Longer power cord source.

gpateluk

Feb 12, 2012
I've finally managed to make my own extension to the Acer A500 power adapter. Mine snapped in the tablet so every time I tried to charge it kept falling out. I read lots and lots forums and people kept on stating sizes that fitted. Those I purchased off ebay and they never fitted!! In the end I went in to Maplin here in the UK and measured the tip needed. The tip that fits is DC Power Plugs : DC Power Connectors : Maplin Electronics 1.1mm (inner) / 3.00mm (outer). Cost me £1.69. What I did was cut the broken tip off. Soldered on a 2.5mm power line socket (the female connection). Then got an old adapter and cut all the ends off. Soldered on a 2.5mm plug (to fit the other 2.5mm socket) and finally on the end I soldered on the 1.1mm/3.0mm tip. It all works perfectly and gives me plenty of length. It all cost me £5.27. The Acer warranty doesn't cover physical damage and a new charger would have cost around £30!!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
That is not how a power supply like this works. It cools because there is less draw because the charge controller is pulling less current in trickle charge mode. But if that is what people want to believe, then good luck to you.

Pull it apart and see. There has to be simple regulator in the powerpack. On tne label it tells you that the output 12v regulated Dc 1.5A. You can argue with that.

fixingstill

Jan 9, 2013
I know this is old thread and I didn't read the 7 pages but hopefully this info I am providing here can help someone.
You need an ANGLED connector, otherwise if you knock the tablet down or someone knocks on it, the first thing that breaks is the connection of the tablet, not the plug.
Googled "3.0mm 1.1mm DC" gave me this link:
C31 - 3.0 x 1.1mm Male Plug with 5.5x2.5mm Female Jack DC Power Connector Tip - D2
which seems to be perfect for our Acer A500 and A100. You just need to find a AC adapter with 12V 1.5A (inside pin positive) with 5.5x2.5mm DC plug. There are plenty of them out there for cable length as long as you want.

Remember, you need an angled connection.