Looking For Advice on Security Apps for Tablets

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
I have been looking for apps to protect a Nexus 7 tablet from viruses, malware and other assorted "bad stuff" that is detrimental to Android tablets. Many products available have utilities that are more for Android based phones than tablets. Can anyone recommend any apps that are geared more towards protecting tablets without all of the phone "bells and whistles"?

If not, can anyone recommend any of those that protect both phones and tablets, but are sufficient for tablets? Many are rated highly, and it is difficult to make a determination.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bryan

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Lookout Mobile Security works fine on both tablets and phones. It is arguably best of breed.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I haven't come across any that are optimized solely for tablet users. Their main concern is phone security and tablet safety seems to be an afterthought. Lately, I've been using AVG and it seems to be getting the job done, so far.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
If you get your apps from the app store, only apps that have "history" and your device isn't rooted: Is such a thing actually necessary? My wife and I have been using tablets for two years, without issue. Our handhelds came with Lookout, so I've left it.

Jim

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Is such a thing actually necessary?

My philosophy is, "A stitch in time saves nine." Adding protection after you're attacked is adding it too late. Against advice, a friend actually used a Windows PC for years w/o protection. When it was "Kidnapped" and he refused to pay the "Ransom" for a key that would free it, it cost him $300 USD to have it cleaned out. (More than the PC was worth at the time, but he also didn't believe in backup and needed all his stuff back.) If you think Androids are immune, do a forum search for "Malware" and read the hits. Lookout's a good one though, so you should be OK.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I thought the same thing until today.:rolleyes: When I went to the Play Store to get the links for Bryan, I discovered there's

AntiVirus Security - FREE: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus

And FREE Tablet AntiVirus Security: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus.tablet

Spider, you're absolutely right. I completely forgot that there are two versions of AVG. Thanks for reminding me. I checked mine and sure enough it's the one for tablets.

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
AVG FREE Tablet Antivirus Security. GEESH! I​​ don't know how I missed that when I was looking at Google Play.

I will give it a try.

Thank You ALL!!!

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I use Norton's Mobile Security.
But only the free version though, Because all the other crap contained in them are for phones.
And the Device Locate and Data Wipe etc.
I can do through Google.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I will never allow Norton or McAfee anywhere near my devices, a distrust which extends back over a decade. I find neither name to be particularly effective, and both I would consider slow and bloated.

bcseismail

Nov 27, 2013
Nice helpful conversion. Thanks spider for share antivirus. This is helpfull for my tablet.
And thanks all for the discusion.