Looking to buy a new tablet. Suggestions?

PeterC57

May 8, 2012
Hi All,

Ok, after having played extensively with the Kindle Fire over the weekend I'm now convinced I can really use a tablet. But not the Kindle - want a bigger screen. So far I've narrowed it down to:

o Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
o Asus Eee Transformer 16GB
o Toshiba Excite 10

They're all $450 or less, all have an SD Card slot and all are 1280x800. I like the idea of getting a dock someday so the Asus gets marks for that but the word is that the Samsung is better built and has less problems with ICS. Hadn't thought about a Toshiba at all but just ran across a fairly favorable review (but then a PC Mag review sort of trashed it) so just included it for comparisons sake.

I would like to keep the price at $400 or less (not including the SD card when/if I get one) so I guess this qualifies as an 'entry level' purchase. Don't need 3G and I guess Gorilla Glass would be nice but I don't expect this to get the same sort of abuse my phone gets so not a big priority I suppose.

Any thoughts on the above or other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Peter.​

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
Just a quick note, the Asus is an older model than the other 2 tablets.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Peter,

Out of those shortlisted I would go with the Samsung. However if you would like to save a little money and get the same functionality (having in mind that you don't need 3G) I suggest that you have a look at Zenithink C91.

PeterC57

May 8, 2012
Hi,

Ok, the Asus TF300 seems to be more recent, comes with 32gb, has just about everything the new Samsung has (except for the IF remote control stuff) and is the same price on Amazon. Would there be any display quality differences ?

The Zenithink seems interesting but a little lower on the food chain - I think I'll spend the extra $200 or so and get something faster, etc.

Thanks,

Peter.

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
get the asus transformer 300 its a brand new model it has 32 gig for 399 and ddr3 memroy.
i own a 300 and its awesome

PeterC57

May 8, 2012
Hi All,

Just ordered the Asus Transformer 300TF. It was a close race but I think this one will do for a while.

Thanks for all the help,

Peter.