Looking for other G Slate users....

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Hello!

I just got the G Slate through my phone carrier, T-mobile, and I've got 20 days to decide if I'm going to keep it.

Any other new G Slate users out there who are willing to banter with a non-tech-y person about things like:

- what is up with no SMS?
- how to utilize Google Voice texting for SMS instead?
- no Netflix, no Hulu, no really???
- ideas about a "scribe" type program/pen availability?

This is only day 1 of ownership, so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and topics I'd like to discuss with another G Slate user.

Anyone out there?

Anyone?

Bueller?

;)

Last edited:

ShowtimeNupe

Apr 26, 2011
I am so glad that you posted this thread. I also have the G-Slate through T-Mobile. I just received the tablet in the mail yesterday, and I must admit that I am quite disappointed, and am beginning to regreat my decision not to wait for the 4G version of the Blackberry Playbook or the Sony S1 or Sony S2 Android Tablet..

I cannot believe that there is no SMS available. I called T-Mobile Tech Support and spoke to a very unhelpful representative who clearly did not know what he was talking about, and pretty much brushed me off of the phone. He also didn't know how to fix the problem of my touch screen not working on my HTC Touch Pro 2, and told me that I just needed to "update my software." I did do a Google search, and found the answer on how to make my touch screen work again on my phone.

My main frustration with this tablet is that I cannot get the QIK Video Chat to work on the LG G-Slate. THe program crashes each time I open it up. The unhelpful T-Mobile Tech Support Rep told me to "clear data," and it would star working. That also was not the case. Has anyone had success video chatting with QIK on this device?

I also do not know how to utilize Google Voice for SMS typing.

I would like to know if Blockbuster Video or Netflix is available on this device.

I look forward to other posts.

Hello!

I just got the G Slate through my phone carrier, T-mobile, and I've got 20 days to decide if I'm going to keep it.

Any other new G Slate users out there who are willing to banter with a non-tech-y person about things like:

- what is up with no SMS?
- how to utilize Google Voice texting for SMS instead?
- no Netflix, no Hulu, no really???
- ideas about a "scribe" type program/pen availability?

This is only day 1 of ownership, so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and topics I'd like to discuss with another G Slate user.

Anyone out there?

Anyone?

Bueller?

;)

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
I am so glad that you posted this thread. I also have the G-Slate through T-Mobile. I just received the tablet in the mail yesterday, and I must admit that I am quite disappointed, and am beginning to regreat my decision not to wait for the 4G version of the Blackberry Playbook or the Sony S1 or Sony S2 Android Tablet..

I am delighted to meet another user because frankly, I am a little anxious about the deafening silence around G Slate right now. I feel a bit crazy when I try to look up information and am not finding much discussion from users or propaganda from developers. I am not super tech-savvy, and don't need the device to sing and dance, but I also don't want to be left holding an obsolete device in 6 months when little to no updates are provided.

I did, however, find this review the most detailed and helpful so far: http://www.digitalninjastl.com/blog/2011/04/19/t-mobile-g-slate-review/

My main frustration with this tablet is that I cannot get the QIK Video Chat to work on the LG G-Slate.

So far, I have only used video chat via Google Talk which worked great - except that it doesn't look like it can be used outside of wi-fi. Is that normal?

I also do not know how to utilize Google Voice for SMS typing.

On another forum, someone responded to my SMS query with:

"Google has said they are working on making Google Voice available for 3.0 devices on their blog. I imagine they are updating the UI and maybe bringing some new features."

Which leads me to believe that people who say that they are using Voice for SMS are really using Talk and Google chatting.

I tried to dig around various Google blogs (there are billions of them btw :p ) but couldn't find anything specific.

I would like to know if Blockbuster Video or Netflix is available on this device.

So far, everything I have read online indicates that nothing is in the works for Netflix any time soon - which is just so absurd. Maybe when AT&T buys T-mobile?

I am mainly looking to use my G Slate for work - to reduce paper, clutter and increase access to my work stuffs on the go. I really like being able to type my notes in a meeting instead of paper. For that, I'm utilizing Springpad Springpad: a free app that helps you remember and am enjoying it so far. I was hoping to hear from LG or Tmobile or Android that a capacitive pen and writing program like HTC's Evo Scribe technology was in the works.....but again all I'm hearing right now are the tumbleweeds across my screen. ;)

17 days left to decide.

Cheers!

- Bete

Last edited:

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
I figured out the SMS!!

Helpful page: How can I enable texting? - Google Voice Help

You need a Google Voice number!

:D

ETA: What is nice is that the GSlate SMS messages also come through on my phone via the Voice app. Now, if they would just make the Voice app for 3.0 as mentioned above - we wouldn't have to rely on browser-based Voice access. :/

Last edited:

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Ok - more:

Sync SMS: apps.dolphinking-software.com - you need to download it to both your G Slate and your phone - along with Dropbox for both.

In other news, I'm enjoying my G Slate so far and am leaning towards keeping it. I use it alot for work by utilizing Springpad: a free app that helps you remember which allows me to take notes at meetings and access them from my desk computer and vice versa. Really nice.

I'm most "ugh" about no video streaming and the most anxious about what still seems like a whole lot of silence around this device.

:/

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Yay! Talking to myself!

But, I carry on just in case someone else stumbles onto this thread.....

Video streaming updates:

- I am currently using a trial PlayOn account which allows me to connect my G Slate with my PC to access Netflix, Hulu, etc through my home wifi. There is the option to configure your router so you can go "mobile" but I am not clever enough to figure it out (yet?)

- If you have Amazon Prime you can stream movies and TV for free from there.

:D

- Bete

bdubble

Apr 27, 2011
I bought the acer iconia a500 honeycomb tablet first. It blew chunks. Honeycomb was super buggy on it. Thought it was honeycomb itself. So i took it back. Then the gslate caught my attention with its 3d capabilities. I got it and f#*kng love it. It was not honeycomb. It was the iconia. Lets start with what gslate does not have. Fullsize usb port? NO. Hardware rotation lock? NO. Sdcard expansion? NO. Properly located front facing camera? NO. More than 64 made for tablets apps in the market? NO. What does it have? The sweetspot 8.9 inch screen size? YES. 32GB internal storage? YES. 1080P mirroring? YES. 3fu#$ingD 720P video recording that can be mirrored in 3d to your regular old hdtv? YES. Non-slip back material? YES. All in all i love it, but the 64 total market apps takes away alittle of that warm fuzzy feeling. I am holding out on more apps, and a tripod compatible case or something for shooting 3d and video, and pics on the timer. Hope you keep it. Oh yeah the qik app has horrible resolution.

Sent from my LG-V909 using Android Tablet Forum

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Hi bdubble,

Thanks for the reply and info. Other than loving my Android phones for years (G2 now), I'm not very familiar with all this. It seems so quiet around the G Slate - still.

I do like it, though, and I am eager to learn more.

Cheers,

Bete

bdubble

Apr 27, 2011
Hey showtimenupe
I am qikin it no problem no crashes. Uninstall and then reinstall and clear data before deleting. But the video quality is poor on 3 or 4 g.

Sent from my LG-V909 using Android Tablet Forum

May 6, 2011
Hi Guys. I have the G-Slate too. Well, in Japan, it's called the Optimus Pad. I like it. It does largely what I need it to. I would love it, but I am disappointed by the lack of application support for Honeycomb at this current time.

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Hi Guys. I have the G-Slate too. Well, in Japan, it's called the Optimus Pad. I like it. It does largely what I need it to. I would love it, but I am disappointed by the lack of application support for Honeycomb at this current time.

Hi haafunimienaikedo!

I've been asking around on several forums about the lack of promotion/support and have gotten several responses like this one:

"LG is betting big on android and G-slate and g2x are their flagship mobile products. They already have an upgrade soon for G2x just after 3 weeks of release. I see the commitment from LG. So Dont worry
If you look at they way androis evolved, we see a similar pattern with honeycomb. Google is more commited to get whateve rthe user needs more than any other software company on mobile platform. They have a big stake on andorid and I see no relenting on their part to enhance honeycomb. Its clear that honeycomb is THE tablet to have for future."

Cheers!

- Bete

vina88

May 18, 2011
Hi bete, nice to meet you man. How your G-slate now. Im a new guy for use tablet. G-sate is my frist tablet, and i dont know anything about tablet hic hiv T_T. If u know something. Can u help me. Oh, i want ask u. G-slate rooted already or no?. Thank bete

vina88

May 18, 2011
Hi Bete, what the accessory do u have, im looking for case and glass cover, but i dont know where buy those?, can u help me. Thank bete so much

Bete Noire

Apr 26, 2011
Hi Vina88!

Yes, the G-Slate has been rooted. You can find detailed information about how here. People have been finding accessories like cases and screen protectors over at Amazon.com.

:)

Cheers!

- Bete