Looking for Help Rooting Coby MID9740

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
Just restore your backup, I am not home yet to check file.

it said

.android_secure.img not found. Skipping restore of /sdcard/.android_secure.

and home button is still dead...

i am getting a bit nervous about this thing.

Earlier, when I had to install the zip file, i did a factory reset from the settings menu (I got confused) before doing it from cw recovery. Can that have deleted the clockworkmod folder from sdcard??

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
download check checksum, place on sdcard

boot to cw recovery factory reset install.

Coby_9740_root_gapps.zip

you should not use factory reset from tablet if you have cw recovery install, that can cause problems

this time do factory reset from cw recovery then install

Coby_9740_root_gapps.zip

this may be stupid: where do I find the checksum?

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
download check checksum, place on sdcard

boot to cw recovery factory reset install.

Coby_9740_root_gapps.zip

you should not use factory reset from tablet if you have cw recovery install, that can cause problems

this time do factory reset from cw recovery then install

Coby_9740_root_gapps.zip

Vampirefo, it worked beautifully!!! it's running nicely with google play and alll... Thanks a lot for your great help!

davidwillis

Dec 21, 2012
I would really like to get the play store on my new copy kyros, But could someone please give step by step instructions, incuding how to get a backup, in case I mess something up first? I am new to tablets, so I don't know much, so I need all the details, not just backup your tablet, download file, install...

If someone could please post details I would be very appritiative.

Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Detailed instructions are provided in the sticky posts at the top of Generation 3 Development.

davidwillis

Dec 21, 2012
Thanks, but I can't get the root utillity to work. It stops when it says it it pushing root files. I have tried in windows xp, and windows 7. Are there any instructions on how to do it in linux?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Are you running the command prompt as an admin?

There are Linux instructions all over the Development forum. Just search for Vampirefo's posts.

davidwillis

Dec 21, 2012
I was not running the command as admin. That may have been the problem. However I gave up and returned the tablet, and am going to get one that comes with the play store.

Thanks!!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I was not running the command as admin. That may have been the problem. However I gave up and returned the tablet, and am going to get one that comes with the play store.

Thanks!!

Had you told me you were able to use Linux, I could have helped you, The thread I replied to you in you were using windows.

holdemcowboy

Dec 30, 2012
I have a few questions i have read this post many times however im still unsure of what file contains the CWM download. My tablet has been rooted i have Adb but other than that im lost any help would be appreciated.

Feb 2, 2013
quick question.......9740 users can download ClockworkMod from this post........where exactly is the download link? im a noob when it comes to forums and discussions but i am familiar with rooting. i dont want to download the wrong version of clockworkmod for my device. kyros mid9740...any info would be helpful.

Feb 2, 2013
i followed the instruction on how to root the kyros mid9740-8...everything thing went as planned but after it installed clockworkmod the tablet reset and now its stuck on the COBY screen. i have tried everything to reset it or run the recovery and nothing seems to work. any info would be appreciated.