Live Outside US? Here Are A Few Alternatives To Google Play Store/Amazon Appstore

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Live outside of the U.S.? Can't purchase apps from the Android Market or the Amazon Appstore? Well here's a few LEGAL alternatives you might want to try.
wink.png

SlideME

SlideME lets you browse its catalog of apps online or via an installable app called SAM that runs the whole experience on your Android device. This market focuses on promoting the work of small, independent developers. One advantage of this is that it’s a good place for publishers to scout out developer talent early, and app developers can be contacted directly via SlideME.
Free apps can be downloaded directly from the website, while those with a price attached are only available via SlideME’s app.

Handango

Handango is an online store that sells mobile software. Handango offers worldwide distribution, support, and e-commerce services to its partners. Company's customers include consumers, software developers, mobile operators, and original equipment manufacturers. Supported mobile devices include Android devices, Palm handhelds, Windows Mobile devices, Symbian OS devices, and BlackBerry devices.

MobiHand OnlyAndroid

An old hand at the app store game, MobiHand has been selling apps for a number of platforms for several years.
Via its OnlyAndroid store it offers a wide range apps and differentiates itself with discounted apps. This includes a “Deal of the Day”, where one app is offered at a significant discount for 24 hours. The store sells phone accessories such as chargers and cases in addition to apps.
MobiHand OnlyAndroid also offers an app to access its store from your phone.

Aproov

Newly launched Aproov is a Web-based app store initially focusing exclusively on free Android apps. Billed as “The way an app store was meant to be”, it takes a bare-bones approach to navigation with a list of categories displayed on the left-hand expanding to reveal a mixture of apps uploaded directly by developers and search results from the official Android Market.
Customer ratings and reviews are supported and developers are able to upload videos of their apps in action, something that is promised for the future in the official Android Market. As a new store, it all looks a little sparse right now, with few user reviews or videos to be found. However, this is a store worth keeping an eye on to see how it develops.

Opera Mobile Store

Opera Software introduced their Opera Mobile Store earlier this year. mobilestore.opera.com. This storefront is a featured Speed Dial link in the Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers, which makes the storefront immediately accessible by more than 100 million people who use an Opera browser on their mobile phones. The Opera Mobile Store has been built and delivered through a strategic partnership with Appia, the leading provider of open application marketplace technology. The Opera Mobile Store offers both free and paid applications for virtually any mobile platform and device. The Opera Mobile Store is available to Opera users and users of other mobile browsers, on all popular mobile phone platforms in more than 200 countries. The Opera Mobile Store uses Appia’s storefront commerce technology and leverages a wide catalog of applications for phones with Java, Symbian, BlackBerry and Android operating systems. The storefront experience is customized to each user’s phone, providing a tailored catalog based on the phone’s operating system, local language and currency.

GetJar

GetJar bills itself as “The world’s second largest app store with over 1 billion downloads to date, second only to the Apple App Store”. The store support Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, iPhone and Symbian platforms. You can filter down to just the Android apps by setting your phone type in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
GetJar was the first place you could download the Android version of Angry Birds, before even the official Market. The game’s developer, Rovio cited GetJar’s global reach as the reason for its choice. Other exclusive launches include the Android version of iPhone game Slice It!, while the company recently took the interesting approach of paying developers up-front for games and then giving them away to customers for free.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
You're welcome Smoothsnake. Hope you're able to get some use out of these alternatives. ;)

nathanpc

Dec 21, 2010
The Android Market is available worldwide and has no restrictions to app downloads, but I hate that with my AMEX card I can't purchase applications that aren't priced with US$. I don't know why Google made this.

jonbon

Jul 29, 2011
so how do we non US people get into Market or Amazon, and what is the reason behind the lack of access - especially regarding free apps.

Anitatay63

Nov 27, 2011
After hours of trying Android and Amazon Market to download a E Reader Apps was totally disilutioned thought I'd bought a dud Tablet ready to fling it through the door I stumbled upon your page. Thank you my sanity is restored :)

Wadena

Dec 11, 2011
I was in the same boat very frustration with this tablet, I can't find where the registration number is so I can register it on Amazon.ca. I would appreciate you help..thanks
Larry

Last edited:

madzky

Dec 20, 2011
hey does it work on Android tablets? everytime I try on sites w/ apps they only say it's for android phones only
need help I'm just a kid who doesn't have a clue how to use a tablet

Jakub

Dec 26, 2011
I'm actually Checking out SlideMe.
It's very easy to use and now I'm installing some apps.

Verified some apps,very cool :)

slarkin123

Nov 2, 2011
I've found getjar a good site for apps. It does for the 2 different tables and 3 phones we have in the house. Keeps everyone happy. But I think I will be trying a few others

vesko321

Dec 31, 2011
Installed this ROM, it is kind of slow (understandable, my tablet is ePad 7" generic from china), but the real problem is that Market doesn't return ANY results, doesn't matter if I search for skype for example, or just the letter "s". Google account is set, wifi works, browser works. What can be the problem? I have the same problem with all other builds. Please help!