Looking to Purchase

Seminole81

Nov 23, 2010
Hello everyone.

My fiancee and I have recently started looking into purchasing a tablet of some sort as we both love having the latest technology, as most probably do. She runs a iPhone, and I run a Xperia X10 (which is on Android 2.1).

We like the iPad's by Apple because I run on a Mac for my working with graphics. I think we will probably end up getting one to be honest eventually, but the price tag is a bit steep for us.

Of course being located in the UK (I moved from the US over for her) we get some things a bit slower than the US does. We recently came across the Samsung Galaxy, which is sweet I might add, but again the price is quite steep.

We have looked into a few, but haven't really been able to come to a choice because of a few reasons, the main being not knowing enough about the brand.

What are some recommendations for some tablets? We'd like least the following specs:

Under $300 price range
Webcam (for video conferencing via Skype or similar programs, or one that would support a USB webcam)
Android 2.____ (at least want Froyo)
GPS (Google Navigation will work fine)
Flash 10.1
Gravity Accelerometer
Android Market
Pinch and Zoom
7" TouchScreen (for portability, we travel a lot and want something small, easy, and convient. We could go up to a 9")
Phone/3G availability
HDMI Out

We have seen a few out there, but either they don't have the webcam, are operating on Android 1.6 (Donut), larger than a 7" screen, or way over the $300 mark.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Steve

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure on the size to be honest. The iPad's are 9.7" and the Galaxy (which we've played with is 7"). We're not sure wether to go for a 10.2" or a 7" or 8" or what. We liked the idea of the 7" for portability, but the iPad being 9.7" isn't THAT massive. I guess it comes down to which fits our criteria the best.

Last edited:

Insomnia

Nov 23, 2010
Based mostly upon your price range, I would go with the Archos 101. Probably the biggest bang for your buck you'll get. Right now tablet computing is in a transitional stage. Especially with the Android tablets. The Android OS is so scattered with ROMs it's crazy right now. If you buy a windows tablet, you know what to expect. Tablet spedifications, windows operating system. Same thing with ipad. Android is a completely different story. You've got tablets running versions from 1.5 to 2.3 and all the versions in between. Then you have to consider the revisions the maker made to the original android os to make it work on thier tablet, as Android was never made for tablets to begin with. If you must purchase a tablet now, get one that you can either afford to ditch in 6 months, or a manufacturer you can trust to provide the necessary updates to keep it relevant. I suspect by the second quarter of next year there should be some symmetry.

Seminole81

Nov 23, 2010
Based mostly upon your price range, I would go with the Archos 101. Probably the biggest bang for your buck you'll get. Right now tablet computing is in a transitional stage. Especially with the Android tablets. The Android OS is so scattered with ROMs it's crazy right now. If you buy a windows tablet, you know what to expect. Tablet spedifications, windows operating system. Same thing with ipad. Android is a completely different story. You've got tablets running versions from 1.5 to 2.3 and all the versions in between. Then you have to consider the revisions the maker made to the original android os to make it work on thier tablet, as Android was never made for tablets to begin with. If you must purchase a tablet now, get one that you can either afford to ditch in 6 months, or a manufacturer you can trust to provide the necessary updates to keep it relevant. I suspect by the second quarter of next year there should be some symmetry.

Thanks for the advice. Yea, I took a quick look at the Archos line. I like the 101, but what about the 70? Are they the comparable but in the 7" screen? I've read that the old Archos (such as the Archos 7) have had Market issues with them, and they are not Android Market (we really love Angry Birds haha). Can anyone confirm?

Anyone else?

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Keep in mind the Archos two digit models are the next gen and all run the latest (or compatible) version of Android. The older single digit (5, 7, 8) are an earlier generation and were built to run on Cupcake (1.5) or at best Donut 1.6 Android. There is a community build of a Froyo for 5 and 7 but it should not be considered a stable option

Bottom Line, the 70 is a good model and you would be fine. It is simple an issue/difference of screen real estate. Otherwise the 101 and 70 are the same.

Seminole81

Nov 23, 2010
Keep in mind the Archos two digit models are the next gen and all run the latest (or compatible) version of Android. The older single digit (5, 7, 8) are an earlier generation and were built to run on Cupcake (1.5) or at best Donut 1.6 Android. There is a community build of a Froyo for 5 and 7 but it should not be considered a stable option

Bottom Line, the 70 is a good model and you would be fine. It is simple an issue/difference of screen real estate. Otherwise the 101 and 70 are the same.

Fantastic. Now just to choose haha. We might just get two of them for the price. Probably going to grab the 70. Crazy difference between prices in the UK and the US. £230 in the UK and $275 in the States. £230 is roughly $360.

So the both run on Android 2.2 Froyo. Do they have the Android Market as well? I have seen a few video reviews, but none of the ones I watched showed the actual Android Market. I don't think it is "Android Market" such as on my phone.

Also does anyone on here own either the Archos 101 or 70? What's your take on them? Have you tried video conferencing with them?

Also, does anyone know if these can have expandable storage? Is there a point to spending $50.00 more to get 250gb instead of 8gb? The 8gb has Flash and the 250gb doesn't? Or are they the same except for the hard drive size?

Thanks for all the help guys. Anymore help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, Easy answers first.
1. Market is rarely legally installed on Tablets. Most vendors like Archos have their substitute. But Market may be applied successfully. The reason is the license fee, and compatibility. The tablet must meet certain standards and pay a license fee for a legal copy. That is why many ppl have Market visible but does not work.
2. A filled MicroSD or Standard SD slot is essential. I use either 8Gb or 16 Gb. This is more than enough right now. But, the Apps2SD app does not work for everyone. Thus you have to install apps on the internal storage.
3. The 250 Gb is more designed for those who want their 70 be a PMP (Personal Media Player). For apps, total storage of 16-32 is adequate. It is the vids and MP3 which will fill up that 250 Gb otherwise
4. The TCC8902 chip (your Link for $169. is NOT the same as what is found in the Archos. This will limit compatibility long term. Note it is also 2.1 (Eclair) and not 2.2 The shipping will also make it closer to $200/unit. And this unit will be shipped from China. This is not Bad, but is a delay. You cannot compare the Archos to this tablet. It is like comparing a Honda Civic to a baseline Acura. Yes, Both are made by Honda, but there is a difference in quality and capability.