Looking for Help Rooting Coby MID9740

neumanb

Nov 20, 2012
I just recently bought the new 9740-8 and would like to root it to gain access to the play store and other Google apps. I have not been successful in finding instructions or ROM's for this specific model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I just recently bought the new 9740-8 and would like to root it to gain access to the play store and other Google apps. I have not been successful in finding instructions or ROM's for this specific model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This version of Coby is in high demand, once you root this tablet make a dump and upload it, if you don't, you will be sorry so many users simply wont make a backup and upload it, then when trouble happens it's extremely hard repairing their tablet.

The root method for any of the coby's 8042, 7042, 9042, 9742, 1042, will work on this tablet. you need to get adb installed and working first, then follow instruction on dumping your tablet upload your dump and let one of the advanced members look it over and insure you have all 4 parts of the backup, the system being the most important, before you modify your tablet.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012

Take your time...

Are you a windows, mac, linux user?

Have you ever used adb before?

If you use windows use this from Traveller CobyADB.zip

Follow this thread, read it and read it three or four more times http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html
Rooting and Dump Utility for Windows (updated 11/21/12):
Traveller1701 just updated the dump utility to replace busybox so that you can get a system.tgz dump (This was missing from my dump and I need it badly....)

This thread tells you what files you should have in your dump http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ment/49945-busybox-do-you-have-right-one.html

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
Hi!

I recently got a Coby 9740 and I followed the threads above to root it (thanks jmblouin, vampirefo and traveller for the great help!).

Using ADB (Win 7) I also create a system dump, apparently successfully. The dump, including the system.tgz, can be found here:
Coby 9740 Dump.zip

(I had installed a couple of apps --opera, games-, so it may no be completely stock. Sorry about that)

I did run into a problem though: I don't seem to be able to have root access from adb. when I try, for instance, to
mount -o remount,rw /system
I get
mount: permission denied <are you root?>

I am now interested in installing Gapps. should I worry about the root issue first?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi!

I recently got a Coby 9740 and I followed the threads above to root it (thanks jmblouin, vampirefo and traveller for the great help!).

Using ADB (Win 7) I also create a system dump, apparently successfully. The dump, including the system.tgz, can be found here:
Coby 9740 Dump.zip

(I had installed a couple of apps --opera, games-, so it may no be completely stock. Sorry about that)

I did run into a problem though: I don't seem to be able to have root access from adb. when I try, for instance, to
I get

I am now interested in installing Gapps. should I worry about the root issue first?

adb shell
su

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi!

Coby 9740 Dump.zip

I get

Can you recheck your system.tgz it's corrupt.

if you can

adb shell

su

busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/9740_system.tgz /system

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
Hi!

Coby 9740 Dump.zip

I get

The system was currupt for me as well. Diegom can you try reading the system.tgz with either winrar or 7zip prior to upload to see if the file is currupted before you uploaded it?

Also follow what vampirefo. said.

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
Can you recheck your system.tgz it's corrupt.

if you can

adb shell

su

busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/9740_system.tgz /system

I did as suggested

after a long string of files, the command ended in
tar: error exit delayed from previous errors

the last line before that was
system/xbin/su

I have no problem opening the system.tgz with winrar.
In any case, I uploaded it again, on its own. this is the link
system.tgz

Guys, would you direct me to a thread with fool-proof guidance on how to isntal Gapps, preferably without installing a custom ROM? I keep getting lost in the forum. Thanks!

let me know if there's any info from my tablet that me useful.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
I did as suggested

after a long string of files, the command ended in
tar: error exit delayed from previous errors

the last line before that was
system/xbin/su

I have no problem opening the system.tgz with winrar.
In any case, I uploaded it again, on its own. this is the link
system.tgz

Guys, would you direct me to a thread with fool-proof guidance on how to isntal Gapps, preferably without installing a custom ROM? I keep getting lost in the forum. Thanks!

let me know if there's any info from my tablet that me useful.
I am afraid that your system.tgz is currupt. When I attempted to recover it all I can get is the system/app folder. All the apk and odex files seem to be in tact in there. For comparison reasons download this and compare that system.tgz to your own (DO NOT USE THIS FILE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO COMPARE YOUR FILES WITH).
MID9742 Dump v3.rar
Lets make sure we get this resolved before we install anything (cwm-recovery which you should not install until we get a version meant for our tablets I'm using cwm-for 9742 but it will not boot to recovery using the 2 fingure method only using adb shell, su, reboot-recovery, gapps). Believe me you will be happy you waited.

In adb click on the top left small icon of cmd and go under edit and click mark. than drag your mouse over all the data there. Once you have all your data selected (should be white) right click your mouse and than go the forum and post a reply of all that data here by right clicking paste. Than we can see everything you can.

edit: For some reason superuser.apk must not of pushed when rooting (at least I dont see it when I look over your faulty dump). When you look under applications on your tablet do you see an app called superuser?

In adb after adb shell you get root access by typing su (kind of like logging into an administrative account in windows versus a guest.)

Last edited:

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
I am afraid that your system.tgz is currupt. When I attempted to recover it all I can get is the system/app folder. All the apk and odex files seem to be in tact in there. For comparison reasons download this and compare that system.tgz to your own (DO NOT USE THIS FILE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO COMPARE YOUR FILES WITH).
MID9742 Dump v3.rar
Lets make sure we get this resolved before we install anything (cwm-recovery which you should not install until we get a version meant for our tablets I'm using cwm-for 9742 but it will not boot to recovery using the 2 fingure method only using adb shell, su, reboot-recovery, gapps). Believe me you will be happy you waited.

In adb click on the top left small icon of cmd and go under edit and click mark. than drag your mouse over all the data there. Once you have all your data selected (should be white) right click your mouse and than go the forum and post a reply of all that data here by right clicking paste. Than we can see everything you can.

edit: For some reason superuser.apk must not of pushed when rooting (at least I dont see it when I look over your faulty dump). When you look under applications on your tablet do you see an app called superuser?

In adb after adb shell you get root access by typing su (kind of like logging into an administrative account in windows versus a guest.)

Thanks jmblouin.

I downloaded your dump, and indeed things were very different than on my own, which only had app folder under system and nothing else. I have now created another system dump which does contain all the bin, etc, .... folders. you may find it here (please use this entire dump and do not mix the img files with the previous one, since in the meantime I did a factory reset to the tablet, so things may be a bit different between the two)
9740_dump.rar

Yes, I did have an superuser application. and the strange thing is that also even after my factory reset I still get a superuser app straight away (!!). Is it possible?

let me know if this dump contains all the information you need. If not, I will try copying and pasting all the info I can get from adb (please be specfic about what info you need).

I'll wait for your answer before trying anything else.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
This dump seems fine, My Linux found no corruption in the tar.

What would it take to use this dump as a reference to get cwm-recovery fully working for 9740-8 devices?

Thanks jmblouin.

I downloaded your dump, and indeed things were very different than on my own, which only had app folder under system and nothing else. I have now created another system dump which does contain all the bin, etc, .... folders. you may find it here (please use this entire dump and do not mix the img files with the previous one, since in the meantime I did a factory reset to the tablet, so things may be a bit different between the two)
9740_dump.rar

Yes, I did have an superuser application. and the strange thing is that also even after my factory reset I still get a superuser app straight away (!!). Is it possible?

let me know if this dump contains all the information you need. If not, I will try copying and pasting all the info I can get from adb (please be specfic about what info you need).

I'll wait for your answer before trying anything else.

If we get a version of cwm-recovery for our devices than you can make a nandroid backup, flash gapps to your device and I can try making a build.prop based off of your dump and travellers tweaks. This is in my opinion easier. Otherwise we could manually push gapps with adb. I am not familiar on how to do it this way so you would need assistant from vampirefo. for this one.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What would it take to use this dump as a reference to get cwm-recovery fully working for 9740-8 devices?

If we get a version of cwm-recovery for our devices than you can make a nandroid backup, flash gapps to your device and I can try making a build.prop based off of your dump and travellers tweaks. This is in my opinion easier. Otherwise we could manually push gapps with adb. I am not familiar on how to do it this way so you would need assistant from vampirefo. for this one.

My guess the recovery is the same as 8042 and 9742. I see no difference in the dump.

What problems are you having with the 9742 recovery?

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
My guess the recovery is the same as 8042 and 9742. I see no difference in the dump.

I cannot access the internal sdcard with this version or boot into recovery with the physical buttons.

The devices might be setup like a 7042 and 9042. I guess I could try to the recovery from 9042 and see if it works.

Last edited: