Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
That's as far as I got. I stopped when the reboot operation was not permitted. I this normal? Should I continue? By the way, I think I am rooted because superuser is listed as one of the apps. How do I check to make sure that I'm rooted.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
That's as far as I got. I stopped when the reboot operation was not permitted. I this normal? Should I continue? By the way, I think I am rooted because superuser is listed as one of the apps. How do I check to make sure that I'm rooted.

you didn't type su

right after you run /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

you must type su

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
below are the instructions from first page,

open a terminal

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su "Note at this point you can backup your system, recovery and boot.img, you don't have to but you might want to, see note 1 below."

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

once in recovery

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
OK I did everything you said and it seemed to work. I downloaded the 8042 zip to my 9042. Is there a different zip for the 9042? It seems to boot OK but it is frozen at the main screen and the unlock button doesn't work.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hagsmich said:
OK I did everything you said and it seemed to work. I downloaded the 8042 zip to my 9042. Is there a different zip for the 9042? It seems to boot OK but it is frozen at the main screen and the unlock button doesn't work.

Lol dude it's for coby 8042 not 9042, where did you read that I said this works on 9042?

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
LOL I know I'm a dumbass! I thought in the first post it said that the process worked for several different models including mine. OK how do I fix it? and what kind of coffee do you like?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hagsmich said:
LOL I know I'm a dumbass! I thought in the first post it said that the process worked for several different models including mine. OK how do I fix it? and what kind of coffee do you like?

If you made a backup just restore it. If not will take longer, might not get to it til this weekend.
I probably can make a patch that should allow this rom to work on 9042.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I didn't back it up as I should have. I am really new at this and I am learning by leaps and bounds. NOTE TO SELF: Complete Backup. I went looking online and found four files: 9042_build.prop.zip, 9042_recovery.zip, boot.img and 9042_system.tar. It seems that there are other boneheads like me out there learning the hard way. Will any of these files help? If not, I can wait until the weekend or whatever your schedule will allow for your assistance. Thanks again in advance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I didn't back it up as I should have. I am really new at this and I am learning by leaps and bounds. NOTE TO SELF: Complete Backup. I went looking online and found four files: 9042_build.prop.zip, 9042_recovery.zip, boot.img and 9042_system.tar. It seems that there are other boneheads like me out there learning the hard way. Will any of these files help? If not, I can wait until the weekend or whatever your schedule will allow for your assistance. Thanks again in advance.

Most likely those are my files, yes those files should return you to stock.