Making your Display Fingerprint-Free and Smudge-Proof for G Tab

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So if you are like me, the most annoying thing about the G Tab has nothing to do with its functionality, but has everything to do with its display, specifically the darn fingerprints and smudges! There is now a fix for this, tested by many people including myself, and works an absolute treat at curing at least 90% of the issue.

The following has even been endorsed by several ViewSonic reps as being the way to go, not only does it prevent almost all fingerprints and smudges but it also gives your display a super silky sexy feel to it.

How to do it? Rain-X! Follow these directions to a super smooth, clean screen that will last at least a month between applications.

1. Clean your screen using a GOOD microfiber cloth and a little bit of water.
2. Repeat step one at least once! You really really want to have your screen as clean and "out-of-the-box" perfect as you possibly can get it. Check it at multiple angles and light to make sure you have no haze, no smudges, no spots.
3. Apply Rain-X to wet the corner of a clean cotton rag
4. Using a gentle swirling motion, apply the rain-x to the screen. It will bead up at first, but continue to swirl it on for about 20-30 seconds until it starts drying to a uniform hazy coating
5. Wet your microfiber cloth again, getting it damp but not dripping and buff off most of the hazy coat
6. When you have most of the haze removed, switch to the dry end of the microfiber and buff off the rest.
7. Go back to the bright lights and multiple viewing angles to check for missed areas.

Good luck and share your results!

astevens54

Dec 3, 2010
Ok, thanks I done both of mine. How often do you have to do this? It looks good, I even did it on my Droid 1 since it has Gorilla glass in it it should be good.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Rain X is an exterior windshield coating to help rain/water run off better with out streaks or spots. This is actually a great idea I'm going to try it on my Droid X.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
the closest SA product is called C-Thru, which I think is almost identical. I know Rain-X is available in Europe from a Swiss Company, and in the UK from Moss (did a quick Google on that part)

koukla

May 30, 2011
pbrauer --- I registered to the site so I could thank you very much for this great tip. It absolutely works and my gTab glass is beautiful. Thanks for your post. --- koukla

soltner59

Apr 24, 2011
Sure makes cleaning the screen a breeze, with the rainx, fingerprints easily wipe off, good tip.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
pbrauer --- I registered to the site so I could thank you very much for this great tip. It absolutely works and my gTab glass is beautiful. Thanks for your post. --- koukla

you are very welcome! And btw....6 months of using it and have no discernible side-effects or problems.

dmcfarland

May 15, 2011
What about buying a scratch protector. Does the rain x protect drom scratches?

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
No, it does nothing to deal with potential screen damage.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

scandata

Jun 23, 2011
Which Rain-X product do I use, just the standard glass cleaner/treatment in the spray bottle? They make several glass treatments for different purposes.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I use the standard stuff for windshields etc. I know some people have tried the wipes, but reported those are too wet.