Looking For Affordable 10" Dual Core Tablet

BLuFeNiX

Sep 5, 2012
Hi everyone!

I've been racking my brain trying to decide which android tablet to get. I've looked at dozens of name-brand and Chinese models but I can't decide.

I'm looking for...
* 10" screen (9.9, 10.1, 10.2, etc are fine)
* dual core processor (unless there is a very good single core option)
* preferably 1GB of RAM or more
* storage space is not that important, as long as it has a micro sd or SD slot.
* less than $300

I also would love if it the tablet was active in the dev community (custom ROMs, tweaks, etc).
Can anyone recommend something? Are there any brands to avoid? I'm a little skeptical about getting a knockoff Chinese tablet.

Thanks!

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Plenty of last-years 10.1" tablets have been on sale lately for ~ $300 or under. Some have been quite a bit less expensive than $300 if you don't mind buying a refurbished tablet.

The Acer A200 can be had for $300 or lower if you want a "newish" model. If you don't mind a year-old model, I've seen the OG Transformer (TF101) for under $300 as well.

A new (VERY new) option is the Lenovo A2109. The screen is only 9" but it fits all of your other criteria (and it sells for $299).
I don't know much about it, but the display model felt good in my hands and was very snappy performance-wise.

As far as RAM goes, only one tablet that I'm aware of comes with more than 1GB - the recently-released Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

Other than the Note 10.1, 1GB is the current standard for literally all of the mainstream tablets sold as of today.

Brands to avoid? That's a tough question. Look through support forums and the general picture is that ALL current tablet models sold - regardless of the brand - have issues of one sort or another.

leo2575

Sep 3, 2012
I am sailing in the same boat.. I have zeroed down to 2 Chinese tablets (Onda Vi40 and Cube U30GT) and both are around $200 +$30(shipping). The reviews are fairly good, do take a look before making the final call.

BLuFeNiX

Sep 5, 2012
I'm having some trouble understanding the differences between the Cortex and Tegra processors. According to Wikipedia, the Tegra 2 is a dual-core Cortex A9. Does this mean that a Tegra 2 has two A9s in it? Or does it mean that an A9 is a dual-core? I also see mention of "single-core mode." Can anyone tell me what I'm reading or point me to a better source of information? I'm having trouble even figuring out which tablets are dual-core :p

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
1. US$377.99 = Lenovo A2109 Nvidia Tegra-3
2. US$349.99 = SmartQ T30 TI-OMAP 4470
3. US$221.99 = Window N101 Rockchip RK3066
4. US$208.99 = Cube U30GT Rockchip RK3066

The Lenovo A2109 sells for $299 here in the US, not $377.

Last edited:

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I'm having some trouble understanding the differences between the Cortex and Tegra processors. According to Wikipedia, the Tegra 2 is a dual-core Cortex A9. Does this mean that a Tegra 2 has two A9s in it? Or does it mean that an A9 is a dual-core? I also see mention of "single-core mode." Can anyone tell me what I'm reading or point me to a better source of information? I'm having trouble even figuring out which tablets are dual-core :p

Tegra 3 tablets have a low-power single core in addition to the main quad core processor. The quad core portion does all the heavy computing tasks (gaming usually) while the 5th low-power core does the normal, mundane tasks like web browsing, reading PDF's, etc.

This allows much improved battery life as you're not using the power-hungry main processor all the time - only when needed.

BLuFeNiX

Sep 5, 2012
I think I'm going to get the Acer Iconia A501-10S16u. I found one for about $250, and there seems to be a fairly large dev community for it. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011

BLuFeNiX

Sep 5, 2012
Ugh. Now I found an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1) for the same price as the A501. I CAN'T DECIDE :confused:

BLuFeNiX

Sep 5, 2012
Ugh. Now I found an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1) for the same price as the A501. I CAN'T DECIDE :confused:

After reading several reviews and watching some comparison videos, I chose the ASUS Transformer. It is lighter, has more storage, and has a better screen. Thanks again guys, hope to see you in other threads =D

mikearnill

Aug 25, 2012
There are many sites available for online shopping any electronics product. I suggest you some site like Amazon, Ebay and yebhi which provide best offers for purchase product. You can get your product for your affordable price as well as many choice for selection.

D

Dawnstar

Hi everyone!

I've been racking my brain trying to decide which android tablet to get. I've looked at dozens of name-brand and Chinese models but I can't decide.

I'm looking for...
* 10" screen (9.9, 10.1, 10.2, etc are fine)
* dual core processor (unless there is a very good single core option)
* preferably 1GB of RAM or more
* storage space is not that important, as long as it has a micro sd or SD slot.
* less than $300

I also would love if it the tablet was active in the dev community (custom ROMs, tweaks, etc).
Can anyone recommend something? Are there any brands to avoid? I'm a little skeptical about getting a knockoff Chinese tablet.

Thanks!

Hello

Yes it can be a mind blowing time on what to get with Tablets the best way is to read this link -(Cube) Its cover most brand name tablets every tablet is different to each other so it hard to compare them all, Not all China tablets are !!Cheap!! only the price, also don't get any no name Chinese tablets most of them are fakes or copies.