Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi to all

My Coby Kyros 7042 fell and the screen and digitizer tablet departed and can no longer interact with the tablet.

Do not intend to replace the screen, but I intend to use it for TV android device since it works for hdmi, but I can not connect the mouse or keyboard, or beyond the physical keys can not interact with the tablet.

After the fall, I managed to make root the device, but do not have the "USB Debugging" turned on!

And from what I read on google, it will be essential to connect with this option turned on, so that the tablet via adb commands (something I know exists but do not know anything), becoming operational with mouse and / or keyboard.

My question is whether it is possible to accomplish with this rom. What I want is if I can give help to accomplish what I want with my coby 7042 and if it is possible.

Thanks in advance

VHCE

I can't see any rom fixing your problem, most likely you broke your micro usb port, you probably need to replace it.
Adb isn't required for keyboard or mouse, only a working usb port.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hi to all

My Coby Kyros 7042 fell and the screen and digitizer tablet departed and can no longer interact with the tablet.

Do not intend to replace the screen, but I intend to use it for TV android device since it works for hdmi, but I can not connect the mouse or keyboard, or beyond the physical keys can not interact with the tablet.

After the fall, I managed to make root the device, but do not have the "USB Debugging" turned on!

And from what I read on google, it will be essential to connect with this option turned on, so that the tablet via adb commands (something I know exists but do not know anything), becoming operational with mouse and / or keyboard.

My question is whether it is possible to accomplish with this rom. What I want is if I can give help to accomplish what I want with my coby 7042 and if it is possible.

Thanks in advance

VHCE

Sorry, I misread your post or overlooked the usb trouble you are having. Are you using the OTG cable to connect your mouse or keyboard.

Do you have vampirefo's cwm recovery installed ? If so, make sure you have a backup of your current configuration. Then you can install vamp's CM9 for 7042. Its been a while, but i believe it has usb debugging turned on by default.

From there, you can use a VNC app to control the tablet from a desktop.

vhce

Jan 9, 2014
I can't see any rom fixing your problem, most likely you broke your micro usb port, you probably need to replace it.
Adb isn't required for keyboard or mouse, only a working usb port.

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

But I'm sure that my USB port works because when I connect it to PC via moborobo program recognizes .... just tells me that I do not turn on the USB debugging option. Also when I plug in a USB stick in the android status bar, a notification appears ... just can not interact with the tablet ,besides phisical keys....so I can´t mount SD card, but it makes sense that the mini usb port may be damaged.

I should mention that I did root through LiveSuite, then my recovery and rom is still stock...

Question: The original version that comes with the tablet is android 4, the mouse connected through caboOTG recognizes it immediately? Or do I have to enable some option in settings?

I have searched on google and I've found that the mouse works through the mini USB port via a USB hub.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my poor english

VHCE

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Question: The original version that comes with the tablet is android 4, the mouse connected through caboOTG recognizes it immediately? Or do I have to enable some option in settings?

The USB mouse should work with the OTG cable.

No changes to the software or settings is needed.

vhce

Jan 9, 2014
Sorry, I misread your post or overlooked the usb trouble you are having. Are you using the OTG cable to connect your mouse or keyboard.

Do you have vampirefo's cwm recovery installed ? If so, make sure you have a backup of your current configuration. Then you can install vamp's CM9 for 7042. Its been a while, but i believe it has usb debugging turned on by default.

From there, you can use a VNC app to control the tablet from a desktop.

Sorry i aldo didn´t see your post :eek:

Well I still have the stock recovery .... I'll try that way on the weekend ...since I do not have the tablet with me.

This vamp's CM9 for 7042, the HDMI works, right?

@vampirefo anda @ tpaine
thank you very much
VHCE

Last edited:

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
CM9? any chance this can easily be modified to work on the coby MID8065? I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the only one with this device and there for hardley any support. I can of course help with testing. Better yet, it would be nice to upgrade the tablet to at lease 4.2 (currently on 4.0.4).

sorry about my whining

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
CM9? any chance this can easily be modified to work on the coby MID8065? I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the only one with this device and there for hardley any support. I can of course help with testing. Better yet, it would be nice to upgrade the tablet to at lease 4.2 (currently on 4.0.4).

sorry about my whining

I am not porting anything for 8065,but you can or anyone else with an 8065. I don't have a 8065, so no interest in it.
My 7065 is used by my son at college, he is happy with stock firmware, so I won't be porting for 7065 either.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I have a 9742-8 that has been flashed with LiveSuite. I understand that it's a really bad idea to try installing CWM with ADB in Windows after that, it apparently tends to brick the tablet permanently. Is this also true when using ADB in Linux? I've been pulling out what little is left of my hair trying to get CWM installed. Am I simply SOL or will Linux come through for me again? As a last resort, is it possible to flash only the recovery with LiveSuite?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have a 9742-8 that has been flashed with LiveSuite. I understand that it's a really bad idea to try installing CWM with ADB in Windows after that, it apparently tends to brick the tablet permanently. Is this also true when using ADB in Linux? I've been pulling out what little is left of my hair trying to get CWM installed. Am I simply SOL or will Linux come through for me again? As a last resort, is it possible to flash only the recovery with LiveSuite?

You should be able to flash recovery via adb.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
"extract to your desktop you should have a folder called data, and a text file root_recovery, it contains the following commands. type one command at a time allow each command to finish before typing next command."

I downloaded the file "8042_9742_recovery.zip" and extracted it. It does not have a folder called data, it has recovery.img, reboot.recovery, and install-recovery.sh. Exactly where should I adb-push these files before executing, into the same /data/local/tmp/? Or does it matter? The 9742 seems to be substantially different from the 7042, or at least the recovery.zip is.

Sorry if I seem woefully ignorant, it's because I am. One of the main reasons I bought this tablet was to learn my way around Android. I've been using Linux for over ten years now, but I'm far from a developer, and adb is entirely new territory.

Thanks for all your help!

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
OK, so I overlooked the obvious (not the first, probably not the last time): Wrong file. I downloaded 9742_root_recovery.zip from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/42314-9742-stock-custom-rom.html. It has all the described files & folders, and all went according to plan, finally!

Since I'll apparently do anything rather than my taxes, here are a few observations that might help out some other newbie:

ADB is part of Google's Android SDK, and in order to install it, you must first install the SDK and run it, then install platform-tools from there. In a Linux install that means run /android-sdk-linux/tools/android as root, then cd /android-sdk-linux/platform-tools and run adb. Oddly enough it depends on Java! Why in the world would Google write their Android SDK in Sun's Java?

Reboot-recovery worked for me from ADB shell, but still will not work from ROM-Toolbox's reboot widget. ADB shell is the first software switch I've found that will boot into recovery; all others seem to simply reboot into Android. The 9742 gets into recovery by holding down 3 buttons, power, back, and either vol- or vol+. This still works.

This tablet was already rooted, it has Steev's ROM from flashmyandroid in it, so I probably did more work than necessary, but it didn't seem to do any harm.

The first thing I did with my new CWM recovery was run a backup. Is anyone still interested in the result? If so I'll find the right thread and upload the files there.

Many thanks, Vampirefo, Traveller, and all who made this possible!

gth826a

Jul 16, 2012
My apologies if this post should go into a different thread/sticky/forum/etc...
I have a Coby Kyros MID9742 8gb and made the unfortunate mistake of using LiveSuit (.IMG file) to root the device and add Google Play; my screen is now inverted.

I understand that LiveSuit and ADB don't play well together, if at all, and at this point I'm willing to risk it... I've been unable to find any other LiveSuit .IMG files to correct the issue.

I've downloaded various files (boot.img, recovery.img, Java JDK, ADB SDK, etc.) that I believe are needed to potentially correct the issue.
However, I'm unfamiliar with the syntax and need explicit instructions (adb commands, which files in which order, etc.).

The objectives, if possible:
1. Fix inverted screen issue
2. Root device
3. Upgrade recovery to CWM
4. Add Google Play, or all GAPPs if possible

Thanks in advance for any help...

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I have put together a Puppy Linux live CD with the Android SDK and its dependency Java included. It's made from Lucid Puppy 528, chosen for compatibility with a huge range of hardware. It has been tested on a Pentium 4, a Pentium Dual-Core, and a new I3. I no longer have a Pentium 2 or 3 but it should work on those also assuming adequate RAM, I'm guessing about 128MB minimum.

I have no place to upload the ISO to! Any suggestions or offers are welcomed. That is if anyone is interested in any such thing.