Manually installing APK's - why not possible?

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
Hi,

my Sony Tablet won't let me install downloaded apk's even though I enabled to install apps from unknown sources in the Android settings. It opens up the install dialog but then I can't click on install - just cancel works.

There is some stuff missing on the market, like WhatsApp and I'd like to install Google Currents but no luck with both...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Alex

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
and what does that help?

have you tried yourself and ever installed an *.apk on a Sony Tablet?
In fact, has anyone ever succeeded in manually installing an apk on a Sony Tablet???

I had no problem finding the *.apk with a file manager and start the installation but on the next screen where i give permissions there is just no way to click on the 'install' button which is greyed out. That happenend on both apk's that I tried, namely Google Currents and Whatsapp...

> Get "ASTRO File Manager" or/and "ES File Explorer"

does it work for you on the Sony Tablet? Have you tried?

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
Yihaa, it really works!

thanks sooo much, couldn't believe at first that Astro would do anything else than the other filemanagers but somehow (why?) it works if I open and install the apk's with the Astro filemanager.

Thanks so much Sonymiss :)

sonymiss

Jan 2, 2012
And that's not all :p, click UP arrow in top/left corner and you'll go in mnt folder where you can see external sd card (folder ==> sdcard2) and USB drives. A lot can be done from there. :D

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
hmmm... ok, interesting...

now, if just somebody could find a way to root it all dreams would come true :)

sonymiss

Jan 2, 2012
I just downloaded Total Comander fromm link you posted and installed by Astro, no problem at all
:confused:
BTW, running android 3.2.1

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
whew, thanks for your feedback... i'm getting closer to the secret. after your post i tried a few times again with no luck. just no way, i could click the install button.

no idea why... but then I rebooted and it worked! So I think that was also why it didn't work before for me... so i think it's not the type of file-explorer at all but just that something is messed up.

interesting... and thanks again for your input - couldn't have gotten so far without you!:D

I just downloaded Total Comander fromm link you posted and installed by Astro, no problem at all
:confused:
BTW, running android 3.2.1