Longer power cord source.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
get an extension cord
rofl.gif

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
So what is the definitive on the longer power cord? I was browsing through the whirlpool forum and there I read a few articles where some people were cutting the cord and adding 6 foot. Now while I've done those things before I'm not keen on experimenting with my original cord.

postc

Nov 4, 2011
i have buyered a good charge for 2M Cable Home / Wall Charger For 10" Acer Iconia Tab A500 Power adapter .Because of its very long line, I can easily do many things.
on witglobal.com There are many Acer accessories, it is convenient.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
i have buyered a good charge for 2M Cable Home / Wall Charger For 10" Acer Iconia Tab A500 Power adapter .Because of its very long line, I can easily do many things.
on witglobal.com There are many Acer accessories, it is convenient.
Okay where from? Scratch that I have read more carefully.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
If you are configuring your own charger/cord/plug setup yourself you want to also make sure you get a smart charger. One that will monitor the charge and start trickling down when it reaches full charge. Otherwise you will cook the battery.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I agree with that. That is why Icebike said that they're "heading for some tears." The supplied plug pack has all the features require to protect the battery and A500.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
As for polarity with those chargers, you have both + and -
It depends on which way you plug in the tip.
How do I set the polarity on my AC adapter or car cord adapter?
Maybe you learned something.
Well didn't lern much there. I was looking for the symbols to show the polarity. It is on the plug pack - but the center is +ve and the outside is -ve. The thing to be carefull of is that the new plug pack should monitor the charging current so that it can lessen the charge and eventually turn it off. Otherwise you will be heading for tears - as Icebike said.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. Has anyone actually measured the current draw when charging yet? That's going to be the only way to know for sure how far down we can safely go, the stock charger is very likely to be about twice the needed current simply to make the charger last as the cheapo components degrade.

Also the charger does nothing to regulate the charge rate of the battery, that is all done in the charge control circuit inside the device.

Has anyone looked to see if Targus has a universal supply yet? Not going to be as cheap as most people want, but it will have been tested to make sure it works.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. Has anyone actually measured the current draw when charging yet? That's going to be the only way to know for sure how far down we can safely go, the stock charger is very likely to be about twice the needed current simply to make the charger last as the cheapo components degrade.

Also the charger does nothing to regulate the charge rate of the battery, that is all done in the charge control circuit inside the device.

Has anyone looked to see if Targus has a universal supply yet? Not going to be as cheap as most people want, but it will have been tested to make sure it works.
It is a switching regulator, as it says on the plug pack. And yes the charging cct in the device monitors the state of the battery. The plug pack has a regulator cct which does, in a very simple way, monitor the out going current and voltage. You will notice the difference in the heat of tne plug pack. When the A500 is fully charged the plug pack begins to cool down - less amperage - the charging cct in the A500 will switch to "trickle charge" mode and the plug pack will detect a very low curent draw (almost open cct) and switch down to trickle charge mode or even turn off. That is how it works. Therefore you cannot simply connect just any PSU and expect it to work. The monitoring cct in the A500 and the regulating cct in the plug pack work in tandem - they work together.
Incorrect PSU - yeah you'll definitely be heading for tears.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
That is not how a power supply like this works. It cools because there is less draw because the charge controller is pulling less current in trickle charge mode. But if that is what people want to believe, then good luck to you.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
For what it's worth, the charger for the A100 is significantly longer than that for the A500, and works on both. I sure hope I'm not damaging my A500 with it, but I assume they both have the same power usage.

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
This one matches the Phihong specs exactly and the seller has a 100% positive eBay rating: 12V 1.5A / 1500 mA NEW AC ADAPTER-CHARGER 2.1mm DC PLUG | eBay

I just ordered it. I'll let you know what I think after I have some experience with it.

UPDATE: 1/31, 1PM - Well, the vendor is impressive so far. I ordered about 9PM last night and I just got a tracking number.

It just arrived and, in spite of their claim that the plug size is 2.1 X 5.5 X 10, it's way too large for the A500. They're saying they don't accept returns so I'll have to find a good way to measure it to prove they didn't send what I'd ordered. So much for their 100% rating. It's about to go down.