Locking down Android Tablet-Admin Rights?

shakey_99

Jul 6, 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing 5-6 7 inch tablets for employees as community tablets (meaning more than 1 person will use them) My quesxtion is:

I only want them to be able to do certain things with them. Surfing the web is fine, I dont want them to be able to download apps and set up email accounts ect ect (due to these being for more than one person)

Is there a way to lock the tablet down or restrict the tablet using some sort of admin rights or password?

Thanks

ETA: Maybe an app that will allow me to grant acces to certain things and require a password to acess others( marketplace, settings, account set up)​

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
the tablet os is based on Linux. I know the Tap-n-Touch ROMs that were created for the Viewsonic G-Tablet supported Profiles, which could be set up with permissions along these lines. I would think there is something similar to this out there.

Hadaak

Mar 27, 2012
Hi. I'm in the same boat. I'm planning to get tablets for students and would like to lock them down to avoid fiddling with the OS and settings. have you found anything in this regard?
Cheers.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You will discover the only way to fully achieve this is to take two distinct paths.
1. Acknowledge you have no control to the total control and keep a Firmware image to completely reset or know how to do a general reset wiping all current configuration and set back to default. The user will be able to install whatever, but you can only wipe, reset and reinstall.

2. Research into either a MDM or MAM solution. (MDM=Mobile Device Management, MAM=Mobile Application Management) There are some cloud based solutions which control from a Internet connected based configuration. This will control what apps are loaded, recovery and sort of Master Key Access. There are big names and little names involved. Please Note, these are priced by either a maintenance/month subscription or a License and a general management service maintenance. And not always inexpensive.

The problem boils down to Android, IOS both are designed for personal use and management, not group management. Newer versions of IOS and Android are more group management friendly. BUT, this requires an MDM or MAM app loaded and installed.