Looking for a 10.1" 32GB Android Tablet.. but which manufacturer to go with?

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by Klikster, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Klikster

Klikster Senior Member

Hi there, as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a tablet. And I've decided on a 32GB Android, but I'm having a tough time deciding on which brand to go with.

First of all, I've never owned an Android OS device before, so I don't have much experience with them at all. Just somewhat playing around with some friends phones in the past.

Also, it's probably best to express that I live in Vancouver, Canada so I'll be purchasing it locally or at least probably through a Canadian retailer. (Unless there's a really good US vendor I'm unaware of? I do have access to a US address that I can ship to!)

Another thing I should express, I'm very interested in having an HDMI out (even if it's mini-HDMI) as that would be very useful for bringing movies over to friends houses, etc. This tablet will be used mainly for the following:

- Watching Movies / TV (Especially on Trips)
    - Connecting to my XBMC Media Center as a remote (or to play movies from if I'm away from my TV)
    - Subscribing to Digital Magazines and reading them (Also probably to read Manga!)
    - Some light gaming
    - Browsing the internet (Facebook / Forums / YouTube)

Here's what devices I'm roughly looking at currently:

1. Samsung Galaxy 10.1 32GB - $499 CAD - Buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB Android Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
    This tablet doesn't come stock with an HDMI port or SD slot, but in the description it states there are 'additional adapters'. The main reason I posted this tablet was because over 70% of the positive information I've heard from tablets (mostly by word of mouth) was about Samsung Galaxy/Nexus devices. But the lack of HDMI and SD is a significant downside.

2. Toshiba 'Thrive' 32GB - $479 CAD - Buy the Toshiba PDA01C-004002 Thrive Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
    This tablet seems to have everything I want/need. External USB, HDMI & SD slots, and it's only $480. However, why is it cheaper than the Galaxy and Xoom? Inferior hardware?

3. Motorola XOOM 32GB - $499 CAD - Buy the Motorola XOOM 32GB Wi-Fi Internet Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
    I haven't heard anything about this tablet

Regardless, my main concern in making this post is that I don't understand the differences in the software. I know that each manufacturer somewhat changes the Android interface to make it unique. Is there ways that I can install different versions of the Android OS on my device? If so, from the extra outputs alone, this Toshiba would be my best bet. But I posted here for insight from people who actually use these devices and have knowledge. So help is greatly appreciated and I'd like to thank everyone in advance. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Androidfonefan

Androidfonefan Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    iPad2 32, Toshiba Thrive 32. Lenovo IdeaPad A1, ICOO D90W
    Well now.. That is the million dollar question.
    I spent a great deal of time looking over 10 inch tablets for my sister.
    We/she considered the Asus Transformer for quite a while, since the Prime has so many problems and Asus seems to be little concerned about properly fixing their improperly designed device.
    She settled on the Toshiba Thrive for various reasons and I ordered one myself. Will have to sell either this tablet or my Kindle Fire to help cover that cost but I think it will be worth it in the end.
    I don't know anything but what I have read and been told about any of these tablets you have listed. But the Thrive seems to be the best of the litter from what I have learned.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Klikster

Klikster Senior Member

This post was definitely helpful, how long until your Thrive arrives? I think I'll be purchasing my tablet within the next day or two.. and probably the 32GB Thrive. Toshiba has a sale on until the end of Feb on their website for accessories as well, spare batteries are only $24!

4. Androidfonefan

Tablet / Device:
    Amazon says it should be in around 3-1-12. But if things go normal it will be here before then, seldome do thing show up on the day they say and even less do they show up later.
    The TT has a full size SD card slot, full size USB slot, full size HDMI port, full size screen and a full size price tag, HA! but I think it will end up being worth it.
    All from the Amazon page I ordered form.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. Androidfonefan

Tablet / Device:
    Well, that bad boy arrived today. And talk about impressive.
    Now I was wondering if there was an app that I can use to sync the two. So that if I open one to a game, and the game will be synced to the same place on one tablet as it is on the other.
    Pipe dream I know but I thought I would ask.
    Now I'm going to play with the new toy. Don't have Tapatalk set up on the Thrive just yet.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

6. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    XOOM & HP Touchpad
  7. Androidfonefan

Tablet / Device:
    Already a member there, and I do look in, but this forum is more interesting.