Mac User Wants to Move Contacts to Tablet-HOW?

RVSteve

Jan 3, 2012
New to Tablet but longtime Mac user.Is there a way to move all my Contacts or Address Book over to my new Tablet? Have tried several things... NO luck.Thanks for any help.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you want automatic syncing, you can link your Mac Contacts (and calendar) with your google account. Then you can set your phone/tablet to sync with your google account and keep it all in sync.

If not, you can export all of your contacts as individual .vcf files (have not tried this on my Mac lately to know how easy it is). Copy these to the internal memory of the tablet and you can import in your Contacts app.

RVSteve

Jan 3, 2012
I have not set up any "Google" account on tablet. I just entered my email accounts. Do I HAVE to set up Google? And can you possible explain a little more on "syncing thru Google"? Sorry.....

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
If you want to have Google services, including apps from the Android Market, then you have to sign up for Google - yes. Just like you have to sign up for the App Store, except you don't need a credit card unless you actually want to buy apps.

You can also download apps from other sites, like Amazon, but you generally need an account with them to download anything as well.

Once you sign up for a Google account, you can export your contacts from the Mac email client (don't know exactly how to do this on a Mac, on a Windows machine it's relatively easy) and import them into Gmail (Google Mail; I'm not sure if you actually need a Gmail email address to have contacts associated with it, I don't think you need to) by uploading the contacts file (it was a .csv for me on Windows, if I remember correctly). Then, when you sign in with your Google account on the tablet, it'll automatically sync everything to the Contacts application (or People application, if you are running Ice Cream Sandwich).

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
From the Mac Address book you can sync to a google email account, no need to export. You can if you want, but it will do the sync for you.

Basically it will work like this:

Mac<-->Google Contacts<-->Android Tablet

Make a change in any of the three places, you have it everywhere. If you have a smartphone, you can link it up with Google Contacts and keep that in sync.