Meiying M10 difficulties

MrFightGuy

Feb 5, 2012
Hey, Folks!

My lovely wife bought me a Meiying M10 8GB (runs on gingerbread 2.3), and I'm having some real problems. I've managed to download 1 of the 20 or so apps I've wanted to download since I got it 6 days ago. The browser crawls. I'm connected to my home wireless network, and yet it takes minutes to load a page that my crappy dell laptop (sitting 1 foot away), loads in less than a second, if the page loads at all. Accessing the android market is possible, yet fraught with network errors and re-try prompts. Even when I connect to my PC and download apps through my browser, nothing comes up. The app installer app finds no .apk files anywhere, and the download counter that pops up from moment to moment never says I have any more than 2% of a file. The only app I've been able to dload is the advanced task killer, and I'm still not entirely sure whether I did that through the wireless or through my laptop. I've messed with the settings, left the device inches from my wireless router, used voodoo and other dark, unclean magics to try to nudge it along, but nothing's working.

Meiying has no tech support. No number, no website, no contact info to be found on the web. No info in the incredibly basic and underwhelming instruction manual, which claims that I should be able to download applications easily. The reviews of this tablet that I could find are all limited to one page of the dinodirect sales site where she bought it, and have all obviously been written by the same person with the same bad grammar and limited command of the English language. Video reviews on YouTube aren't even reviews, just vids of people playing with the tablet to classical piano music. Everybody online seems happy with the M11, but there is no info to be had on the M10. So, ignoring that sinking feeling you get when you buy a used car and the dealership closes down and leaves town en masse the next day, I've had to come up with some theories of my own:

1- This is a shiny Chinese paperweight that my wife and I have only mistaken for a droid tablet.

2- The fact that I own a droid phone (a Sony/Ericsson Xperia) somehow confused my tablet when I connected it to my PC

3 - I've failed, somehow, to configure the system to American networks. Why this might happen, while using a bare-bones, enthusiastically basic instruction manual written in 3rd grade English, is beyond me.

4 - I'm doing something else wrong (see issues in theory #3).

Help?

Thanks,

Nate

MrFightGuy

Feb 5, 2012
Nope! No one's helping. Only the tiniest apps can be dloaded from the marketplace, and the browser gives me network errors and re-starts constantly. I have been able to install a few apps by downloading .apk files to my computer and transferring them, then using the app manager to install them. However, because my tablet's download speeds are still atrocious, any app that requires a secondary download of more tan a MB or two is worthless. I installed one app, and on opening it, it told me it needed to download another 100MB of data. I hit yes, put it down next to my wireless router and came back 20 hours later only to find that it had completed a whopping 3% of the download, then quit, forcing me to re-start. So, I've got a few crappy games, but the productivity apps I was hoping for just aren't happening.

I got the web browsing to pick up a bit by installing Firefox, but browsing, if it happens at all, still happens at 1/4 or less the speed that my laptop gets, even when the two devices are side by side and within 5 feet of the wireless router. Needless to say, it's deeply frustrating. I've toggled almost every function in the setting, wiped the device and started over, and still no results.

Let me add that I have no mobile account for this tablet. I'm interested in using it for light mobile computing, NOT as a phone. All my internet access is through my decently fast home wireless.

Cheers and good luck to you guys. If you find out anything, let me know.

Nate

techmomva

Feb 11, 2012
Nate:

I located their site:?????Android??? MID ?? ?400-600-1623 (www.meiying.hk) unfortunately it is all in Chinese. I am used Google Translator to located the parent company site Shenzhen Micro Technology, which is in English. I sent an email in the hopes that someone there could send me an email contact at Meiying that I could communicate with in English. Will let you know if I get anywhere.

Last edited:

KevinS

Feb 18, 2012
I was in the market for a Kindle so when Cudo offered this unit for $155 I thought it was worth a punt with the extra $$$. I have set up a Gmail address and have emails from my home computer and business server coming to it OK. Have downloaded map apps that work for gps accuracy. I am having problems with browsing but put that down to web sites not being set up for Android technonogy. Book dowload and reading works well with eReader books at least. I haven't tried any others yet.

My greatest frustration is that I can't find a way to send an email from the device. There is no function to even respond to an incoming email. Probably an app available that I have not found yet. Most email apps seem to be about synchronising with emails on your computer.

If any others have bought from Cudo we might have some chance of pushing them to get service. They are quite responsive to complaints due to the attention given to internet traders by the authorities.

Kevin

34GeeTeeTee

Feb 19, 2012
We purchased 2 of them to see how they went, but it seems when i plugged the USB in the computer could not install the thing, KevinS what did you do to get the thing started?

KevinS

Feb 18, 2012
We purchased 2 of them to see how they went, but it seems when i plugged the USB in the computer could not install the thing, KevinS what did you do to get the thing started?

I just turned it on and farmiliarised myself with it using the manual (such as it is!). I have connectd it to the computer but only to have a look at what was in the memory and to load a driver for the 16 Gb chip that I added.

Otherwise I have downloaded some apps and some books. My computer literate son showed me yesterday how to set up for sending emails.

I have contacted a couple of web sites that I use a lot from my computer, and want to access on the tablet, and have been told that they have to do more work to make their site Android friendly.

I am interested in setting the unit up for "moving map" navigation and it seems possible. I have been told that Android runs rings around Apple for navigation.

Cheers,

Kevin

Heth

Feb 21, 2012
Hi, I also bought the Meiying M10 tablet via CUDO who were offering on-line vouchers for $155 for the tablet. It was supplied from Dino Direct in China who are just an outlet for these plus many other things. Delivery very fast. I tried putting my 3G dongle in and it wouldn't work. I am going to ring my ISP later today to ask for a solution.

However, "curiosity killed the cat" and I took it down to the local McDonald's yesterday to use their free Wifi. Bought a coffee and sat there with the tablet and it did connect to the net via their Wifi, so I know it at least works on Wifi. Unfortunately I no longer have Wifi/Modem since getting the dongle which I got mainly because then I can take the laptop with me wherever I go and can get on the net, and had thought I would be able to do same with the Android.

Not being a computer technician, I am wondering if maybe my dongle is just not compatible with an Android Tablet because when I finally did get on the net with it via Wifi, I checked my email via my ISP server site and I read something about Windows Live which the Android also had mentioned. MY ISP comments were something along the lines that all new members from February would automatically be able to get Windows Live and would have 4G internet and that all older customers would have access to this by the end of 2012 (seems a long time to wait), but what is Windows Live?? I somehow thought that was something to do with email, but as I said, I am no computer technician. My 3G dongle works on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 no probs.

I did notice the Android ran very slow at McDonald's and the lady who served me said it could be something to do with their Wifi, but unsure about that.

I am not really interested in downloading apps as such, but wanted something that will keep me up a little bit with technology, being almost 67 it is all starting to pass me by. I really want to be able to check email, go on Facebook and check my banking details when away from home or the convenience of just being able to use it in the evening when watching the telly.

So far I am extremely pleased with the life of the battery when charged. I have also managed to transfer some of my music and photos from my computer over to my Android, but am nervous now that I have done my money and will just be left with a gadget that will just be a glorified photo book and music centre unless I can connect the dongle.

Anyone know what the solution is to get my 3G dongle to work, short of having to have a Wifi modem installed at home again.

I

Hey, Folks!

My lovely wife bought me a Meiying M10 8GB (runs on gingerbread 2.3), and I'm having some real problems. I've managed to download 1 of the 20 or so apps I've wanted to download since I got it 6 days ago. The browser crawls. I'm connected to my home wireless network, and yet it takes minutes to load a page that my crappy dell laptop (sitting 1 foot away), loads in less than a second, if the page loads at all. Accessing the android market is possible, yet fraught with network errors and re-try prompts. Even when I connect to my PC and download apps through my browser, nothing comes up. The app installer app finds no .apk files anywhere, and the download counter that pops up from moment to moment never says I have any more than 2% of a file. The only app I've been able to dload is the advanced task killer, and I'm still not entirely sure whether I did that through the wireless or through my laptop. I've messed with the settings, left the device inches from my wireless router, used voodoo and other dark, unclean magics to try to nudge it along, but nothing's working.

Meiying has no tech support. No number, no website, no contact info to be found on the web. No info in the incredibly basic and underwhelming instruction manual, which claims that I should be able to download applications easily. The reviews of this tablet that I could find are all limited to one page of the dinodirect sales site where she bought it, and have all obviously been written by the same person with the same bad grammar and limited command of the English language. Video reviews on YouTube aren't even reviews, just vids of people playing with the tablet to classical piano music. Everybody online seems happy with the M11, but there is no info to be had on the M10. So, ignoring that sinking feeling you get when you buy a used car and the dealership closes down and leaves town en masse the next day, I've had to come up with some theories of my own:

1- This is a shiny Chinese paperweight that my wife and I have only mistaken for a droid tablet.

2- The fact that I own a droid phone (a Sony/Ericsson Xperia) somehow confused my tablet when I connected it to my PC

3 - I've failed, somehow, to configure the system to American networks. Why this might happen, while using a bare-bones, enthusiastically basic instruction manual written in 3rd grade English, is beyond me.

4 - I'm doing something else wrong (see issues in theory #3).

Help?

Thanks,

Nate

Heth

Feb 21, 2012
Kevin S, where did you get the 16GB chip, how much was it and was it a matter of just inserting it in the micro sd card slot and it worked????

Heth

Feb 21, 2012
Kevin S I just noticed you said you plugged it into your computer to load a driver, can you tell me what site to go to for the driver and is it a free download?? I may not need more memory as I won't be using my tablet for a lot of downloads, mainly just for a couple of sites I use like Facebook, Internet Banking and a bit of browsing.

Lefty

Feb 22, 2012
Hi
Like most of you I purchased my M10 from CUDO. Seemed like a cheap way to get into the tablet market. Apps are downloading easily. Gmail account is fine but how did you work out how to send emails. All I've come across is how to receive them.
I am looking for a cover for the M10. Shops I've been to do not have the correct size. Any suggestions?
How have you gone trying to add a new wi fi connection. It seems a lot of work.
Thanks if anyone can assist.
cheers

MrFightGuy

Feb 5, 2012
Way to hijack the thread, guys. I started this because I'm having all kinds of issues with my unit, and now you're all talking about your own issues which seem to be different from mine. I'm trying to get almost anything to work properly on this tablet. If you wanna talk about SD cards, then start your own thread, please? I'm having enough trouble getting help as it is!

Heth

Feb 21, 2012
Since posting here the other night, I have been to my Daughter's and my Meiying 10 connected really well to her wifi in house. She set my email up for me as she just copied what she had done on her ipad since we both are with the same server. I got my email and was able to send an email, but only managed to do one as the power ran out and I forgot to take my charger. I again went to McDonald's today to connect to their free wifi and it was a different establishment to the one I went to on Tuesday. Connection wasn't very good and to get onto Google was extremely hard, probably due to the high volume of the free wifi (hopefully and not the tablet). I still have not been able to connect my 3G dongle to the tablet and am about to give up and get Bigpond to come out and install wifi with modem for me. When I tried to download a book when in Macca's it would not let me do it, kept being told something about it being an unsecure site so me thinks that anything you want to download can't be done on a public wifi??? Does anyone know???? I am hoping this is the case rather than it meaning trouble with anything I download because I also downloaded a free game the other day, but it wouldn't open so I deleted it. Probably would have been so much easier just spending the extra money and getting the ipad!!!! or a better Android. :confused: