifth command is sending exploit, sixth command is asking for root permission, seventh command is installing recovery, eight command is booting into recovery.

open a terminal

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su "Note at this point you can backup your system, recovery and boot.img, you don't have to but you might want to, see note 1 below."

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

once in recovery

volume up and down to navigate power to execute. silver button is back.

at this time you should make a backup.

download 7042_boot.zip

7042_boot.zip

7042_boot1.zip

adb push 7042_boot.zip /sdcard

then use recovery to select install zip from sdcard and install it.

reboot

download 7042_update.zip

7042_update.zip

7042_update1.zip

place on sdcard

adb shell reboot-recovery

select install zip from sdcard and install it.

credits

steev

saurik

fun

If there is anyone that I left out of the credits, please let me know so I can give you credit for any work that I might have borrowed.

Note 1 if you want to backup your recovery, boot.img and system before making changes run commands below.
adb shell
su
mkdir /sdcard/dump
cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/7042_system.tar /system

then use either adb pull to put them on your pc, or mount the tablet with the pc.

after recovery is installed

to boot into recovery from shutdown

press an hold volume up + silver button press power release power at coby screen keep holding volume up + silver button until you see cwm screen.

to get into recovery from normal mode download terminal from market

su

reboot-recovery

or from adb shell

reboot-recovery.

ok so i folled all the instructions on how do root my 7042 kyros tablet with livesuit and now when i go to turn on my tablet it wont go past the android logo and some times not even that far. i have no clue on what im doing wrong or did do wrong so any help would be amazing
thank you

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
ok so i folled all the instructions on how do root my 7042 kyros tablet with livesuit and now when i go to turn on my tablet it wont go past the android logo and some times not even that far. i have no clue on what im doing wrong or did do wrong so any help would be amazing
thank you

You didn't follow the instructions in this thread. Livesuite is a different method entirely. Unfortuately the livesuite images are old and coby makes different hardware vesions of the same model. Did you try the livesuite method again? which livesuite image did you use ?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@Shadowkiller

What you did wrong was use livesuite, my method is without livesuite. I can't help you.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
thank you
You must have downloaded the Livesuite ROM and software before the links were removed. In any case, as mentioned by the previous pair of posters, this process doesn't use Livesuite. Attempting to use this method on top of Livesuite tends to brick tablets, which is why the Livesuite links were removed from this forum in the first place.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with Livesuite now. The only other option is to get the tablet exchanged.

continuume

Dec 12, 2012
Great rom!

However, is the Bluetooth suppose to be working in this ROM? It's not for me.

Is there another ROM where Bluetooth works?

Thanks.

vhce

Jan 9, 2014
Hi to all

My Coby Kyros 7042 fell and the screen and digitizer tablet departed and can no longer interact with the tablet.

Do not intend to replace the screen, but I intend to use it for TV android device since it works for hdmi, but I can not connect the mouse or keyboard, or beyond the physical keys can not interact with the tablet.

After the fall, I managed to make root the device, but do not have the "USB Debugging" turned on!

And from what I read on google, it will be essential to connect with this option turned on, so that the tablet via adb commands (something I know exists but do not know anything), becoming operational with mouse and / or keyboard.

My question is whether it is possible to accomplish with this rom. What I want is if I can give help to accomplish what I want with my coby 7042 and if it is possible.

Thanks in advance

VHCE

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The 7042 makes a fine set top box. All you need is to connect a usb mouse. This will allow you to set usb debugging using the mouse and using the tv for display.

I use a wireless mouse to control from across the room.

Good luck

Last edited: