Looking for help rooting Coby MID7048

Tesardd

Nov 12, 2012
I have read many posts on here for rooting other devices including the 7042 (as I understand it this is the previous version). I have tried to use the same methods for rooting my device to no avail.

One issue I am having is getting the Coby drivers to work on my PC. My PC will recognize the device as a Coby7048, but cannot find the correct drivers to install. I tried loading the drivers in the sticky post which would not work. I also installed the Android SDK with the Googls USB drivers which didn't work either.

I can put files onto the Coby (using usb mode), and I have looked in the system directories but do not have permission to change system files.

I have also downloaded CobyADB (1.0.29). But I have a few questions on its use, once I can get it to recognize the device, which I have not. Do I use adb install to install adb on the device, or do I use adb root to get root permission before installing the adb files onto the device, or do I push individual files (seems like the long waya round) onto the device?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - I know your looking for dump files, and my device is not entirely as it came from the factory, but once rooted I will provide a dump of what I have if you still want it. At least it would give someone something to recover to.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The 7042 and the 7048 are nothing a like. The 7042 is an allwinner family, the 7048 is an telechips family. You might have better luck in the telechips forums or use Google search for rooting telechips 4.0.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ooh...looks like I have a post to update. Are all the new tablets Coby put out using Telechips, including the new 703X units?

Tesardd

Nov 12, 2012
The 7042 and the 7048 are nothing a like. The 7042 is an allwinner family, the 7048 is an telechips family. You might have better luck in the telechips forums or use Google search for rooting telechips 4.0.

Unfortunately, I believe this is the TCC892x family chipset. And I have not been able to find anything for that chipset. The most recent that I have found was the 8902.
Do you know which chipsets are compatible? Most of the posts I am finding seem to be outdated. The build date on this tablet is Sept 20, 2012.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunately, I believe this is the TCC892x family chipset. And I have not been able to find anything for that chipset. The most recent that I have found was the 8902.
Do you know which chipsets are compatible? Most of the posts I am finding seem to be outdated. The build date on this tablet is Sept 20, 2012.

have you tried rooting instruction below.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/08/01/how-to-root-cx-01-android-mini-pc/

How To Root CX-01 Android mini PC
August 1st, 2012 cnxsoft 33 comments

CX-01 is a cool low cost Android mini PC (as low as $40), but unlike many other Chinese Android device it is not rooted.

Here are the instructions to root it:

Download Unlock Root http://www.unlockroot.com/. NB: The download link does not appear to work right now, but the filename is unlockroot23.exe, so here are some alternative untested download links.
Find Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf in the directory where you install Unlockroot
Open the file in a text editor, and add the following lines:
For Win 7 (64-bit):
[Google.NTamd64] 64-bit]
;TCC8920
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
For WinXP (32-bit):
[Google.NTx86]
;TCC8920
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
Connect CX-01 to your PC via USB, it should then detect your new device. If it doesn’t simply press “fn” key on CX-01 TV Stick.
Select the driver that you edited in Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf
Once the driver is installed, run unlockroot
Press ROOT, then reroot device.
Reboot CX-01 mini PC
Done!

Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/telechips/#ixzz2C3oQKnT5

Tesardd

Nov 12, 2012
Yes, actually I have tried the instructions listed with success. I now have root access to my tablet. THANKS !!!!

Lilydog23

Nov 18, 2012
Hey guys pleae help I want the play store on my coby kyros 7048 but need to be talk through it like a preschooler step by step please I want this on here so bad and have tried everything thank you

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
That "pre-installer" they make available at the original site puts so much crapware on a computer that I find it offensive. The alternative links posted in the article are highly recommended.

I took the unlockroot23.exe apart to get the rooting tool out of it, works just like zergrush.

I am putting together a root package using the tool, need testers but should work on the telechips version 7034, 7036, 7048, 8048

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
When it's confirmed working, let me know so I can add it to the Development Index sticky.

OldTree

Nov 23, 2012
I took the unlockroot23.exe apart to get the rooting tool out of it, works just like zergrush.

I am putting together a root package using the tool, need testers but should work on the telechips version 7034, 7036, 7048, 8048

Do you need testers that know what they are doing or just with a willingness to try something out? I have an 8048 that I would like to root and am a willing guinea pig. I can follow directions.

Augie

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There is a root tool I linked in the READ FIRST - Development Index and Root Utility thread for your tablet that you can try.

TXDROID

Nov 23, 2012
I just bought my daughter a 8048 for Christmas ;). I would love to help and try it out as well. I am working the current instructions right now trying to get everything together. Thanks TX

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
As already mentioned, there is a root tool for the 8048 that needs to be tested. You'll find a link to it in the READ FIRST - Development Index and Root Utility sticky post. Do not confuse it with my root utility in the same thread though.

Just make sure you have your ADB drivers installed, which are also linked in that sticky post.