Merry Christmas! You got a tablet!

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
So, many of you are finding us via Google. You're looking for help with that Pandigital, Leader Impressions, Coby, Velocity Micro Cruz, Craig, other minor brand or Chinese Shanzhai tablet.

First of all, welcome! We're glad you've joined our community. You need to know that Android is an open source operating system. It can be, and is, loaded onto hundreds of hardware configurations by dozens of manufacturers. Only devices that have applied for and received Google certification come with Google apps pre-installed right out of the box. (Google apps include Android market, Google maps, YouTube, etc) It isn't Google's or Android's fault that the tablet you have doesn't do what you want it to do.

Secondly, most likely, your new tablet will run the Android market. You may have to side-load it. You may have to even root your tablet in order to correctly install it. For most tablets, instructions can be found in the applicable sub-forum for your tablet brand/model here or as instructional videos on YouTube. Please read/view the entire instruction prior to beginning.

Third, rooting is typically reserved for advanced users. While it CAN be a fairly simple process, it can also go terribly wrong. You'll end up with a nice paperweight if you rush headlong into rooting a device that doesn't have a good backup/restore available.

Fourth, NEVER, EVER flash a new ROM unless you have access to a recovery method with a known good backup.

Finally, enjoy your new device for what it is. If it was a $75 drugstore special, expect it to perform like it. Web browsing, email, e-reader are reasonable expectations for such a device. If you spend some time and research and effort, you can usually get greater functionality, up to the limits of your device's hardware. Some hardware will not run Netflix or Hulu+. Some hardware will not run some games or Flash or certain apps. Unfortunately, changing hardware means buying a different tablet.

Good luck and have fun! Welcome to Android!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

Taneya

Dec 25, 2011
And can you tell me what Rooting is??? And why would I need to do this. Mine has the android market, but i want to get youtube on it and just play some games and every time i go to download them they all fail!

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Rooting gives you access to the root directory of the file system. It allows you to remove factory installed bloatware. It allows you to install custom ROMs and to create backups.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum