Maximizing the tablet for movies

Discussion in 'Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum' started by redmage9, Jun 24, 2013.

1. redmage9

redmage9 Member

So I recently got a used Acer A500 and was looking for some advice. I'm planning on using the device primarily for movie playback on a HDTV.

I've tried some file playback already and some stuff really chugs on both moboplayer and mxplayer.

As far as I can tell, everything is stock on it and there are no available system updates.

Can someone please suggest what might be the best OS/setup to install on this for what I'm looking for? (I'd also prefer to be able to use flash, but it's not a total dealbreaker)

I'm not familiar with the process of rooting the tablet, but I'm not opposed to trying it if there's a vastly better setup when it comes to processing video playback software side.

Thanks in advance.

2. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
    Welcome to the forum

Yoiu asked the wrong question. It isn't as much a matter of optimizing the tablet for movies as it is optimizing the movies for the tablet. Moves should optimal;ly be in MP4 format H264 coding. You may want to try re-encoding with a conversion program. The payers you are using should work just finer with a properly formatted movie.

3. Frederuco

Frederuco Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    ASUS TF101
    Agreed. I rip my movies using DVD Catalyst to mp4 H264.

I have had good luck with 720p mkv files in MX player, but mp4 is much easier on the tablet to play.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
    He meant HAD GOOD ;);) So have I. ;)

5. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

As Frederuco and Leeshor already suggested, it is more about optimizing your videos for your tablet.

Mobo Player, Dice Player, MX Player are all like swiss-army knives when it comes to playing different types of video, but in order to do so, they often use software-decoding.

Software decoding uses the CPU extensively, and especially with HD video files the processor (which is physically designed to have low battery-consumption) just isnt strong enough.

Android tablets such as your A500 have gpu-assisted (hardware) video decoding build-in for certain video formats, and this can handle a lot more than that the CPU can. It is even possible to play full HD (1080p) videos on your tablet if your videos are hardware-optimized (and if you use a video player that is set to use hardware decoding or the build-in Gallery for example).

For your conversions, I would suggest to give DVD Catalyst a try. Especially if you have a large collection of video files, there is nothing that works easier and quicker than DVD Catalyst.

Here is a link to an easy to follow guide:

https://www.tools4movies.com/dvd-catalyst-acer-a500-guide-2/

6. redmage9

redmage9 Member

Thanks everyone. I'm still learning the ropes with it. I will have to give that software a shot.

Generally most stuff does seem to run pretty well on either Mobo or MKV but I have had a few where it was definitely unwatchable.

On the OS side of things I should probably just leave it stock as it sounds like it's a negligible upgrade (if any) then?

7. Frederuco

Frederuco Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    ASUS TF101
    Make sure you have the latest (should be a version of Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0.4 or 4.0.3). But, upgrading beyond that is not easy.