Media Remote - Fatal Flaw

kolotyluk

Nov 29, 2011
I just discovered a fatal flaw in the Media Remote application from Sony - it does not work if your TV is configured for a wired network connection.

I have a Bravia XBR-65HX929. When it is configured to use the internal WiFi then Sony's Media Remote works fine, but when the TV is configured to use the wired network connection Media Remote cannot discover or connect to the TV.

OK folks, this is not rocket science, such a design restriction can only be explained because the people designing the application just don't know how computer networks work. Even though the TV is connected via a wired connection, it is still on the same subnet as the rest of the devices, including the WiFi devices. Restricting access to only devices on the same WiFi is simply monumental stupidity.

Why can't Sony hire any people who actually know something about networks and how they work? For decades Sony has been designing and creating some of the best consumer electronics products ever, but when it comes to computers, software, networks, etc. they simply seem to hire the most incompetent morons on the planet. Does anyone remember the Root-Kit Fiasco?

It is no wonder Apple kicked Sony's butt with the iPod and iPhone - because Apple actually hires people with Computing Science degrees whereas Sony only seems to be able to hire hackers.

The reason I have a Sony Tablet S is generally because it was free with the purchase of the rest of my home entertainment equipment.

JasHDahi

Mar 29, 2012
kolotyluk said:
I just discovered a fatal flaw in the Media Remote application from Sony - it does not work if your TV is configured for a wired network connection.

I have a Bravia XBR-65HX929. When it is configured to use the internal WiFi then Sony's Media Remote works fine, but when the TV is configured to use the wired network connection Media Remote cannot discover or connect to the TV.

OK folks, this is not rocket science, such a design restriction can only be explained because the people designing the application just don't know how computer networks work. Even though the TV is connected via a wired connection, it is still on the same subnet as the rest of the devices, including the WiFi devices. Restricting access to only devices on the same WiFi is simply monumental stupidity.

Why can't Sony hire any people who actually know something about networks and how they work? For decades Sony has been designing and creating some of the best consumer electronics products ever, but when it comes to computers, software, networks, etc. they simply seem to hire the most incompetent morons on the planet. Does anyone remember the Root-Kit Fiasco?

It is no wonder Apple kicked Sony's butt with the iPod and iPhone - because Apple actually hires people with Computing Science degrees whereas Sony only seems to be able to hire hackers.

The reason I have a Sony Tablet S is generally because it was free with the purchase of the rest of my home entertainment equipment.

Could this not be related to the issue many experiance with DLNA and Throwing functionality?

I posted this after I sorted out my issues:

I had the same issue which resolved itself when I set up a second access point to extend my coverage using an old sky router.
Not satisfied with not knowing why I looked into all of my home networks settings and could only conclude that it is the security types that account for this issue.
My original Belkin still does not allow dlna servers to be found but connecting to the sky one allows that and also the "Throwing" functionality.
The Belkin has wpa/wpa2 and the sky wpa-pka-tkip listed against them.

Philipsy

Aug 3, 2012
I have a Sony 40EX650 and is connected through a wired network connection. The app is working fine..