Loading books for kindle app?

Adeena

Nov 23, 2011
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone had tried loading books on their Le Pan? I have the kindle app, and successfully downloaded some from the Kindle store on Amazon.. but I have a bunch of ebooks already on my computer that I'd like to just transfer onto the Le Pan, instead of having to find/redownload. I have Calibre, and converted them to epub, but when I transfer them to my Kindle folder on the Le Pan, it can't see them/doesn't display them in the selection.

Am I missing something?

I bought three on Black Friday - one for hubby, two for sons, and I'm trying to get them all set up for Christmas. :) On the sly. Means I don't want to be fiddling around with them too much, in case one of them spots one! :D

Any help appreciated. :)

~Adeena

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
I think Kindle doesn't read epub...there is a free Nook app that does, though, and a ton of other free readers. Moon+, etc...My advice is to grab one of those reader apps on each tablet, add Dropbox to your PC and tablets, and you can transfer files quickly and easily. The Kindle app itself, as far as I know, only plays Kindle files. I hear tell of a way to make them work on an actual Kindle device, and a book called "The Kindle Cookbook" that shows how, but I don't know of a way to on a Kindle app on a tablet or phone.

S87

Oct 10, 2010
Kindle reads the file format .mobi. If you convert them in Calibre to .mobi, Kindle will read them.

Drag the .mobi files into the Kindle folder where the other books and restart the app. They should show up.

On Nook, drag the .epub files into a subfolder called, "My Documents" and they will show up after you restart the app. (Under "My Documents" on the main nook menu.)

Any content you purchased from Amazon or B&N can be downloaded by signing into each app with the account used to purchase the book and syncing.

Adeena

Nov 23, 2011
Moon+, etc...My advice is to grab one of those reader apps on each tablet, add Dropbox to your PC and tablets, and you can transfer files quickly and easily.

Just wanted to say THANKS for the recommendation! :D I've downloaded Moon+ on all three tablets, and it's really easy to use. And it's linked to gutenburg and manybooks already, which works perfectly! *happy dance*

Can't wait for Christmas!

JulesVerne

Dec 14, 2011
Figured out my own post! so I'm editting out the question and giving the answer...
I didn't seem to be able to see my mobi books, even though I had found a folder names "kindle"
..... what i was doing wrong was I was moving a folder over which had a mobi file in it and a jpg in it.
and all you should transfer to the Kindle directory is the .mobi file ... forget the folder it was in!

SO, using Astro File Manager, i moved the .mobi files from my sdcard folder I called "Kindle Transfer" (whose path is /mnt/sdcard/Kindle Transfer) and moved them to the folder path /sdcard/kindle which is also the same as /mnt/sdcard/kindle and voila, the books now appear.. so dont clutter that folder up with other folders, just the .mobi files!

What is odd, that though the path may show /mnt/sdcard/kindle (which is the same path as my Kindle Transfer folder that I put on the SDCard), that folder "kindle" is actually on the Le Pan, and not on the SDCard!.. so its a bit confusing. (i.e. when I look at the sdcard in my pc, I only see MY "Kindle Transfer" and not the "kindle" folder, but when mounted, it seems the internal sdcard and the external sdcard show as merged!... weird!!

(Note I have also updated to the newest version of kindle which is 3.3.1.1 (on le pan was 3.2.21 or 3.0.71 .. I think) )
..Andrew

Kindle reads the file format .mobi. If you convert them in Calibre to .mobi, Kindle will read them.

Drag the .mobi files into the Kindle folder where the other books and restart the app. They should show up.

On Nook, drag the .epub files into a subfolder called, "My Documents" and they will show up after you restart the app. (Under "My Documents" on the main nook menu.)

Any content you purchased from Amazon or B&N can be downloaded by signing into each app with the account used to purchase the book and syncing.

Last edited: