Locking down tablet

shaggyboiler

Jun 13, 2011
My company is evaluating installing tablets all over. We have a few Xoom's now and as IT director I'm tasked with makeing these locked down.

I really need it so the users can't install or delete apps, make it so they can't change wifi settings, and in general have a simplistic tablet. We really just want them to only load the Browser and an RDP app nothing else no email no anything.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

Thank you and this forum has an amazing amount of information.

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
If it were me, I would select 1 specific model for all users and develop a custom ROM. That would give you the most flexibility when it comes sewing it up tight.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
No reason to insult the man Zerotiger. Remember most large company's up till now, have been and are running on large servers in the PC desktop market. Google and or Android is a whole new world. Man was smart to ask. (I was always taught there is never a stupid question.) Your being rude by insulting a guest.. Just my two cents worth about half a penny in today's day and age..

Yours through the screen

MarkWF1

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
Shaggyboiler, your answer to start lies here.. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resource-what-rooting-why-do-i-want-root.html

I would suggest heading over to the XDA developers support forums and studying up. Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers For the most part these the ones that do all the heavy lifting when it comes to rooting and hacking most devices on the net. From there the information all filters down into boards like this one.. Those are the folks that really get into the subject.. Good luck!

Yours through the screen

MarkWF1

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Very good advice MarkWF1. I'm not sure if this will help, but I did a search in the market on "app lock" and got a bunch of hits for apps that allow you to lock down other apps and activities. You might want to see if you could use any of them to accomplish some of your "lock down" requirements. (Amazon, Appbrain, and Android Market all had locking apps)

shaggyboiler

Jun 13, 2011
Thank you everyone.

I'll start reading today. This is the first Android we have worked with. Up till now I have been doing all iPads (which once jailbroken I can lock down pretty well), just with the costs I think the Droids are going to be the tablet of choice. I have also setup a few playbooks and used at BES server to lock it with a IT policy, but I'm limited on how many playbooks I can use till I have to purchase the Enterprise server of BES.

We are new to tablets for sure. We have 10 total and 5 of them are on my desk right now. HP on order as well. We have been fully PC (300) / Server (40) up to this point, but feel giving supervisors the ability to roam and still be on the network is key to future success. I've put in 17 AP's at this point and plan on at last 10 more for more coverage outdoors moving forward.

Again thank you for you help.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnyd

Nov 14, 2011
Hi Shaggyboiler, did you get any joy with this? I am in basically the same situation as yourself, we want to give the supervisors the ability to roam. We only need them to access limited apps (ie. emails), as all they need is to access the intranet.

Hope to hear from you soon. Jonny D

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
There are applications that limit access to applications and various functions. I use App Protector Pro.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum