List Installed Apps

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Is there a good application that will collect the names (and sizes maybe) of all the apps installed on the device? I've seen a few listed, but either you have to go through a number of hoops or the app is overkill for something so simple.

Having the ability to save to a text file would be great too. Too bad Link2SD doesn't do this. You might have to unlink everything, or manually add all that stuff to a list.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
You could try App List Backup if you haven't already.

Simple, generates a list of installed apps, allows you to select some/all. Doesn't backup the apps just some basic info. Allows you to select from the list to re-install (from market only). Creates one file on your sd card. Not quite plain text, but you can read it.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks lemmy,

That application imply lists all of the installed apps, from the market or elsewhere, so you can re-download the Market apps later. Users should keep their own backups of non-Market apps, if they've got any good I.T. habits at all.

You can select which options for each app you want in the list, like name only, name + size, or name+size+date.

Sorry, but I can't find the thanks button!

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
hi lemmy,

It seemed alright until I tried to read the file. It looks like the usual Wordpad stuff with the CRLF characters, but it wasn't. Have you been able to figure out the formatting characters? It doesn't look like XML. Plus, I selected the +size information option but don't see any numbers.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I had just opened the file in the text editor on the S7. I assumed it was CRLF stuff as well. I hadn't tried the other options before. Just used it to back up and restore my app list.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I didn't know the S7 had a text editor, or did you get one from somewhere?

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
What's wrong with the built in Setup>Applications >Manage Applications to get a list.

Use mybackup or titanium backup, you can then browse the list of apps and restore app by app, and also restore the app's data.

Pete

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
When you have 200 apps on the device, it would take 4 hours to catalog all the applications information

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I think I fund a good alternative to App List Backup.

It's called Zemna AppList Backup. It produces a file with all your apps in it, but it also allows you to edit the list file's name so you can include things like the date. The file includes an apps name, a market link, and an icon. No, it's not a text file, it's an XML file, s that is a little bit of a crutch. Fortunately Zemna's viewer can parse yjr file with the icons, so it looks nice. then you can email it to yourself for storage on your desktop or printing. While viewing the list on your device, you can longtap gets you a Market button to tap to install the app on your device.

Zemna is fairly basic. You don't get anything but a name, market link and icon. You don't any other details like file size.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I've settled on App Lister from Bespoke Systems. It gives you all the usual stuff like icon, size, a Market link, and version. If you email the result to yourself, it also prints out nicely, one entry per line.

I still haven't been able to view the output from App List Backup. Is there a program for Windoze that accurately views XML docs? I thought IE8 was supposed to do all that.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Notepad++ does all kinds of files

Not sure if it is sufficient for what you want

Sent from my IDEOS S7

Music

Feb 5, 2011
From what I know about XML files is that it's not like HTML so you need a second file or template file to act like a stylesheet so the viewer knows how to set up the document. So that leaves you file listers with just reading the name and such as a plain text file,like App Lister does, or getting the fancy information from your tab's screen.