Looking for email and a podcasting tool

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Hi, I'm a new member trying to decide whether to get an iPad or an Android tablet. I know tons has been written on the subject and am reading as much as I can.

Two things I know I'll want to do are email and listening to podcasts. On my Windows desktop I use Thunderbird for email. On an Android tablet what do people typically use for email? Is web-based email the most common, or are there real email client apps?

And what do people use for listening to podcasts? On my desktop I use Winamp. Thanks for any help.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join us here at Android Tablets. The Android Tablet Discussions section is the best place to get general information and "shopping" advice. I'm moving your questions over there, so that someone can answer them for you.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Frankly for most email/IMAP, the built in apps do well. I use Kaiten Mail due to the extra whistles and on the tablet Touchdown for Exchange, as I was not able to find how to change ports for sending email to people out of the company.

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks. I'm not sure I understand -- Kaiten Mail and Touchdown are both built-in apps for email on Android tablets?

What is the built-in app for podcasting?

Thanks.

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks. Most of those are not really 'applications' but rather web-based music services, and there's little mention of which are available for Android. I'm curious: does anyone here use Winamp? I know there's an android version of that long-time Windows classic.