Longer power cord source.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I bought the ELK-P1216 and it is WAY too big to fit into the tablet.
*sarcastically* Thanks a lot. Now I am out $30 on something I cant use!

robdroid

May 4, 2011
That's exactly what I was trying to post- there's no way a 5.5mm OD coax plug will fit in the 2.3 (approx) socket found on the A500. It's always a good idea to do your own groundwork on specs posted on the internet.... I don't trust anything I read without doing my own fact finding. In this case a $0.99 ruler and a quick look at the PDF for the adapter would have saved someone $30.

Maybe the OP will buy it off you....:(

pentool

May 1, 2011
The cheapest and easiest solution is to cut the cable in the middle and extend it by soldering a longer cable in-between the cut pieces.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Just be sure that the word is spread so that no one else falls for this. if anyone finds an adapter that does fit though, please share the info with us. OP should try it before posting it as being "a longer power cord source." It made it sound like it was definitely going to fit and work.

I'm currently trying to get a refund, but I bought the adapter from a 3rd party on Amazon. Past experiences tell me that it may be hopeless, especially since the seller doesn't have any refund policy posted.

Does anyone know if the Acer Travel Charger is longer? I was looking at it too, but couldn't find any info on the length.

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
According to this poster (xda-developers - View Single Post - Power adaptors) it's the same length cord as the adapter supplied with the A500 (he didn't say how he determined it was the same length though).

Thanks for that. I was wanting a second charger, but if I could get one longer, then it would be a bonus. At least I know that I can get that Travel kit from Acer.

I got an email from that Amazon guy. I can return the charger for a 20% restocking fee and have to pay shipping myself. I guess I am gonna do it since I dont have any use for the adapter. Still sucks though that I am losing money.

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Thus my question earlier. I'm sorry that you had to be a guinea pig. There is another guy on Ebay selling chargers with extenders that are supposed to be for the A500: AC Adapter Power Supply Charger Acer Iconia Tablet A500 - eBay (item 140546720527 end time Jun-08-11 06:52:15 PDT)
I guess I will be the guinea pig for that one and report back to you all. If it works, that would be great. I've asked them to verify that it works for the A500 (so I'll have a written declaration in case it doesn't fit), so once they verify I'm ordering.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Someone posted over at xda (xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] ebay car charger) that this $15 car charger from Walmart works for the A500:
Walmart.com: Car Cord Adapter with Polarity Switch: Automotive
Disclaimer- not tested by me!!
Picked one up at Walmart on the way home from work...
Works perfectly in the car and one of the included tips is the correct size for the A500 and can supply up to 2000ma. Had it plugged in for only a few min and my battery went from 76% to 80% charge.
So at least we have a inexpensive car charging option that works well.

Last edited:

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Amazon.com: PowerLine 90304 1,300mA Variable Voltage Universal AC Adapter with Compatability Tips and USB Power Port: Electronics

This worked. One of the included tips fits the Iconia just fine. It's 1300mA and can be set to 12v. Cable is just slightly over 6 ft in length. cost is $17.63 USD on Amazon

I have been using it for a few days and is working fine.
They had this home charger at Walmart too- same manufacturer, same model number- but it's under powered as compared to the factory A500 wall charger that can supply up to1500mA.
I would be a little concerned using an underated charger/power supply on a tablet.

Jress

May 9, 2011
Also, just to add to my previous post...
Amazon.com: Coby IC Regulated 800mA Universal DC Car Converter CA709: Electronics

I actually had this car charger. But none of the spare tips fit the Iconia tablet. The Tip from the Powerline charger (from the prior post) fit this car charger. Again, the car charger is only 800mA, but charged just fine today when I tested it. I was running Copilot USA in my car and charging via the COBY charger at the same time. Went from 87% battery to 91% battery in 15 minutes while running GPS. So, 800mA charging seems to surpass required amounts to maintain a charge while in my car.
I am planning on heading to my local Radio Shack tomorrow to see if I can find a spare tip for the car charger. If I come up with one, I will post the info here.

I am not an electronics guy, so I do not know if charging with less mA than the OEM charger can cause any damage. Please use these items at your own risk. If someone knows or has any information regarding why it is not okay to use a charger with less mA, I am all ears.

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011
They had this home charger at Walmart too- same manufacturer, same model number- but it's under powered as compared to the factory A500 wall charger that can supply up to1500mA.
I would be a little concerned using an underated charger/power supply on a tablet.

That charger will work fine, the 1500mAh is the charge current, you don't want a charger that's more than the factory charger but less is fine. All it means is that the 1300mAh charger won't charge the device as quickly. It will charge 1300mA in one hour. That means that instead of it taking 2.17 hours for the 1500mAh charger to charge the 3260mAh battery it will take the 1300mAh charger 2.5 hours to charge from dead to full capacity.

Voltage must be the same and output mAh equal or less than the factory charger.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

kes601

May 23, 2011
Thus my question earlier. I'm sorry that you had to be a guinea pig. There is another guy on Ebay selling chargers with extenders that are supposed to be for the A500: AC Adapter Power Supply Charger Acer Iconia Tablet A500 - eBay (item 140546720527 end time Jun-08-11 06:52:15 PDT)
I guess I will be the guinea pig for that one and report back to you all. If it works, that would be great. I've asked them to verify that it works for the A500 (so I'll have a written declaration in case it doesn't fit), so once they verify I'm ordering.

I ordered one of those off of eBay this morning, so we'll be guinea pigs at the same time.