Looking for Help Rooting Coby MID9740

riponfats

Mar 2, 2013
Thanks everyone for all the info on how to root and get cwm working. Everything went smooth. My p.o.s. Coby 9740 may turn out to be useful afterall.

newandroid

Mar 12, 2013

Looking for help please. I have two Coby MID9740-8s. Wanted to get Google Play on them and by following this thread and its links, even a novice like me was able to root and installed Google Play. You guys have posted great instructions and resources. I installed vampirefo’s 9740_v6.0.1.1_recovery.zip and got access to Google Play. Here’s the issue. After the install, my 9740 seem to run a lot slower and the home screen has a slight glitch. Has anyone experienced this issue? I also get a lot of “application has stopped running, do you want to wait?” messages. After waiting a few second, the apps usually come back. Is there a way to install Google Play on the 9740 without rooting? Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're getting a lot of "application has stopped running" messages, then /system/app is too full. Remove some of the unused system apps such as the email client, if you don't use it, to free up space. Ideally, you want to have about 15MB space left in /system/app after you're done.

There is no way to get the Google apps on the tablet without rooting, as the Google apps files are installed to /system/app and /system/framework; areas a user who isn't rooted does not have access to.

newandroid

Mar 12, 2013
If you're getting a lot of "application has stopped running" messages, then /system/app is too full. Remove some of the unused system apps such as the email client, if you don't use it, to free up space. Ideally, you want to have about 15MB space left in /system/app after you're done.

There is no way to get the Google apps on the tablet without rooting, as the Google apps files are installed to /system/app and /system/framework; areas a user who isn't rooted does not have access to.

Thanks. that seems to have worked. Can i delete the .apk files? if they are like "setup files," then once i install them, i no longer need them correct? I deleted the stock browser app but cant seem to get rid of the Browes.odex file. Thanks again.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Back them and the .odex files up to the MicroSD. You should be able to easily move both. In fact, most of the space gains come from moving the .odex files, since the code for the apps are located within them.

kimbunny

Apr 20, 2013
Hi, I just bought the coby mid9740 we are all talking about, and I cant seem to get these to work. Ive got the tablet rooted, i have booted it into CWM and then I select Coby_9740_root_gapps.zip from my sd card and it says it cant verify the file...

I have also downloaded and installed
the 20120429 Google Apps package at Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps but it doesnt put the android market in my drawer.

Ive never had so many problems getting the android market on a tablet, or phone before.

Rooted Droid X2
Rooted Droid Razr
Rooted Pipo Smart S1
Rooted Coby Mid9740
Jail broken Iphone 4

kimbunny

Apr 20, 2013
Im using the Coby Gen 3- Root utility, if that makes a difference? It doesnt give me the option to NOT have coby verify...

EDIT----

I use the utility, Use c to go into recovery, then CWM to flash clockworkmod, then it installs it, boots into recovery mode.

reboot system now
apply update from external storage <-----i choose
wipe data/factory reset
wipe data cache partition
apply update from cache

-- Install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:Signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Then I reboot.

Last edited:

kimbunny

Apr 20, 2013
I got it working, installed the Coby 9740 root Gapps zip but now my wifi wont turn on... I didnt know there was a problem with the wifi on this rom...

Could you help me out?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I got it working, installed the Coby 9740 root Gapps zip but now my wifi wont turn on... I didnt know there was a problem with the wifi on this rom...

Could you help me out?

Restore your backup or dump, your 9740 must be different than the one used to build this rom, also upload your dump so we can see what is different.

kimbunny

Apr 20, 2013
In my dump, I use the recovery.img right? In my folder I have recovery.img, boot.img and bootloader.img and system.tgz

Or do I zip them all in one?

And is it system.tgz that you want to see?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
In my dump, I use the recovery.img right? In my folder I have recovery.img, boot.img and bootloader.img and system.tgz

Or do I zip them all in one?

And is it system.tgz that you want to see?
I need all 4, zip them all together and upload them.