[Review] Trio Stealth Pro 7C Internet Tablet

Goes

May 31, 2011
My problem is that I can't get any of the "Power-other button" combos to do anything. I have several rom files that I'd like to at least try, but no way to get the tablet to take them. Can you use ADB to push a rom to the tablet?

That's great about the CM mod! I'd love to try that. If only...

-dwt
Can you please explain more, what do you mean by not being able to use the Keys combination, did you mean to boot into recover, or to navigate withing the recovery? If it is to boot into recovery use ADB to lauch the following command adb shell "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot" it will reboot the device into recovery, you have to have superuser and buzybox installed. If you cannot navigate withing the recovery, you have to use a flashable image file using livesuit.

Jul 21, 2012
Can you please explain more, what do you mean by not being able to use the Keys combination, did you mean to boot into recover, or to navigate withing the recovery? If it is to boot into recovery use ADB to lauch the following command adb shell "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot" it will reboot the device into recovery, you have to have superuser and buzybox installed. If you cannot navigate withing the recovery, you have to use a flashable image file using livesuit.

Thanks for replying, Goes! The problem is that it doesn't even get to recovery; pressing the key combos does nothing. I'll be trying your solution of booting into recovery using ADB shortly, and will report back. If all else fails, Newegg will take it back, but it would be nice to both a) not have to be without it and b) learn something. :)

-dwt

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for replying, Goes! The problem is that it doesn't even get to recovery; pressing the key combos does nothing. I'll be trying your solution of booting into recovery using ADB shortly, and will report back. If all else fails, Newegg will take it back, but it would be nice to both a) not have to be without it and b) learn something. :)

-dwt

It didn't work. Same result. It reboots, I see a Linux Penguin in the upper left corner (which was like this right out of the box), then after about 10-15 seconds, the "ANDROID" logo appears. It starts its animation where it shows a reflective flash across the length of the word ANDROID, then it seems to stutter, and goes dark for 1/10th of a second or so, then comes back to the logo, repeating ad infinitum.

Thanks, though. Maybe there's something wrong with the hardware...

-dwt

Jul 21, 2012
I should state that the ADB commands appeared to work. The ADB mount was successful, as was the command to reboot. It just gets stuck after that.

Goes

May 31, 2011
Do you have byzybox installed, without byzybox, you will not be able to boot into recovery.

Jul 21, 2012
Do you have byzybox installed, without byzybox, you will not be able to boot into recovery.

you mean busybox, right? Here's what I did:

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp

Now run adb shell
adb shell

Note that you see a "#" sign in the command prompt.
Next run the following commands in the shell to change permissions on the files:

****** Note that the names of the files are case sensitive ******

chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk

now to put the files in the proper locations.

change to the correct directory.
cd /data/local/tmp

copy su and busybox to /system/bin/
./busybox cp -p su /system/bin/
./busybox cp -p busybox /system/bin/

copy Superuser.apk to /system/app/
./busybox cp -p Superuser.apk /system/app/

now reboot.

Goes

May 31, 2011
To make sure you have busybox correctly installed and granted root access, go to superuser check and see if it's there in the allowed root access list.

Jul 21, 2012
To make sure you have busybox correctly installed and granted root access, go to superuser check and see if it's there in the allowed root access list.

If you mean start ADB shell and type Superuser check at the # prompt?... That doesn't work.

What do I need to do check this? It's frustrating to me to be able to link to the tablet and see files on it, copy files to it, and still it hangs...

-dwt

Jul 21, 2012
Tell you what... can you point me to a procedure where I can completely wipe the tablet clean, and then step by step restore it?

Goes

May 31, 2011
Don't try using ADB to do everything on your device, always use it to do only the things that you cannot do it using your device only.
I tried to obtain an original firmware for this device with no luck, even by contacting the company.
Your best bet maybe using an LY-F1 image, using livesuit file to restore your device to its default, as they are identical and I am using a cm9 based LY-F1 ROM. then using the Google play app install superuser and busybox, then take it from there.

Jul 21, 2012
Don't try using ADB to do everything on your device, always use it to do only the things that you cannot do it using your device only.
I tried to obtain an original firmware for this device with no luck, even by contacting the company.
Your best bet maybe using an LY-F1 image, using livesuit file to restore your device to its default, as they are identical and I am using a cm9 based LY-F1 ROM. then using the Google play app install superuser and busybox, then take it from there.

I can't use Livesuite, because it depends on pressing Power and another button, and that does nothing on my machine. I'm sending it back to Newegg. Thanks so much, though, for all your help. I'm sure I'll need more help when I get the replacement :)

hostile

Aug 1, 2012
I've tried every key combination to get into some form of recovery, I've tried adb reboot recovery, adb reboot download, I even tried the above suggested commands. I haven't been able to find a recovery or download in the system yet.
the above directions are for getting a functional superuser/busybox on the system.

Goes

May 31, 2011
I've tried every key combination to get into some form of recovery, I've tried adb reboot recovery, adb reboot download, I even tried the above suggested commands. I haven't been able to find a recovery or download in the system yet.
the above directions are for getting a functional superuser/busybox on the system.

There is a very good possibility that the recovery is not correctly flashed on you device, mine didn't take the normal method, try this one.
METHOD 2 (Manual, ADB commands):
--------------------------------
1.) turn on tablet and leave it at main homescreen
2.) connect the tablet to the computer with a USB cable
3.) open command prompt, navigate your way to this folder where the CWM files are
(For Vista/Win7: hold Shift > right-click on this folder, choose "Open command window here")
5.) run following commands:
(right-click to copy command & right-click to paste into command prompt)

adb push recovery.img /data/
adb shell "cat /data/recovery.img > /dev/block/nandg; sync"

6.) reboot into recovery... with this command:

adb shell "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot"

7.) done