Market on 2.2 Sylvania/Disco - Work In Progress

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Wasn't able to use the chmod root.root /cache command, gave me an error. But chown root.root /cache worked.

rob_writer

Apr 7, 2011
I got the fix to work, but also can't get the market to update (not that this is a problem).

It'd be great if one day we can fix the location issue because then the apps that use it would work, but having the market is a good step.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I got the fix to work, but also can't get the market to update (not that this is a problem).

Can you check your /cache folder to see if you have a file named "download.apk" stuck there? I observed that once the Permissions and Properties were changed for the file and folder, the icon representing that file change to the Market handbag icon and it would install once clicked on instead of giving a "parse" error.

It'd be great if one day we can fix the location issue because then the apps that use it would work, but having the market is a good step.
I'm looking at the update files they have assembled for this similar device to see if some combination will restore location settings. Unfortunately, their update process is different than this device and they still can only see Free apps.

PS If you are using RootExplorer to view /cache and there is a file "download.apk" there, click on it you will have to option to Install or View. View the file, in the next window click on the AndroidManifest.xml. There you can view what file it really is by reading the header information and if it is Market (Vending.apk) it will show what version. If you click view and all you get is a White screen. There is something wrong with your SD card. Get another card or try and re-format. This could be an issue will allowing applications to install. A few things to try, good luck.

Last edited:

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
I don't know if this matters, but I don't have Checkin Service listed so I can't clear the data from that. I can see all the free apps, but still have unsuccessfull downloads. Since I can side load apps from my phone this is not a huge deal (a bit of a pain) so at this point I think I give up until there is a step by step process developed to get the market working on our devices.

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Can anyone upload the checkin services .apk so I can try and push it to my tablet? For some reason I dont have it either.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
For some reason I dont have it either.

It may not be relevant to Google Experience on 2.2. It seems this service is combined in to the Google Services Framework.apk, or at least I see Check In services in it database. The sequence to clear Market cache was copied from 2.1 but parts of it still seemed relevant.

Last edited:

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Trying something unique here, edited my build.prop to get my tab to think its a htc glacier (mytouch 4g) :) so far it boots and runs perfect. Going to reinstall my gapps and google framework to see what happens

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
First impression, my tablets running alot faster/better.... stock browser loads faster, market fc's as soon as it loads, but everthing else works perfect. Gonna try a fix permissions to see if that helps with the market......

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Might have to flash back to stock and start this process over, starting with editing the build prop then installing the gapps.... But the good news is my tab runs bettet when it thinks its a htc glacier :)

rob_writer

Apr 7, 2011
Editing the build prop to that of the htc vision fixed all my gapps issues :)

Could you post your build prop file? I tried to edit mine but it seemed to revert back to the original one when I rebooted. Does this do anything to help the location problem? And can you access paid for apps?

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah... could you post that edit? sounds like the fix we are looking for to most of our problems.