MEMO Pad M172V VERY Flaky

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
We bought this Memo Pad 7" and immediately had power connector issues. They sent it back working but it quickly started flaking out.

It will boot, but will usually start erroring out as soon as you click anything or 2 or 3 clicks in.

"process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"

"exchange services has stopped"

Absolute rubbish.

What have we gotten ourselves into?

Tablet is useless and we're taking off on a 12-day road trip in a couple of days. "Warranty" is a joke, we have to pay both ways, and it takes a month.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a corruption to me. Go to the app manager and scroll to all. You will find an app by that name. tap it and tell it to clear the cache and anything else it will allow you to clear, then force stop and restart your MeMo.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a corruption to me. Go to the app manager and scroll to all. You will find an app by that name. tap it and tell it to clear the cache and anything else it will allow you to clear, then force stop and restart your MeMo.

Thanx for the welcome.

I WISH it were as easy as you say, but after I click on ANYTHING, the problems start and the ONLY solution is to shut it down (not a solution, but still the ONLY thing you can do once it flakes out).

You said to go to the app manager, no problem. Scroll to all, no problem. "app by that name... tap on it" WHAT NAME? I'm asking this knowing full well I can't tap on anything without the bloody thing failing, but figured I'd ask anyway...

thanx.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It should be process com.google.process or an app with gapps in the name.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
Unable to yet. I'm trying various hard reset procedures and so far nothing.

Every time it finally does restart, the first touch of the screen starts the never-ending error message parade.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
I have been able to get a "USB?" icon with "No USB cable connected!" below it, when pressing power and volume buttons to power up, but I can't get a response from any button presses.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
See my thread on another forum for instructions on a hard reset. Nothing will be lost if the directions are followed.

Thread is here Various quick fixes links and help.

Yes, as I stated previously, the only response I got was when I press power and hold down volume buttons to start, and then it's only that advisory and no further button presses or combination of button presses do anything at all.

I figured out the pinhole reset button and now I've got the little Android with "Type in your password" (with keyboard screen) and "Type password to decrypt storage" at the top. It's also "ticking".

We never set a password on this tablet...

(I tried "admin" and "password" ; no joy)

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
I just downloaded the "cleardata.zip" file and transferred the unzipped files to an SD chip. That gave me the blue screen, I selected clear user data, and now it won't start up. Just gets to the spinning "wait" blobs and hangs there, or goes blank.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
By now I have wasted more than a half day trying to reboot this &%$#@{ thing.

I am finally giving up and will probably get what little enjoyment remains in it by smashing it with a 5 pound sledge hammer

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't see why you shouldn't at least be able to do a factory reset. That can also be done at the hardware level. All your data would be lost but the tablet should be good as gold afterwards.

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
After leaving it sit all night, It started up in "out of the box" new mode. (Did 3 hardware resets with "cleardata" and it WOULD NOT RESTART yesterday)

I hope it stays working for at least 2 weeks till we are back from our road trip...

grandpaul

Dec 21, 2013
Okay, another half day wasted. Got the hard reset tablet going, setup the WiFi, started arranging icons, and it's back with "unfortunately, XYZ has stopped working" error parade.

I'm starting to look for my hammer...

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
A factory reset is still advisable. On another forum 1 user was buying Transformers (cheap) on the Internet that were supposedly not working and has equipped his entire (extended) family with great tablets that all work. (he claims that many only needed a factory reset). Exchanging your TF leaves the data and info on it vulnerable if you don't reset it.