Meet the Cube U9GT5: latest iPad clone features a Retina-like display for $265

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
cubeu9gt5tabletc.jpg

A friend just posted this in another forum - and I think it's worth spreading the news :

GnatGoSplat said:
I hadn't heard about this one - Cube U9GT5.

I really like the Retina display on my dad's iPad 3, but I just prefer Android.
Looks like about $280.49 shipped to me direct from the manufacturer. $100 cheaper than a refurb iPad 3.
Mmmmm, Retina Display... tempting.

Full article below :

Meet the Cube U9GT5: China's latest iPad clone features a Retina-like display and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for under £200
by Desire Athow, 05 October, 2012

Chinese knock off masters Cube are upping the ante in the look-a-like tablet game, it seems, introducing a new 9.7in device with an IPS display and 2,048 x 1,536 pixel resolution - the same as the new iPad from Apple.

What’s more, the Cube U9GT5 costs only $265 direct from the manufacturer (about £160), before shipping, which was estimated at around $25 (£15) for registered airmail to the UK. Even adding that on and arriving at a total price of £175, that's stiil less than half the price of its third-generation Apple iPad counterpart, which starts at £400.

The U9GT5 (sometimes also labelled with a Roman numeral 'V' in place of the digit '5'), runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, and features 1GB of RAM in addition to 16GB on-board memory, and front and rear-facing 2-megapixel cameras. In the cockpit, the device sports a dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.6GHz.

It also boasts 10 hours of battery life thanks to a 10,000mAh engine - one of the largest we have seen on any tablets - while connectivity features include a microUSB port, a microSD card reader, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

While the U9GT5 is inferior to the new iPad in some respects, by the time Apple's fourth-generation tablet is launched next year, it is likely that Chinese manufacturers like Cube will have bettered the current-gen model, with quad-core or even octo-core devices with more or less the same specifications, but at a much lower price point.

Unfortunately, most of these Chinese brands are unknown in the Western world, which makes it difficult for them to be trusted - especially since there’s no local post-sale support.

Cube lists the U9GT5 as available for pre-order up until 13 October, and offers discounts for bulk buying.

Source : ITproPortal, thanks GnatGoSplat for the LPL post. ;)