Low end tablets?

immlkids

Jan 3, 2012
I am used to my Droid 2...its ease of use, speed, etc. but am selling it because of data plan I did not use much. I'm ready to move to tablet. What I basically want is a bigger Droid 2. I would like to read books (kindle), use internet, download apps (android marketplace), and do some occasional music listening, movie watching.
I have studied like a geek and am overwhelmed by the amount of tablets out there. While I am very impressed by several I want to reduce up front cost.
Here is my question:
If I buy a LOW END BRAND with:
high rez screen
fast processor
expandable memory....
WILL IT FUNCTION AS A HIGH END MACHINE IF I ROOT IT?

Please don't get too techy with your answer I'm a rookie.
I have considered Coby, viewsonic, lenova, nook tablet, kindle fire
Thanks so much!
Kevin

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I really am convinced that the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are the best out there right now for the cost to performance ratio. The Fire is an excellent tablet, with a great community, but if you are dead set on expandable storage, then the Nook is definitely the one for you. Good luck and happy new year!:)

immlkids

Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for advice. After spending a while on this site... I feel foolish for not considering brands like zenithink or ainol. I didn't know they existed. Then......after spending sufficient time studying sites that sell them I'm sceptical. Should I be? China grabber? Gadget Greats?

G37

Jan 3, 2012
I'd be careful for those chinese brands we don't often hear of. I say this because they just take hardware and slap software on it and call it a finished product. Part of the problem with the Android OS is that its not always compatible with the hardware and you're more prone to failure as more advanced apps come out that don't correspond nicely to the hardware you're using.

We wonder why Asus, Sony, Acer, Samsung, etc... take the time to customize their own android OS. One of the answers is that they ensure that the products they use in the device work with the OS implemented. Rooting and putting stock android is something people do often, but for stability purposes, they'd tell you its probably not recommended.

I seriously agree with the TheDroid13 in that Amazon's Kindle Fire or B&N's Nook Tablet offer some low-end prices with great screens and more content to boot. They customize the android OS to leverage their own services as well as provide a better experience.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I would recommend staying away from cheap tablets from china, there are some nice ones but they are far and few between. I also agree with thedroid13 plan on spending 200 to 250 for a tablet and you will be very happy with it and then if you buy one from in the states it will be a lot easier to return if something goes wrong

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
I have both a 4GB Coby MID-1125-4G and a 16 GB Gateway TP-A60 (Acer Iconia A500 (Acer owns Gateway)).

The Gateway/Acer is a great product. Up&coming ICS upgrade from what I hear, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi b/g/n, 5 MP back camera and a nice front one, works with Skype very well, great battery life -- and on and on. Worth the money (I paid $ 285, new). The screen is really nice - I got GTA 3 (GTA = Grand Theft Auto), Spiderman, Assassis Creed (& Revelations), TinTin, SimCity and many paid games on it too. Better for such applications then the Coby as it has a NVIDiA graphics chipset and dual processor - but it'snot about to replace the PS3/XBox360 anytime soon. I have some really cool (paid for) camera application on it - FUNtastic for travel photos.

On the other hand, the Coby is my no-frills workhorse. For example, I use it to play music all day long while working - great when used with external speakers (or headphones) and PowerAMP. I'll also surf (business/work functions) while it's playing (PowerAMP dosn't require much in the way of CPU power). I watched some movies on the weekend - streamed it over the WiFi from my cloud-enabled hard drives to MX Video Player Pro and outputted it at 720p/1080p via the built-in HDMI to a projector (200" inch projection screen). Not too shabby for a low cost tablet! Gets lots of use this way. I also have some paid games on it so I occasionally use it this way. I use my Coby about 8-hours every day and love it (see my review elsewhere).

So while the low-end Coby MID-1125-4G is not as good as the Gateway TP-A60 (Acer Iconia A500) it might all you require for your needs & what you can afford. If you can - buy whatever you're interested in from a store with a good return policy. With the first quad-cores coming out, prices will drop on existing dual-core machines.

If you can afford the higher end tablet you will do fine. If your budget is sparse then the lower end tablets might tie you over. However, don't expect a low end tab (rooted or not (mine is)) to compare to the higher end dual or quad core tablets. It's really different market segments.

Note: Coby will be releasing ICS tablets soon. Basically same hardware, tweaked, and with ICS. Also your selection may vary according to geographic location. The Amazon Kindle Fire, for example, is only available in the US.

Last edited:

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
Coby's tablets are pretty good. I specifically recommend the MID7127-4G. It lacks bluetooth, the Android market (takes you 5 minutes to re-install into it if you look on the forums) and it has smaller storage than most more advanced tablets, but it's a good buy for being $160 on Amazon.

immlkids

Jan 3, 2012
Man this site is awesome. I have searched for days (elsewhere) and am finding more info on here in minutes! I bought my daughter a Coby mid7120 for 93$ on Ebay. Not a fantastic model, but good enough for her. I plan to add Android marketplace to get better apps on it.
For myself I'm still shopping, but am going to take your advice and stay mainstream as far as brand.
If I really don't care about pictures nor skype the Nook tablet sounds good. What about the Galaxy tab 7.0, Archos 101, Vizio Vtab 8?

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I am not very familiar with the Archos or Vizio tabs, but I do know some about the Gtab 7.0. In the tablet world, brand is usually indicative of quality. Any Samsung, Acer, Asus or other high end company tablet will generally work great. The only thing about the ones that you are looking at is AFAIK they are all running Gingerbread or 2.2. If I were you, I would wait and see what comes down the pike in 2012. Because of the release of ICS, there will be a wave of tablets running Honeycomb, which is built for tablets. But if you need a tablet right now, I stick by my recommendation of the Amazon Kindle or the Nook Tablet.
Hope I helped:eek:

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Thanks for advice. After spending a while on this site... I feel foolish for not considering brands like zenithink or ainol. I didn't know they existed. Then......after spending sufficient time studying sites that sell them I'm sceptical. Should I be? China grabber? Gadget Greats?

Hi, i think you should have a look at the ainol tablets and Zenithink tablets, as they're cheap & decent, and with good quality, these two brand tablets both have good reputation from customers in our site, maybe you can find what you want here: Android Tablet PC.

immlkids

Jan 3, 2012
TheDroid13 recommended waiting for new released tablets with ICS....will that happen with the CES 'conference?' What and when is that? Will all of these new tablets be released then?

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I have a cheap Coby Kyros 1024, and it works just fine.
When I realized that it can't really take the place of my laptop for most things, and that it fit in in an entirely different slot than my laptop, I was was then satisfied with it. both units complement each other.
I was going to upgrade, but now I don't really see a reason to... but YMMV.