Looking for some advice

dr0832

Nov 5, 2011
I am looking for a 10" tablet for watching xvid and mkv media files, reading large pdf files, browsing the internet, and that's about it. I would like at least a 6 hour battery, and something that's not real thick and heavy. The other things that I need are at least 1 USB 2.0 slot that would allow me to plug in a SDHC reader, and / or an SDHC or SDHC micro slot that would allow a 32 gb card. I also want something with a responsive touch screen and not something thatgonna make it difficult for a guy with sausage fingers to press the on screen keypad. I know the Samsung Galaxy looks similar to what I need but the fact that it doesn't have USB or and SD card slot is a deal breaker for me. I am not looking to spend more than $300, and the tablet does not have to be a U.S. brand, I just need to be able to receive it before the 17th of november. If anyone has any suggestions for me I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Bob

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The problem is not insurmountable. You can do almost all the things with the Archos 101 and Arnova 10. There are issues which might put you off. But at $250, You can get the Archos 101/16 right now off the shelf at K-Mart and Sears. Then use Acrobat for the PDF reading. I can view MKVs and large as in 50Mb PDFs. Althought the 400 pages take a bit to load
It has a USB Micro-B and a Micro-SDHC slot and a Mini-HDMI and limited Multi-Touch. The Arnova is less expensive and Resistive touch and less storage. I can still get 6 hours Audio and 4 hours video 1 year on.
But, it is almost too light. It is slightly dim on brightness and needs a protective cover to prevent flexion. The biggest thing I would say is a limitations is Processor and Android version. If you do not mind a processor which is only a single core 1Mhz and using 2.2.1 you will be fine. Some have had problems with WLAN sensitivity, but I have not.
I have been using mine as a daily use since Nov 2010 and still like it. But I had to manually install Market, do the "market fix" and a few other things. I will say up front it has things I wish other tablets had, ie Balance and audio equalizer built in.

There are others out there, but this is actually a good fit potentially.